Ugly floor tiles and changing the roof colour

Hi everyone,

Issue 1. Ugly Floor Tiles
Does anyone have any idea how to economically address the situation of those small and ugly 70s tiles. I have them in the kitchen and bathroom. They are in good condition but, as indicated, they are ugly and date the property. Is there a paint product that can be used to go over them? Or can they be spray painted as with baths etc?

Issue 2. Newish Green Roof
I have a different property that was reroofed about 8 years ago before I owned it. I has a colourbond roof that is Green. The exterior of the house needs to be repainted at some stage soon and I would like to use a modern coffee coloured paint with off-white trim and red front door. This lovely colour combination does not suit a green roof. Can a roof be spray painted in the regular silver colour? The alternative is to find a paint colour that will work with the green roof (after all it is a rental...and I don't want to be too particular...if I can help it...). My thinking is that if I can modernise the exterior of the property (a pair of Victorian 3 bedroom houses) I think it will substantially improve the value.

MH

Painted silver rooves look ... wrong. Leave it green and work with it.

Bloke across the road from my IP just painted his verandah silver, we're going to repaint ours colourbond green! The colourbond roof paints don't look anywhere near as bad as the silver roof paint (which, incidentally, is Very Expensive). I'm not that keen on the green myself but this house isn't for us so we're just going to work with the green. Boring boring boring, but its better than peeling paint.

I'm with RE - leave the roof as is and get some help from a colour consultant to come up with a scheme that works well with the roof.
Tiles - there's no easy solution. The bathroom one's will be SO hard to get up, in my experience. I've done a couple of bathroom makeovers, leaving the 70's floor tiles alone. Got a great result and nobody seems to notice the floor tiles. If it's PPOR, then you might have to tile over them or bit the bullet and rip them up.
For IP's I usually do lino in the kitchen - the type that looks like stone or some other textured finish. It's very cheap, especially if you buy something already in stock or end of roll. I've laid it over various surfaces and it works a treat. Once again, if it's PPOR, then you might want a better result than that.

Hi everyone,

The alternative is to find a paint colour that will work with the green roof (after all it is a rental...and I don't want to be too particular...if I can help it...). My thinking is that if I can modernise the exterior of the property (a pair of Victorian 3 bedroom houses) I think it will substantially improve the value.

MH

You answered tour own question. Repainting a perfectly good 8 yo roof is probably not a good investment.

Cheers

Chrisv

Our entire PPOR floor was covered in really bad orange/brown tiles from the 70s. Our tiler laid new tiles straight over the top of the old ones this year and the results were great.

Our daughter recently had her house rendered and painted. They had a green tile roof.

The colour they chose was called "driftwood", not sure of the brand. It is a neutral, a light/mid greyish tone with a green tinge to it.

Looks spectacular.
Marg

Issue 2. Newish Green Roof
I have a different property that was reroofed about 8 years ago before I owned it.... My thinking is that if I can modernise the exterior of the property (a pair of Victorian 3 bedroom houses) I think it will substantially improve the value.

MH

Unlikely - period homes don't value up on "modern looks" (in fact they will be adversely affected). They need to be "authentic look" for maximum value.

Cheers,

The Y-man

few options on the floor tiles:
- go over it with new floor tiles
- cover it with vinyls specifically desgined to go over tiles (carpet court had such a product in wide rolls, harvey norman has thick vinyl planks that look like floor boards ... and ok to use in wet areas as well)
- if you can't find a thick vinyl, then fill in the grout line with cornice cement (you will need to work quick) or plasterboard jointing cement to flush level them with floor and then lay vinyl on top when dry. This also gives the vinyl a bit of grip.

good luck

Cornice adhesive is a zillion times harder and stickier than plasterboard flushing compound so if you go with the poster above, go cornice adhesive!

(we're doing a lot of cornices and flushing at the moment)

Thanks to all for advice

Many thanks for that everyone.

Yes, will leave green roof alone and I like Marg's suggestion of "Driftwood" which I will now go in search of. I am also liking the suggestion of going over the tiles with a textured vinyl as tiles might raise too high and look a bit wrong (the tiles ajoin carpet in places, which is 2 years old).

Congrats too to Rob on the award in the lastest API magazine!!

MH

Back