Unit in Same complex Asking $240 pw

What kinds of questions do you think I should ask when viewing it?

I dont want to seem too interested though. Should I take away an application form do you think?

Not sure what to do

I always end the conversation with "I need to check with my wife, I will get back to you."

I learnt this in a negoitiating course i did one day.

When I met with the pm for the first time a couple of weeks ago she said that we can have viewings before settlement. I think with all that is on my to do list i left it a bit late. Its pretty close to settlement anyhow i might as well wait now till dec 1st to view.

The ad has been up 2 days and I think it will take a week or so to get enough interest for a viewing. Perhaps a December 3 viewing

When I met with the pm for the first time a couple of weeks ago she said that we can have viewings before settlement. I think with all that is on my to do list i left it a bit late. Its pretty close to settlement anyhow i might as well wait now till dec 1st to view.

Dont believe everything ppl tell you. Getting it agreed to in writing from the Vendor is what counts IF things ever go pear shape. Not saying they will but its best business practice to cover ones *** (legally). What the PM/RE says and what the Vendor says can be 2 different things.

What kinds of questions do you think I should ask when viewing it?

I dont want to seem too interested though.
I always end the conversation with "I need to check with my wife, I will get back to you."
You could ask the important q's you want.. then finish off with "I'm not sure if my smoke machine for rave parties will fit.." or "I'd prefer a unit with aircon for my two rottweilers to stay cool, while I'm at work" :p

Dont believe everything ppl tell you. Getting it agreed to in writing from the Vendor is what counts IF things ever go pear shape. Not saying they will but its best business practice to cover ones *** (legally). What the PM/RE says and what the Vendor says can be 2 different things.

yep

You could ask the important q's you want.. then finish off with "I'm not sure if my smoke machine for rave parties will fit.." or "I'd prefer a unit with aircon for my two rottweilers to stay cool, while I'm at work" :p

or something like im looking at a couple of other units. I'll have a think about it.

omg what a dump # 10 is. I just went for a viewing!! lol no wonder they didnt show any photos online

Kitchen old brown (70's) - hardly any cupboard space anywhere in the unit

Wallpaper falling down

Needs painting

Horrible old shagpile carpet

Bathroom old & Shower screen has cuts in it

No built in wardrobe in bedroom

I got there about 15 mins early so went inside with the tenant. I tried to get info from him during our convo. Dunno how long he'd been living there, arrggh should've asked. It didnt seem like this unit is suited for long stayers as there is hardly any cupboard space or comforts. His clothes were lined up along the floor. There was one tiny cupboard in the corner of the wall which contained a few items of clothing but didnt hold much. I want my unit to have a long term tenant someone that will be comfortable and want to stick around a while.

He said:

Its a nice quite complex
# 11 unit was sold to owner occupier so now there are 3 owner occupiers in complex which is good.
# 9 was just sold ;) (to me haha)

In August # 10 was renting for $210 per week, then went up to $230. Now its advertised at $240. I said to PM that I thought that something like this would go for $220 or $230 and then she mentioned how Dianella is a very desirable area. She said that yes rentals were going up.

My unit is so much nicer

Lots of cupboard space (in kitchen (including huge double sided pantry too, lounge)
New mirrored built in wardrobe in bedroom
Kitchen renovated
New floor tiles throughout
Bathroom will look better once plastered and painted
Alarm system
Will have an air con
Pink Batts

In August # 10 was renting for $210 per week, then went up to $230. Now its advertised at $240. I said to PM that I thought that something like this would go for $220 or $230 and then she mentioned how Dianella is a very desirable area. She said that yes rentals were going up.
Good for you Kim. It might be the law of attraction.. since you've worked so hard saving, researching, negotiating etc. now you're getting a better than expected rent..
I'd say good luck finding a good tenant, but don't think you need any luck ;)

My loan repayments are $220 per week at current IR

Well it would be great if I could get $240 per week rent, the extra $20 can go towards the pm expenses. :)

3 people walked away with applications at the 1st viewing on thursday

no-one commented on the asking amount :)

will just have to wait and see what happens now :p

3 people walked away with applications at the 1st viewing on thursday

no-one commented on the asking amount :)

will just have to wait and see what happens now :p

I remember my very first IP when looking for tenants first time round. Knocked the first applications back because I wasnt happy with the quality of them. Took 4-5 weeks until first tenants were finally signed up.

Rang pm just now, no-one has applied. Only 1 new person has enquired about the property.

Like I thought to begin with ... I thought $240 per week was too high.

I am going to drop the amount but I'm wandering whether I should drop it to $230 or $220 like I originally planned.

Anyone have some advice?

They are not planning to view again until next week.

I think i can answer my own question.

I need to drop it to $220. There are a lot of competing rentals atm. People have a lot to choose from.

Oh well this is the amount I had orginally gone with. I'll ring pm up now

What usually happens when the amount is decreased?

Does your property become the latest listing? New again and back at the top of the list, Or do you have to get your PM to re-advertise. PM was in a meeting with someone so i couldnt get to talk with her.

Ok so now its going to be advertised at $220, i shouldn't have any probs getting it leased.

I remember my very first IP when looking for tenants first time round. Knocked the first applications back because I wasnt happy with the quality of them. Took 4-5 weeks until first tenants were finally signed up.

A wise decision! I wont be rushing anything either. They have to be good quality. I dont care if it takes 2 months, they have to be the right people otherwise i could have all sorts of problems.

What usually happens when the amount is decreased?

Does your property become the latest listing? New again and back at the top of the list, Or do you have to get your PM to re-advertise. PM was in a meeting with someone so i couldnt get to talk with her.

On Domain it does. Not sure about RE.

haha it was funny this morning. i went to meet with the insulation people and guess who happens to turn up at the same time! Yep thats right the PM for the # 10 unit.

When she walked into #10 I said hello and then as she was coming out the door to leave i asked her if she had a minute to talk. she then realised where she had seen me before. it was at the viewing of #10 a few weeks ago. I asked her how things were going, was there any interest for #10. She said no. I said I've decided to drop mine down to $220 because i have'nt had any applications yet and I think $240 is too high compared to other units in the surrounding areas. Plus there are a lot of units out there.

She agreed and mentioned $230 for #10 and now i'm looking online and see she has advertised it at $210. I let her have a look through mine. I hope this wasnt the wrong thing to do. She could see the pics online anyhow. We both got good info off each other. I should be able to get an extra $10 for mine seeing mine is renovated. Most of the units are going for around the $220 mark. Some at 220 arn't even renovated.

Back