Turf v Grass Seeds

Hi Guys,

A month or so ago i ripped up a garden bed on an IP. My intention initially was to lay turf down but now I'm thinking about grass seeds as an cheaper option. The area i need to fill is about 10-15 square meters. Has anyone used grass seeds before for an area of this size or would you just go with the turf option?

Turf only please.

Have tried seeds in the past and if you are lucky enough to get it coming up then you have most probably had an inundation and all the seed has washed to one side of the yard.

Expect very patchy results and no real cover for a year.

Cheers

Probably a bit late now to try seed with cooler weather coming, will not do
much until next summer.

15 sq of sirwalter at bunnings should only cost $150 and cheaper if you
take a drive to Windsor to pick up yourself.

Sirwalter is slow growing so your tenant should like it as well.

Hi Nik,

Your such a tight wad ;) - In a good way!

I used lawn seeds sometimes on crappy renters, however if its for a reval or sale and need it instant lawn is better. Its like carpeting the outside of the house. You can buy turf for $3 per meter from bunnings and the likes so thats around $50 for 15sqm :)

Hi Guys,

A month or so ago i ripped up a garden bed on an IP. My intention initially was to lay turf down but now I'm thinking about grass seeds as an cheaper option. The area i need to fill is about 10-15 square meters. Has anyone used grass seeds before for an area of this size or would you just go with the turf option?

Nik
The seeds won't look good and as others said its not the right season for them to grow.
Look up buffalo turf on ebay and get in touch with one of the growers from Windsor. Austine is a cheaper buffalo similar to sirwalter and will be ok in an IP. Growers normally ask for a delivery fee but tell them you are not in a hurry and get them to deliver when they are in the area.
Otherwise you can pick up some rolls from Bunnings and do several trips with your car.

Nik
The seeds won't look good and as others said its not the right season for them to grow.
Look up buffalo turf on ebay and get in touch with one of the growers from Windsor. Austine is a cheaper buffalo similar to sirwalter and will be ok in an IP. Growers normally ask for a delivery fee but tell them you are not in a hurry and get them to deliver when they are in the area.
Otherwise you can pick up some rolls from Bunnings and do several trips with your car.

Don't forget Bunnings free trailer use.
Maybe the op could buy a few screws from them put in trailer to take home via Windsor.

Back