Tuckpointing in Busselton WA

Does anyone know of any tuckpointers or mortar repairers in Busselton, Bunbury or nearby areas in WA.

I have some badly cracked internal walls that need repairing and am having trouble finding someone.

Not another J-corp thermalite brick job is it? About 15years old?
Internal brick is almost white, sponge looking, very soft can be cut with a knife.

Just a guess but they did a lot in the area.

I haven't had a close look at the bricks, but the age is about right. Looks like I'll need to remove and replaster over the affected area. Still trying to find tradesmen to do the job down there.

I am hoping its not for your sake.
Easy way to find out is locate an gas point. Should be a wall airvent in the same room.
Carefully pull it straight out they are just held by 4 spring clips. Just be warned if its a thermalite the entire plaster coating may start to come as well! Once the vent is out you can see the brick.
The other thing is if you walk around and tap the walls a lot will sound very hollow as the plaster has lifted from the brick.

This is a lesson I learnt the hard way. :mad:
I managed to get the builder to install steel lintels above several large windows and doors as the brick was collapsing in those areas. House was just in its 10 year structural warranty period at the time.
Then spent something like 2k doing a fairly extensive repair of the plaster.

I should have sold the place then, but didn't and now about 5years latter every room has cracks. I bumped the back of the pantry a few months ago and now have a 2cm crack with the plaster just sitting loose.

The only reason I am not more stressed about it is the value of the land is fast approaching the official valuation of the property. So a bulldozer may be in the works when I get sick of it.

Edit: Just been reminded its more of a grey color than white.

Last edited:
The cracking sounds exactly like what I've got. I have a nasty suspicion it is Thermalight. Unfortunately I'm out of the warranty period.

So my options are basically to strip all the plaster and drywall it, or to keep patching the plaster.

Is the drywall option a long term solution?

@Ausprop - I haven't had a valuation done for a while, but talking to my agent friend down there, things have been stagnant for quite a while, in terms of values. Rents certainly aren't moving quickly.

I think I've had a lucky break. The builder quoting on the repair job is pretty sure the bricks aren't thermalite, and that the problem is with the float. The render lifting appears to be limited to the areas immediately surrounding the cracks, and while the cracks are extensive the fix won't be overly expensive.

He's going to double check the bricks tomorrow and confirm, so fingers crossed that the repairs won't be as extensive as I first thought.

Got confirmation that I don't have those foamy thermalite bricks. The problem is with the render being made too strong. Repairs won't be too expensive, though the house will be vacant for 4-5 weeks. Guess I can live with that.

Big sigh of relief at this end. Something else to add to my pre-purchase checklist!

Thanks all for your comments on this.

Back