Two storey building and Heating/Cooling.

Hi all :

I am looking at few properties now, to buy my PPOR.

Recently I had a look at one of them which is a two storey. The ground floor is a 40 yr old BV while the first floor is a 20 yr old Weatherboard.

I was told that the ground floor has got ducted heating throughout while the first floor has got DH only in the living room. There is no cooling at all.

Wondering what's the option to include cooling both on ground floor and the first floor? What's the approx. cost involved? I just want to get some idea.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
DU

Last edited:
We have a two level timber home. We built under and dropped a duct into the main living area downstairs with the duct running from the top storey through a kitchen cupboard into the ceiling downstairs.

Like a few ducted systems, our bedrooms never seem to get very cool (especially in summer) as the main rooms get most of the air. So two years ago, we put in two small splits into the two bedrooms we sleep in. We hardly use these, but on a stinker of a summer day, hubby will put our air on for his nap :D.

When we split downstairs to form a fourth bedroom, we installed a small split in that room (no external windows) so the son living there could just put on the small system if needed.

If we had our time again, we would not do a ducted system but do a couple of larger splits for our upstairs. At the time we did the ducted system, the advice was that due to the open plan upstairs ducted would be better, but it is noisy to run and I just think we would do it differently now.

I don't know what a ducted system would cost but your best bet is to get a salesperson in who can do both and get him to tell you what size system/s you would need. That is the best way to work out costs and compare which way to go.

A well positioned split can cool a large area. We couldn't install refrig ducted cooling due to our flat roof (no room for ducts) so went with a 8kw split in the lounge and it works well when we need to cool the house.

If we ever need to (which we never have) a smaller 2.5kw split would be fine for the farthest bedrooms.

Back