typical yanks

I see this as a case of poor misguided Americans thinking the big wide world revolves around them, their stereotypes, beliefs, prejudices, etc. :rolleyes:.

The WI are not American blacks nor do they share the same history or culture.

And the ad was aimed at us.

southern fried chicken (KFC) + black persons (not of US slave descendants) = racist. Hmm....

Shall we ban black garbage bags next?

but we live in a globalised world and its pretty bad in many markets (US, UK, Carribean, etc.) to make such an ad.

okay - i get what you say and agree that the ad would be offensive in america etc ... but ... the ad was made for the australian market, where it is not offensive.

i find the american ads horribly offensive when they spend the entire time slagging off some opponents product (amongst others) but do i hue and cry in their media?

What if the ad was a west-indian supporter in the middle of a crowd of bogan aussies chanting "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI!".... and he opens up a case of VB to shut them all up.

Would that be racist?

... i rekon that ad would be pretty funny actually.

.... damn seppo crackers.

What if the ad was a west-indian supporter in the middle of a crowd of bogan aussies chanting "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI!".... and he opens up a case of VB to shut them all up.

A slab or two of VB would probably be very effective too. For a few minutes.

There's this too.

Coles branded racist for naming biscuits 'Creole Creams'.

"The word Creole comes from a period when people's humanity was measured by the amount of white blood they had in their bloodstream. This is the same kind of thought that underpinned horrific regimes like the Nazis," Mr Watson said.

"People need to exercise their intellect. This so-called blending was actually the institutionalised rape of black women. They were victims of brutal regimes of rape and victimisation."

Mr Watson described the biscuit name as deeply insensitive and indicative of a "deep undercurrent of racism in white Australian society".

:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...mmed-as-racist-20091026-hgig.html?comments=80

well, we could kill 2 birds with one stone here.

just ban KFC.

1) numbers of obese people will halve.
2) no one will get offended at silly adverts

okay - i get what you say and agree that the ad would be offensive in america etc ... but ... the ad was made for the australian market, where it is not offensive.

i find the american ads horribly offensive when they spend the entire time slagging off some opponents product (amongst others) but do i hue and cry in their media?

how does one company putting down another company compare to people being offended by what they believe are racist overtones ?

I personally I think racism, which by definition is intended to insult/hurt etc a whole race, means a bit more than you individually not liking it when you hear someone say "Im better than my competitor" or "my competitor is crap".

Last edited:
when will the old "septic tanks" learn that customs, beliefs, religions and styles of humour does not stop at their borders!?:rolleyes:.

Calling Americans "septic tanks" is considered a racist term (by Americans :rolleyes:) and i've seen members on other boards banned/suspended for using this term. But luckily this board is 99% full of Australians so i doubt you'll get anyone reporting your post.

America! half-brother of the world!
With something good and bad of every land

(~Philip James Bailey)

America is so vast that almost everything said about it is likely to be true, and the opposite is probably equally true.

(~James T. Farrell)

how does one company putting down another company compare to people being offended by what they believe are racist overtones ?

because i find it offensive ... just like someone thinking offering kfc to an african decendant is offensive. nothing more and nothing less.

Since when are West Indians considered to be black Americans? Does this mean America is claiming ownership of the West Indies and other Caribbean territories? I'd be surprised if most Americans could even point to the West Indies on a map.

Is the ad even shown in America anyway?

Since when are West Indians considered to be black Americans? Does this mean America is claiming ownership of the West Indies and other Caribbean territories?

My recollection of history may be a little blurred on this (and i am too lazy to google it at the moment), but i think a LOT of ex slaves escaped to the West Indies (and surrounding area) during the time of the Civil War. This included the african american slaves who were actually born in america and not in africa.

But the thought is, the reason being that there are now many african american people in the West Indies/Caribbean area is that they are related to those slaves who fled America.

Someone can check no this but i think this is the case.

As a side note - America wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for it's history of severe rascism and division. how many other countries can say they specially imported a different type of people just to do manual work in order to build up and develop the newly born country?

You'd think now that the American people would have learnt, but it is still today, one of the most divisive countries in the world.

Thanks

g

It always amazes me how we are more than willing to lay the boots into the US but are less critical of our own, if not exact, then similar policies. :rolleyes:

wrote a big post but then decided it's going to be too radical for this forum :rolleyes:

this whole race thing is blown out of proportion, it seems that these days you must like everyone who is not white english speaking person. if you don't for whatever reason you are immediately labeled racist.

My recollection of history may be a little blurred on this (and i am too lazy to google it at the moment), but i think a LOT of ex slaves escaped to the West Indies (and surrounding area) during the time of the Civil War. This included the african american slaves who were actually born in america and not in africa.

But the thought is, the reason being that there are now many african american people in the West Indies/Caribbean area is that they are related to those slaves who fled America.

Someone can check no this but i think this is the case.

As a side note - America wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for it's history of severe rascism and division. how many other countries can say they specially imported a different type of people just to do manual work in order to build up and develop the newly born country?

You'd think now that the American people would have learnt, but it is still today, one of the most divisive countries in the world.

Thanks

g

Well that may be true, but they are not African Americans now. That would be the same as saying the large WI population in England are actually African Americans which is plainly wrong. Being related to people who were born in Africa and who happened to escape from another country 200 years ago does not make them part of that country so in my opinion the US has absolutely no claim to any racism towards african americans in this ad.

Back