Uni education a requirement for successful investing?

Prolly on a similar path to you Alex...once I knock off my MBA I'm giving serious consideration to doing an RG146 for as the vulgar would say 'shirts and giggles'
Ah...life and convergence where what you do for fun in your work life converges for what you do for fun in your personal life!
Loving the life I'm designing for myslef!

Chart your own course - BOOH YAH!

I'm one of these lame people that you speak of.

Just wanted to know your thinking behind why you think i'm lame for living with my mother for?

I personally think it's a smart idea, keeps costs down and i have a close relationship with my family so that makes it even better

If it works for you then that's great. I was mainly talking about my mate's ex girlfriend, because they had no privacy, no lifestyle, she was obsessed with IPs while her actual life sucked and it impeded on their relationship. She was almost 30 but had the life skills of an 18yo from living at home the whole time, but oh "I've got 4 IPs".

For me, I value my independence way too much and I have a fantastic relationship with my parents too. I genuinely think you learn a lot more when you are out there on your own and you also become forced to come up with more efficient ways of earning a better income.

I know if I had've just been financially comfortable staying at home for longer with my parents, I would have been less driven to seek big income increases at work, because hey on even 50k, 60k, 70k income I would have been able to happily survive at home no problems, I probably wouldn't have chased the bigger, higher paying jobs and pushed myself as hard. But that's not me to begin with, so again it comes down to your DNA I reckon and whatever works for the individual.

If it works for you then that's great. I was mainly talking about my mate's ex girlfriend, because they had no privacy, no lifestyle, she was obsessed with IPs while her actual life sucked and it impeded on their relationship. She was almost 30 but had the life skills of an 18yo from living at home the whole time, but oh "I've got 4 IPs".

You seriously have to wonder about some people who do this and their parents...OK if you living with say a single mum/dad and they need help or both parents need help but come on.

You seriously have to wonder about some people who do this and their parents...OK if you living with say a single mum/dad and they need help or both parents need help but come on.

I probably would still live with the folks if I had not got married and I am 33! I got dragged kicking and squealing out of home when I was 21 by my girlfriend at the time.

Some places moving out is an easier option, in Sydney when I was studying, could not get Austudy, so worked to earn play money where moving out was really not an option. My folks are pretty liberal sorts and had a big house so I was not falling over.

I can say this though, my relationship with my folks is much better since moving out. When you are lving with them, you kind of take them for granted. I probably spend more quality time with them now living on the other side of the county to them than I did when I lived with them 8 years ago [oops edit 12 years years ago, been married for 9 years.]

Anyway back on topic on the uni / non uni thing I would be a completely different person without my education and am glad I did it and further education recently, but I am quite certain that financially it makes little difference. The tradies I employ for example get better coin than I do, but I guess arguably they work harder for it though too.

Edited 8 years ago to 12years ago. Time flies!

Last edited:

Because.. we are not perfect.. (?) the person tried to do somehting, but it didn;t work perfectly.... (?)

I am sure just as logically, the lady in question could point to decions I've made in my life (which certainly did not involve staying home till 30 an accumualting 4 IP's )and say the same thing as you said:"You seriously have to wonder about some people"

How about you Shane, could that also apply to you ? I don't think it's that much of an amazing (nor stupid ;) ) phenomenon !

I wouldn't allow my children to live at home after the finished school.
That was made clear to them, early on.
I think it usually stunts the emotional growth of the "child".

i respect your viewpoint but:

Excuse me but what a cow of a attitude.....my kids are welcome to live with me for as long as they want....never in a million years would i kick any of them out.........

you made this clear to your kids when???? please dont tell me 6 years old! :-(

no idea where you get the idea that it stunts anything..........i have one at uni doing vet science, the youngest gr 10 and going gangbusters...never asks for a cent or anything........very independent and social

i have to be frank and say im happy your not their mother...

im totally shocked by the comments you post...im actually cringing..

thank your lucky stars you were not born in an asian country like almost anywhere...........

family is the most important of a human, love, companionship are high on my list....

kids wont miss out on any growth development if they are independent and fulfilled in life and guided properly rather than flicking them off to relatives or friends while you go and enjoy the social like..

kids first, everything else can come a poor second...

i respect your viewpoint but:

Excuse me but what a cow of a attitude.....my kids are welcome to live with me for as long as they want....never in a million years would i kick any of them out.........

you made this clear to your kids when???? please dont tell me 6 years old! :-(

no idea where you get the idea that it stunts anything..........i have one at uni doing vet science, the youngest gr 10 and going gangbusters...never asks for a cent or anything........very independent and social

i have to be frank and say im happy your not their mother...

im totally shocked by the comments you post...im actually cringing..

thank your lucky stars you were not born in an asian country like almost anywhere...........

family is the most important of a human, love, companionship are high on my list....

kids wont miss out on any growth development if they are independent and fulfilled in life and guided properly rather than flicking them off to relatives or friends while you go and enjoy the social like..

kids first, everything else can come a poor second...

You are certainly entitiled to your opinion.
Our kids were never flicked off to any friends or family so we could enjoy a social life.

We lived 15 kms from a town, and this is where they would need to go to work.We do not have buses or trains. To take a taxi would be $22 each way.Not much left over when you are only making $8 an hour.While they were in school we organised their "to and from" with their after school job.None of the kids wanted to get their driver's license.They didn't have much choice.
My daughter was always independant, and it was exciting for her.
My sons would have stayed home longer, if permitted. I didn't want them to go from their parent's home to their wife's home.(like their father did)I insisted they live on their own, for which they are quite happy.
My daughter was struggling to make ends meet in her house (we were doing a rent to own with her)The boys moved in with her, and helped with expenses.They also thought she had too many friends over, and they disliked the living arrangement.
For the most part, I consider rent to be "dead money".When the brothers no wanted to be roommates with the sister, I suggested they should buy a triplex and share the property.The property I found was a 5 unit property.Instead, we offered all the children (we still had one teenager at home) an opportunity to share in this property.We hold the mortgage in our names, but we all share in the mortgage payment,expenses,and have a kitty for future repairs.So for 2 years, we had an upstairs 1 bedroom unit, with our minor child living across the hall in his bachelor apt.
Our 2 older sons each took a one bedroom unit on the main floor.My daughter wanted the largest apt, so she took the 2 bedroom unit at the rear of the property.
When the minor child finished school..we retired and moved to Australia.We will return every May for 4 months.
All of the children are happy and well adjusted, and even though they are all low income, they will own their own home.
At any time they can move, and just rent out their apt.

I believe Dazz also insisted that his kids leave home at 18. From memory, the parents of Lil's other half also had a rule that their kids leave at 18. Although it was not my choice, Lil left home at 18 and moved interstate.

Much as I miss Lil terribly, she is very happy living interstate. We have a close relationship, as does her boyfriend with his parents. But, in saying this, Lil is Lil, she was more than ready to move, and had goals and dreams that she wanted to fulfill.

From early on, my goal as a parent was to equip both my children that they could look after themselves by age 18. It was not mandatory to leave at this age, however. I believe that the job of the parent is to ensure that their children can cope emotionally, physically, financially, mentally etc by the time they are a legal adult.

I have not posted much about my second daughter, the oldest one. Early last year, we asked her to leave home too. She was 20. We did this because even though she was an adult, emotionally (with us, anyway) she had not moved on from a fourteen year old and was constantly picking arguments with us and generally taking us for granted. Although it was a tough decision that hurt both us and her, the decision was made with the hope that a dose of "real life" was like might eventually do her some good.

To say she was not happy with this was an understatement and it took some time for the relationship to heal, but, heal it did. A couple of months ago she asked if she could move back home and we agreed, but we also let her know the terms on which she was allowed to come back home and have a print out of those same terms attached to the fridge for all to see.

Well, I can tell you emphatically that the six months living out of home did her the world of good. While she is still the same young girl, her outlook on life has changed for the good. Having to live with flatmates, she found that her parents were not all that bad. Now, she is more considerate of others, she pays her board on time, she helps more often around the house, she will have a conversation with us, she appreciates the things we do for her, her disposition has changed and she is generally happy.

For the moment she is between jobs, but now she has goals that she did not have before. Her income is not wasted on junk, because she learnt that she could not do this, and still afford rent. In short, even though she is back home for the time being, she is acting like the adult that she is.

So.......while I can't speak for everyone else's children, I think keeping them at home, being adult children, is not a good thing. I believe that if the children are wanting to stay at home long term, they might need to be pushed out of the nest, much like a mother bird does to their offspring. Growing up is not all about just reaching age 18, it is about being mature and taking responsibility for yourself and not being so selfish that the world revolves around you.

As a side note, another young girl that we know, that is the same age as our oldest (21), lives at home with Mum, does not work and will not apply for any jobs, but won't apply for Centrelink either because "They expect you to apply for jobs and go there every two weeks, it's just so stupid." So she just spends her days doing what she wants and Mum pays for everything.

Another boy of the same age went to Uni for a while, but dropped out. He had a part-time job while at Uni because he was out of home, and his parents were struggling to pay everything for him, so he did this to supplement what they were giving him. Since moving back home he has no job and does not look for one, and the parents are struggling to pay for him. I don't think he is entitled to Centrelink, even if he applied because now they are dependants until they are 24 :( and since his parents were supporting him at Uni, he can not be considered independant. The thing is, they are now supporting the younger sibling who is studying at Armadale too. This one doesn't have a job either and they are not a wealthy family.

This family has four children, the third is in year 11 (I think) and the fourth I believe is 15. Out of all of the kids, the only one motivated enough to find any kind of work (other than the oldest when he was at Uni) is the youngest one who works part time after school. The youngest will do well for herself as she appears to know what she wants out of life.

Skater,
My oldest son was certainly not happy about moving from home. It was quite difficult to insist, but was very much like comparing it to the mother bird pushing the baby bird from the nest.
He has also grown into a fine young man.For the first year, he was quite happy to let his sister do all the cooking, but she insisted he go grocery shopping with her.
Now, they still occassionally go grocery shopping together. She finds it quite amusing that he will look at all the prices, specials and then decide what..and how many he will buy.He started out buying only TV dinners. After a year of that, he graduated to making bacon, eggs, and hamburgers.
He always packs a lucnh for work, and unless it is pouring down rain, he always walks..instead of a taxi.
He nows has enough money saved , he could put a deposit on a house..if I can encourage him enough.He is very conservative.
His friend last year suggested they rent a 2 bedroom apt and move in together (my son would then rent out his apt). He decided he enjoyed living on his own..has a rescued cat now...and doesn't want to give up his space.
He is very organised and has a cleaning day..very much like his father.
Second son, after seeing brother pushed from the nest, saw it as a given.He didn't resist, but it wasn't more than a month or two before he was able to move into his unit in the 5-plex.
Last son, who was a minor, lived across the hall from us. We provided meals.He is now financially on his own..and quite enjoys the freedom it entails.

When making the decision many years ago that my children were leaving home after school ended, was a wise one.Still difficult, as I love them all to death.I watched children remain at home for years, from other families, and the outcome wasn't generally healthy.

.I watched children remain at home for years, from other families, and the outcome wasn't generally healthy.

Which was kind of the point I was making with both those examples. These kids stay at home and do what they want, while the parents struggle to provide for them all, especially in the second case, where the parents are funding a sibling while at Uni. Whatever they want, be it petrol, clothes, spending money, etc, the parents are footing the bill, while bemoaning that it was about time they did something for themselves.

To make matters worse, again in the case of the second family, both parents work, plus they have a hectic calendar with hobbies & church etc. The house is a total mess because not one person will help out in any way. The mother, who works full time, does all the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing while everyone else does nothing. The kids won't clean up after themselves, put anything away or even dry the dishes.

I'm not saying that all kids that stay at home bludge on the parents. I am sure there are many well adjusted young adults that don't. But I think this whole culture we have of allowing those that are unmotivated to just live at home with no consequences is not preparing them at all for the real world. Harsh though it may be, sometimes they just have to be pushed out into the real world in order to grow and become what they can become.

I didn't want them to go from their parent's home to their wife's home.(like their father did)I insisted they live on their own, for which they are quite happy.

I absolutely agree with this and would recommend everyone do it. So many women (and perhaps some men), mainly older but I also know some younger ones, who have gone from living at home to being married. Then years later the marriage starts to fall apart, but they are terrified of the thought of living on their own and having to do everything themselves and be independant. Plus it's a fantastic experience living on your own! Although perhaps makes you a bit selfish, as I never have to compromise and can't imagine ever having to compromise! :D

As for kids living at home, if I had them, I'd be happy for them to, provided they helped out, and were working towards something, such as in university whilst working and saving. I'm glad my parents didn't have a set rule of "get out at 18" as it allowed me to stay home whilst I studied, worked and saved for a deposit so I could move into my own home when I finished my studies. If it's just because it's the easy cheap option and they want to party all the time, spend their money and have a maid, then definately not!

Men who move straight from Mummy to Wifey without ever living on their own = Tragic.

Yup get those kids out into the real world ASAP - they will be better for it.

As for kids living at home, if I had them, I'd be happy for them to, provided they helped out, and were working towards something, such as in university whilst working and saving. I'm glad my parents didn't have a set rule of "get out at 18" as it allowed me to stay home whilst I studied, worked and saved for a deposit so I could move into my own home when I finished my studies. If it's just because it's the easy cheap option and they want to party all the time, spend their money and have a maid, then definately not!

I know many may see having a set rule of leaving home at 18 as harsh.
I figured it was better to have a set time, that they knew years in advance.

This way it wasn't after we may have had an arguement of them not helping out around the house, not paying their board, not following house rules etc.

As it turned out, they made it impossible to remain at home, because they had refused to get their driver's license. Only the youngest one has even his beginners...and that was in the last week before we left for Australia.

I've just taken in a boarder - never was my intention to, hes from my sports club and one of us had o take him in - its teh right thing to do - Hes 18, just finished is school, had a fight with his parents etc... He goes alright, earns some good cash, hard worker...

I've just taken in a boarder - never was my intention to, hes from my sports club and one of us had o take him in - its teh right thing to do - Hes 18, just finished is school, had a fight with his parents etc... He goes alright, earns some good cash, hard worker...

That's a nice thing to do..

Back