Undercover Boss

Anyone watch this show?

I caught the one about the 7-11 CEO and lessons learned as he moved from store to store, working a variety of positions and shifts. I believe this was the second show though and there was an earlier one featuring the chief executive from Waste Management

I saw the Waste Management and 7-11 episodes. For some reason they are not showing the Hooters episode here in Australia (or are showing them out of order).

I really like it. Reminds me of Bob Ansett in some ways - always made his executives work behind the counter of a rental car branch once a month to keep them in touch with the coal face.

Cheers
Buddybee

I love reality TV! Can't get enough of it. Everything from Wife Swap to that one where they send naughty kids o/s to mend their ways, to Survivor.

This one lacked a bit o the ol' pull on the heartstrings for some reason, still can't pin down why. Maybe I'd like to see more of the boss living on one of the worker's wages for a week, doing their own laundry, cleaning their own house, budgeting on minimum wage etc.

I have been watching it. I wish they would show us more about what the executives are actually doing to change the company as a whole though, rather then just the individual lives of those employee who happen to interact with them.

Great publicity for the companys involved.

yea l like this show too and l also wish they would re visit the company to show what changes the management implemented after the boss went underover.
AND HOW l wish my boss had the goolies to have a dam good look into my workplace and stop hiding behind his ego:(:(:(

my righthand man at work (who is a woman) hit me up for a payrise on monday after watching the waste management episode! When I saw the promo's i was hoping she would not see it because it summed up her situation exactly, doing three people's job but on an hourly rate. Now wants a salary like that woman was given!!:)

Like all reality shows there are bits missing and it is slanted to get the final result which is entertainment.

An employee will whine about something that gets to the final cut and the boss will give the employee a glowing report during the wrap up... 'I learnt so much from Bill, he's such an honest person we need more straight shooters like him.'

I'm sure he would be just as much a straight shooter if he knew he was talking to the boss. :rolleyes:

Perhaps there was more that Bill said which resulted in him getting such a glowing report or maybe not, either way it wasn't entertaining enough for TV.

Still it's watchable which is more than I can say for Big Brother.

Regards

Andrew

my righthand man at work (who is a woman) hit me up for a payrise on monday after watching the waste management episode! When I saw the promo's i was hoping she would not see it because it summed up her situation exactly, doing three people's job but on an hourly rate. Now wants a salary like that woman was given!!:)

My view on pay rises (over and above the standard CPI increase) is this;

If you want a pay rise you need to earn it somehow. Add value to your employer's company through some form of extra service - not necessarily harder work, or longer hours because people get paid more for longer hours anyway in most cases.

I'm talking about extra skills, or increasing sales through implementing an idea..

Now, in the case of your good lady doing 3 jobs on an hourly rate; if she is really worth keeping (sounds like it) then I'd be looking after her.

The biggest asset (or liability) of a company is it's staff. An extra couple of grand per year for a really good employee might return your company extra tens of thousands.

But, it works both ways, so it may be a good idea to implement a performance based incentive to keep 'em honest. Not much fun giving rises and getting no extra benefit for it.

One guy I know is an absentee owner of an industrial sales/hire business. His manager is terrific and works long hours, but he is on a 1.5% commission on sales over and above his salary. Everyone wins.

Watched the Hooters episode on line. One of the store managers is a pig of a man and the things he did were just not on. I would say this is why the episode was cut in Australia.

Wish my CEO would get out in the field and get an idea of how things work. So many policies get put in place by top management that just do not work or even make sense out in the field. They may sound like a great idea in theory, but doesn't work in practice. Only problem is that there is no way to go 'undercover' in my job, but if he came and worked beside me for a couple of meetings, I could show him everything that doesn't make sense or is just impractical - what he does with that information is another matter.

Back