Undersized aircon wire btw inside to outside unit

Hi everyone,
I need advice on my air-conditioning.

The air-conditioning stopped working recently due to an unknown reason.
Called an air-conditioning technician ... Pty ltd
The tech came to the property, reset the air-conditioning then left. ($80 call out fee plus $60 per hour)

The air-conditioning works for 2 days then stop.
Called the air-conditioning tech, he stated that it is due to the wrong wire used to connect the inside unit to the outside unit. He stated that the cable is under sized, and because lately a lot of people using electricity during summer, therefore less power distributed to the house, and then therefore less power distributed to the air-conditioning unit and therefore less power distributed to the outside unit resulting in voltage drop.

Below is the exact report by the air-conditioning tech via email:
Thank you for using ... Pty Ltd for maintenance of your air conditioning system
Our serviceman attended as arranged and found an LG branded unit that was not working. Upon deeper investigation he found the unit was incorrectly wired with under sized wire which appeared to have caused the issue. With the wiring being too small the unit is trying to operate with reduce power (voltage drop) and so failed and tripped out a safety preventing the unit from operating. The system was reset and began to operate. It was tested and worked ok for now, but it will need the original installer to return and correct the fault to prevent it from happening again.
If you cannot get the installer back to correct this then we may be able to do this for you at an additional cost of $400 including GST.

I called the air-conditioning tech again, because this sounds a bit "New" to me. He is 100% sure that the cause is under sized wire between the inside unit to the outside unit. Due to the undersized therefore not enough power transferred to the outside unit. It was working fine before the summer because people not using much electricity. But now, when people in the area using a lot of electricity, the house get lower power, and then the power distribution lessen again to the outside unit due to undersized wire. The wiring for this unit was not wired in cables suitable for power but cables suitable for lighting. Too thin.

Ps: the air-conditioning is directly wired to the circuit breaker.
This is the air-conditioning in my IP.

Q: Has anyone heard/experience the issue before?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
When we had air conditioners installed it was on the installation instructions that the units had to be installed on a separate circuit otherwise the guarantee was voided.

Sounds as if the circuit can't cope with the heavy load an airconditioner places on it when other usage occurs.
Marg

@Marg: Hi Marg. Thank you for your reply. The air-conditioning is directly wired to the circuit breaker. The aircond is not sharing power with other appliances. The power distribution from the circuit breaker to the aircond is ok.

The aircond tech stated that he is 100% sure that the cause is under sized wire between the inside unit to the outside unit (the fan unit). Due to the undersized therefore not enough power transferred from the inside unit to the outside unit. The aircond was working fine before the summer because other people in the area not using much electricity. But now, when other people in the area using a lot of electricity, the house get lower power, and then the power distribution from the inside unit to the outside unit got lessen again due to undersized wire.

I bought the property in January 2013. The Aircond, I assume is less than 3 years old. It seems new, or at least in my eyes  . I had called LG Call centre, unfortunately she said no receipt no warranty.

Now I am not sure whether I should go ahead, because I never heard this issue before. However, the tech stated that he is 100% sure that the undersized wire is the issue. sigh...

This sounds completely false. He is an AC mechanic not an electrician or he would of fixed the wire.

If it is as he said it is with an undersized wire between the inside and outside unit, All that means is that cable will not be protected by the circuit break and can burn out if to much current is drawn thru it, as it is rated less then the circuit breaker.

If the cable is to small and has burnt out then this will cause your Safety switch to trip

Id be getting another person out to check the unit.

Cheers
Dave

I bought the property in January 2013. The Aircond, I assume is less than 3 years old. It seems new, or at least in my eyes  . I had called LG Call centre, unfortunately she said no receipt no warranty.

Thats a load of bull. The warranty is linked to the unit serial number and not the paper receipt. They can look up the serial number to verify it was an australian delivered unit and when it was purchased to honour warranty.

Take it to the states fair trading if they wont honour warranty.

@ TAB_DR/Dave: Would it be better to call another Aircon Tech (call out fee $80 plus $60 per hour) = $140 or should I go ahead $400.

@DaveM: I will call the LG again tomorrow/Monday and talk to them about this. Hopefully something positive will happen. At the moment I am not sure who install the aircond unit (the retailer or the LG technician) and whether or not the installation is part of the warranty.

Thanks for the reply guys

I'd get someone else to come out.

He attended your house to fix the problem, he found the problem but didn't fix it. Not sure why he didn't replace the cabling while he was there it wouldn't of taken him more then an hour to do.

Did he say he couldn't do it or wasn't licence to do fix it.

I'd get a second opinion and then get them to fix while there if possible.

@ TAB_DR : thank you for your information and idea. I think your idea calling a second opinion and then ask him to fix it on the spot is a great idea.

@DaveM : Apparently LG could call someone to check it out, but however if there is nothing wrong with the unit then I would have to pay $140 call out fee plus $30 for every 15 minutes. very pricey. LG licensed aircond tech.
If the fault is due to installation, It would not be covered by warranty therefore I would have to pay the call out fee.
http://www.lg.com/au/support/warranty/ac-air-conditioners

Back