Turf for rental and equity raise?

Hi all, I'm currently in the process of installing a french door and fencing up the sideyard to create a nice little private outdoor area, accessible form the kitchen.

Property has some nasty weeds around it, which I am planning to get a gardener to remove them. But question is, do I have to go as far as to install turf (or synthetic turf)?

Main reno motivation is to manufacture equity and refinance
, but it is also a rental (tenants generally don't maintain the turf?)

Don't go as far as turfing.

Go to Bunnings etc and get some weed spray and a sprayer and spray the lawn. Its coming into the wrong season for lawn prep with winter coming, but concentrate on killing weeds and maybe a lawn feed or fertiliser wouldn't hurt . There's heaps online about lawn care

How is the other work coming along?

Tenants are not known for their pride in looking after the LL's property.

Your expense for the lawn or artificial grass will probably be wasted, and need doing again in the near future.

Better off to spend a bit more (or maybe even less), and put down proper outdoor pavers...big, heavy ones.

Bullet-proof (tenant proof) and look good.

Tenants are not known for their pride in looking after the LL's property.

Your expense for the lawn or artificial grass will probably be wasted, and need doing again in the near future.

Better off to spend a bit more (or maybe even less), and put down proper outdoor pavers...big, heavy ones.

Bullet-proof (tenant proof) and look good.

Couldn't agree more with Bayview. It's heart braking but tenants can ruin a nice lawn and gardens in less than 12 months of doing nothing or doing what they typically do - let grass grow to 12+ inches then mow and repeat that cycle over and over. Put pavers down.

Is this out the back where the door is going to go? Paving that would be a substantial cost easily $5k. Maybe just do a paved landing and wed the grass

There's a lot of 'potholes' on the ground (see attached photo) :(:(

Ground looks cracked and dry. Very unappealing. If I go in with a shovel and just start excavate and refill with fresh dirt (just on these cracked spots), would it be better for the valuation?

A quote for synthetic lawn came in $5 - 8k.

How is the other work coming along?

Fencing is scheduled to come up next week. Then it's the french door, etc.

Attachments

• 20150508_171016.jpg
    20150508_171016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
Back