Two or three level townhouses?

We are at the stage of having concept drawings done for our proposed four townhouse development.

If we were building these to sell, we would probably push for three levels, garaging on lower level, living on middle level, and bedrooms on top level.

However, we are building these to hold and rent long term and my homework with two local agents tells me that tri-level townhouses are harder to rent because people don't want to be going up and down stairs all day. There is a local development with two and three level townhouses and the only one that is not yet rented is a tri-level, and the reason is because of all the stairs. The asking rent has dropped from $650 to $620 per week and I noticed last night they are now asking $600 per week.

I don't want to miss the opportunity of pushing for three levels for greater GFA but cannot help but think that for long term hold and rental, we heed the advice of the sales and letting agents I've spoken to and go for an open plan, spacious design but keep it to two levels.

This is in Coorparoo, battle-axe position and even at two levels, two of the townhouses may have city views and we would have living on the top levels to get up high. The views are not secure though, and could be lost if the downhill neighbour builds up. We will build towards suburban and city views so if city view is lost, we still have an outlook over the suburb that is safe from being lost.

We could build a mix, and go for a tri-level on the top two, the top level would be bedrooms because putting living on that top level would put many off renting or buying (according to agents, designer and builder).

I'm trying to reconcile the idea of not pushing for schmick "sell for a profit" so make it "wow" factor... with what we need, and that is well designed, easy to rent, still some "wow" and good level of finish to get good rent.

Any thoughts?

It seems the general thought is 3 levels is a hit and miss. I haven't seen many tri-level townhouses in Coorparoo. Maybe with the on-coming urbanisation of Coorparoo, they may become more popular.

What about going for a basement carpark? What is your profit margin looking like if you only go 2 levels compare to 3 levels?

I prefer 2 level homes, appeals to a wider range of people, so it is easier to sell or rent. You don't want to build something that no one wants.

It may just be a Qld thing not wanting tri by the other post comments but
Sydney the more levels the higher price and rent does not seem an issue.

Have one at Hornsby which is tri level but garage is below with internal steps
and about to add steps to the attic so will have another room on top which will
be four levels.

I'm trying to reconcile the idea of not pushing for schmick "sell for a profit" so make it "wow" factor... with what we need, and that is well designed, easy to rent, still some "wow" and good level of finish to get good rent.

Any thoughts?

Always go KISS
If the land component is big enough then just go 2 storeys as you will appeal to the largest market AND keep your costs down. There is no point going 3 and having to spend a lot of money for little or no return.

I'm doing a 2 plus loft terrace in Highgate and the only reason we did 3 levels is that the land component is 140sqm and to fit all the rooms in we needed to do 3. Even so it is garaging + living on bottom, then 2 bedrooms on second and in the 3rd level another bedroom.

Wylie

I would suggest having a look at 36-38 Denman St Greenslopes. 3 stories with garage, 1 bed ensuite and kitchenette on ground floor. Multiple dwelling so you can rent downstairs separately.

I personally don't like the idea of 3 levels. Don't think families with little children or older people would be keen. Although if 1 whole level was just garage - once inside it would like a 2 storey for living purposes.

Hi

I don't like 3 levels. However if a very good view could be obtained by building a 3rd level than this is a hard one to make a decision on.

Regards,

alicudi

Our PPOR is a tri level townhouse and it is awesome - I love it.

It is a little different to the way you explained your plans.

We essentially have a two storey house, with an extra middle level extending out the back. The stairs have a landing half way up and the doorway to the middle level comes off this.

Downstairs we have the double garage and loungeroom, above this upstairs we have 3 bedrooms and bathroom etc. The middle level has the kitchen, family room and main bedroom/ensuite etc. Both the middle and lower levels open out to the backyard due to a sloping block.

The reason I like it so much is because we rarely go up the full flight of stairs - we spend most of our time in the kitchen/family room in the middle so the other floors are only half a flight of stairs away.

Prior to living here I lived in a two storey house and the stairs got annoying after a while.

I've found 3 levels, no matter the views, very hard to lease out.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in a 3 level house either, unless we''re talking a huge mansion type place or more of a funky split level that's open and not just a huge flight of stairs.

Then again, I'm down in Mexico....

I live in a 3 level house, although it's 3 split levels.

Top level - Master bedroom with ensuite, 2nd bedroom, laundry, bathroom

Middle level - Living room with 2 bedrooms

Bottom level - Two living areas and kitchen leading out to veranda.

Don't mind it, entry is through middle level though. So stairs for me aren't an issue.

How did you go with furniture,fridges etc up the staircases,usually they are skinny with tight returns.

Easy (says she who didnt lift it). The middle level is open plan with french type doors out to the backyard - we have a road at the back of us, so for the big whitegoods we came in through the backyard straight into the kitchen didnt even need to go up or down stairs. We have a european style laundry next to the kitchen so brought the washing machine in that way too.

The top of our stairs also has a study area with a half wall, so some of the furniture for upstairs was lifted above the half wall in order to turn the corner.

Loungeroom we just came in the front door - no stairs. Only time we've had an issue is when we moved our lounge suite from the loungeroom to the family room - we had to take it outside and go around the back rather than up the internal stairs.

Back