UK mob violence and looting.

The good ole "you owe me an education and living" mentality.

Regards JO

Mmmm... some would say that rich people are just as stupid as this as well, they just act this out via different means.. of course, tohters will argue that the poor are stupdier... perhaps they are right, how would know....

I think you'll find it's more a continuation of the "class" war that has been brewing in the UK for a long time.

Think about what has happened recently - huge recession, painful austerity measures, banks (and bankers) being bailed out by the government, the lower and middle income classes continue to suffer as a result of a financial mess they were not responsible for.

The English class divide has always been more pronounced than here and these people would have grown up with it - what's changed now?

The burning and looting of their own neighbours properties, who are closer to their own class than those of the upper classes makes you question if this is the case.

I think it's less the recession, austerity measures, the countries financial mess (because those things affect them less) and more a simplistic snub of authority and society 'because they can'.

I think for too long, too lenient laws and courts and police (because they lack powers) have allowed certain behaviours to develop and flourish, and this is an end result.

The English class divide has always been more pronounced than here and these people would have grown up with it - what's changed now?

I think it's just an unfortunate confluence of events.

From memory, the initial conflict started after a youth somewhere was killed by a policeman?

It's about pressure ... you keep turning up the pressure, and the smallest thing can trigger an avalanche (to mix my metaphors somewhat).

These people may not directly be as affected by the fallout from the GFC as other, but all the negativity and pessimism just adds to the pressure. At some point, it's got to give - all it needs is an excuse.

Still, I believe a large part of the subsequent problems are just rank opportunism - people have become emboldened by observing the relative powerlessness of the authorities and are taking advantage of this. Some for a bit of "mindless" fun (think school-kids out throwing bottles and rocks), others for criminal gain.

Oh ... and it's summer time too - you wouldn't find people out on the streets in the middle of a UK winter would you?

Rich or poor, if you've been raised to respect others & their property, what would excuse this behaviour?

I think a "welfare mentality" has a lot to do with it - respect is something in short supply in a lot of places.

But either way - don't try and analyse the behaviour of a mob - it is largely a mindless and unreasoning beast which takes very little encouragement to do stupid things - especially when one removes the individual responsibility from an action!

Yea the police shot dead a guy called Mark Duggan who the police called a drug dealing wanna be gangster, the family says the police shot him unnecessarily(apparently the guy was armed) and the police say they felt in danger and therefore shot him.

Last edited:
I think it's just an unfortunate confluence of events.

Agree.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the power of SMS, Twitter and other social media via mobiles. Without it all this probably would not have happened (the avalanche).

On Amazon UK yesterday, the top selling items were blunt objects, including Baseball bats - sales up 8,000%, military style folding shovel (bludgeon) - up 139,000%, Teleskop bludgeons up 18,000%. The police have been granted use of rubber bullets and water cannons now.

Theirs a e-petition in the Uk that " Any persons convicted of criminal acts during the current London riots should have all financial benefits removed. No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them." Apparently if it reaches 100,000 signatures (at 89,716) MP's will have to debate it

They should look at upgrading the offence of inciting crime via text messaging and social media - if a law already exists.

I'm assuming it would be easy to trace all of the these messages.

I've been emailing a friend who lives in the middle of it all. This summation from Sim is pretty much exactly what she told me - right down to the comment about summer:

It's about pressure ... you keep turning up the pressure, and the smallest thing can trigger an avalanche (to mix my metaphors somewhat).

These people may not directly be as affected by the fallout from the GFC as other, but all the negativity and pessimism just adds to the pressure. At some point, it's got to give - all it needs is an excuse.

Still, I believe a large part of the subsequent problems are just rank opportunism - people have become emboldened by observing the relative powerlessness of the authorities and are taking advantage of this. Some for a bit of "mindless" fun (think school-kids out throwing bottles and rocks), others for criminal gain.

Oh ... and it's summer time too - you wouldn't find people out on the streets in the middle of a UK winter would you?

Lots of these kids have never had many prospects. Now with the screws being tightened in Britain, they have even less. So they figure they've got nothing to lose. It's not an ideological thing. They just don't give a toss and figure they might as well get their cut.

Last edited:
The root cause is that the future for youths in britain is dim. Spending years and years getting an education and degrees for no job. Without jobs how are they going to pay off the education debt

And many weren't. Also, many were white. Talk about preconceptions.

The media like to point out the exceptions, but even in the article it states "many were young men from poor areas".

As an aside, a lot of the undercurrent of discontent has been caused by the austerity measures, from the GFC, debt and bailing out banks etc. The UK isnt the only place this has happened. But its the only place that has turned to riots this bad.

if America took their medicine as they should, you'd see much worse.

if you can't make it in the uk you couldn't make it anywhere. these rioters are just losers. no need to make excuses for them.

No, they use Blackberry. Untraceable.

They should look at upgrading the offence of inciting crime via text messaging and social media - if a law already exists.

I'm assuming it would be easy to trace all of the these messages.

And many weren't. Also, many were white. Talk about preconceptions.

I didn't see any but will make a point of trying to when I next watch a clip. actually i think the guys that nabbed the stuff out of that injured persons backpack were white?

Violence, looting, rioting etc knows know class or race. But it just so happens that most of the underclass in the UK are migrants as they are in many parts of the world.

I didn't see any but will make a point of trying to when I next watch a clip. actually i think the guys that nabbed the stuff out of that injured persons backpack were white?

Yes on Weg, Sim and Evand's posts.

We can tend to generalise, stereotype people also, and while not diminishing what is and has happened in the UK at moment, (it is likely to run into tens of millions-early estimates) we can also tend to...'compartment away' in our minds the huge cost and damage of 'white collar crime':

Recent analysis has estimated that white-collar crime costs the UK up to £60 billion annually and yet detection rates run at around 5% with convictions low and sentences often reduced. City accountants claim that fraud, which costs the country at least £20 billion each year, is now at its highest ever level and may treble during the recession.

There has been a tradition of leniency towards white-collar crime, with issues of class, perception, and status all playing a role in how corporate, professional and “middle-class” crimes are investigated, judged and punished.

But, in the wake of the financial crisis and the scandal of MPs expenses, as the recession continues and assumptions of middle-class honesty falter, will we see a shift in public, corporate, police and judicial attitudes to white-collar crime?

As times grow ever more harsh and the public purse is squeezed, can crimes which deplete pension funds and rob the public of tax revenues really be seen as “victimless”?

White Collar circa 2003

People at computers White Collar Crime, circa 2005

Theft in the workplace has evolved beyond light-fingered staff pinching the odd pen or box of A4 paper into something far more catastrophic for companies.
The spotlight in the last few years has been on fraud committed by senior management, notably through a string of accounting scandals which have helped topple the reputation of major multi-nationals.

But the problem is much more widespread, a new report says, involving office workers at all levels.

The three words that sum it up are lies, pride and greed.

Driven by greed, boredom or a grudge against their employer, fraudsters at work are costing UK companies billions of pounds a year by taking advantage of lax financial and regulatory controls.

That is from late 2009, white collar crime (which includes fraud) is a serious challenge in many western countries, not just UK, also Australia, USA etc..

Hidden Cost of White Collar Crime

The (possible) perception's people may hold re/ socio economic crime can blindside us to middle class? (if you want to 'label' ) criminalities...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

excusing it on the basis that there is white collar crime is ridiculous. Further to that, the punishments for white collar crime in this country are worse than hard core criminal activity. It seems money is more important in the justice system than people.

Back