Two beds or three? (Ballarat OTP)

I'm just kicking this one around in my mind at the moment. It's one of seven units being sold OTP in Ballarat with 6 x two bed ($260K) and one three bed unit ($270-275K) for sale OTP. It's about 1km from CBD with a shop and PO a minute's walk away (if you can't nip out for a paper or milk without getting the car out my enthusiasm falls markedly).

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Townhouse/VIC/Ballarat/?adid=2009406646 and http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Townhouse/VIC/Ballarat/?adid=2009401505

The obvious thought is that any buyer would be stupid not to take the 3-bedder for an extra $10K, especially since it's on a larger block (though garden faces SE). It looks though that they're getting all this on the plot by putting the garage wall up to the boundary, most probably then putting the gutter on top of the brick veneeer, which I think looks awful.

I've no idea whether the design is negotiable, but I was thinking on the lines of deleting bed 3 and making the garage a single, moving it back with a parking space in front (i.e. as the 2-bed units). This then releases around 2m width - take say 500mm to have eaves overhangs all round (flush eaves look so cheap IMO), 1m extra width on the living area and 500mm more on the bedrooms. Presumably the price wouldn't change (+soffits, less slab, less wall) so one would be paying $10K for a much superior 2-bedder.

Any opinions? Obvious thought it that the developer wouldn't countenance one property looking different to the others. Would I be wasting my time asking?

BTW I have now looked at 30+ properties in Ballarat - a few have ticked all my boxes but have been snapped up while I'm still thinking. Most of the rest are still on the market a couple of months later so it's not just me! $250K is as high as I want to go, but minimal SD, a year's interest on my funds and high depreciation makes this one look very possible.

TYIA

Not Ballarat, I have 2 b/r's and 3 b/r's in Bendigo, but have no difficulty whatsoever renting. Constructed 8 years ago, never been vacant, near cbd, schools, park etc..

Back