TV recording question

OK so silly dumb blonde techno question :rolleyes:

What do I have to buy to be able to record ALL the tv channels these days?
We have a HD TV that gets all the new HD channels...but our VCR only gets the old 2,7,9,10,sbs combo.

Not sure where to look...Do I need a HD recorder?? or something else??

Please be gentle :eek:

Yep, you need a HD recorder. You can either buy a blu-ray recorder or buy a PVR (personal video recorder) with a HD tuner. The PVR is probably the better option, purely because you can retape over stuff as many times as you want. As far as I know there are still no re-recordable blu-ray discs as yet, so I think that would be a very expensive option.

Good PVR's with HD tuners are Tivo, Topfield or BeyonWiz. If you struggle with using new equipment, the Tivo might be the way to go as the user interface is very good and it's very easy to program. The Topfield and Beyonwiz are pretty similar (one of the original owner of Topfield left to start up Beyonwiz when things didn't go his way), but these are said to be much harder to use. Having said that, i have two Topfield recorders in my house and love them both. I'd would have gotten a Tivo, but you get a much smaller hard drive for the money which was the killer for me.

Good PVR's with HD tuners are Tivo, Topfield or BeyonWiz

OK so these sound like the way to go :)...now where do I buy them ??? Harvey Norman??

(FoxtelIQ is not an option...don't want to pay for the teeny bit of tv we do watch :) )

OK so these sound like the way to go :)...now where do I buy them ??? Harvey Norman??

I bought a Topfield 7160 a few months ago from JB Hifi. Really happy with it, although can be a little bit 'quirky'. However, Topfield have a 'help' forum which is really useful, and any questions you have are answered promptly.
As for ease of recording, it is all so easy.
Cheers
Amy

We have a computer with two tuners in it running PVR software, so disk space isn't an issue. The best thing is its on wireless, so The Child can take her laptop into her room and watch ABC3 without the toddler complaining she can't watch Captain Mack. And we can watch the news at 5 in the kitchen (the laptop locks her out at 4pm ... mmmm parental controls) with the Night Garden on in the lounge :cool:

My mum has a Beyonwiz and she loves it.

She is a bit of a numpty when it comes to anything technical so I assume it is very user friendly.

Cheers,

I have had one of the $79 Kogan HD PVR's for a month or more now and like it.
You can plug a hard drive in the front via USB for recording which I find a handy feature.

We have a computer with two tuners in it running PVR software, so disk space isn't an issue. The best thing is its on wireless, so The Child can take her laptop into her room and watch ABC3 without the toddler complaining she can't watch Captain Mack. And we can watch the news at 5 in the kitchen (the laptop locks her out at 4pm ... mmmm parental controls) with the Night Garden on in the lounge :cool:

You can also setup four tuners for those technically inclined.

I have had one of the $79 Kogan HD PVR's for a month or more now and like it.
You can plug a hard drive in the front via USB for recording which I find a handy feature.

Like the sound (and price) of that... Off to buy the Kogan $79 one online
Thanks

I have been interested in doing the same (recording TV shows to watch later) but I too am a dinosaur in this techy age. Is there any way of recording shows that take out the ads? My big grievance is a commercial stations showing a good movie, which I refuse to watch, as you get 5 mins of the show then 5 mins of mindless ads. :):)

Back