Unit on busy road - double-glaze windows?

Hey guys

To give me an idea how effective double-glazing can be, assume the property is on the first floor of a complex right on the side of Spit Road or Parramatta Rd, with its balcony fully facing the road, would double-glazing eliminate the noise completely (I assume no) ... if it's a matter of noise reduction, does it make a big enough difference?

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the cost of installing double-glazed windows/doors:
1. 3 standard size glass panels for the lounge to open onto the balcony
2. 2 windows next to each other in a bedroom (please feel free to provide your own dimensions as I don't have measurements .... )

Any other recommendations / personal experiences re noise reduction for unit on busy road are most welcome!

Thanks

Hopefully it's Full brick? the noise will travel through the walls as well.
Don;t know too much about noise reduction, but i can tell you i personally will not buy on a busy road unless it's a real bargain.

1. Hard to rent
2. Hard to drive in and out
3. Family with kids don't like it
4. Noise

Regards
Michael

Double glazing is awesome.

I work in a school library that fronts a busy road, downhill slope with semi-trailers screeching their brakes the whole way down. Double glazing installed and now traffic noise is an unnoticeable distant hum. Side wall windows were done as well.
Marg

Main Road properties can be OK as long as the block is deep enough to allow a significant set-back from the road, and allowing cars enough room to do a complete turn around to allow front-exit from the property.

We had double glazing installed about 8 years ago on a 5th floor unit that backs a railway line. Works a dream with no complaints from tenants.

I had a secondary window installed to my existing window when I lived at my IP. A gap of about 100mm between the 2 panes of glass, q-lon seals and 6mm glass made a huge difference.

With both windows closed the noise was almost nonexistant. Opening the new window made the noise come back though.

I have read that a secondary window will have more effect on noise reduction due to the gap involved, but you will have to open 2 windows to get a breeze.

I helped to install a secondary window last weekend for a large 2.7m x 1.5m single glazed window at the front of a property set back just over 6m (plus footpath and small median strip) facing a relatively busy road.

Though the noise is not cut out completely there is a substantial difference. It was pretty painless getting the window in as well. I'd definitely recommend doing so. As well as the acoustic improvements there will also be a healthy improvement in terms of thermal insulation. Putting in a secondary window will generally be much easier than removing and replacing an existing window with a double glazed one. It will depend on the type and condition of the existing window and frame as to whether it's a suitable option.

Have a look at any hotel in a built up area, all will have double glazed windows or secondary windows for older buildings. If you find one that has a secondary window pop it open and listen to the difference.

Last edited:
I helped to install a secondary window last weekend for a large 2.7m x 1.5m single glazed window at the front of a property set back just over 6m (plus footpath and small median strip) facing a relatively busy road.

Do you know how much this cost to do? Was it a DIY type installation or a magnetite type solution.

I'd be interested in the details as I have a window of similar size that I am considering doing this with.

Cheers
Neil

Though the noise is not cut out completely there is a substantial difference. It was pretty painless getting the window in as well. I'd definitely recommend doing so. As well as the acoustic improvements there will also be a healthy improvement in terms of thermal insulation. Putting in a secondary window will generally be much easier than removing and replacing an existing window with a double glazed one. It will depend on the type and condition of the existing window and frame as to whether it's a suitable option.

Have a look at any hotel in a built up area, all will have double glazed windows or secondary windows for older buildings. If you find one that has a secondary window pop it open and listen to the difference.

Hi WS,

That sounds very promising.

How long did it take you to do this? Have you done it many times before?

With installing a 2ndary window - are you saying I only need to install another ordinary type of window behind the existing window (ie: the 2ndary window doesnt have to be a special type of window like double glaze)? So I can just go down to Bunnings or some window supplier, give them the measurements and have them deliver some normal windows to the property?

Do you think installing 2ndary window is a relatively easy DIY job? Can a person who has no experience in renovation/building (but with a healthy appetite for learning, reading instructions on labels, watching how-to videos on youtube :eek:, doesnt mind getting their hands dirty) do this??? Do I need electrical equipment (eg: drills etc)?

You said whether 2ndary window is more suitable than removing existing & install double glaze will depend on frames size etc. Can I make that assessment myself with some home-research or should I really be paying a window expert to look at it?

Thanks in advance

Do you know how much this cost to do? Was it a DIY type installation or a magnetite type solution.

I'd be interested in the details as I have a window of similar size that I am considering doing this with.

Cheers
Neil

Hi, it was a DIY install. I believe it's a specially designed 'secondary window', but it's more or less just like a regular window with a different type of glass that I think may actually be a special type of laminate.

Hi WS,

That sounds very promising.

How long did it take you to do this? Have you done it many times before?

With installing a 2ndary window - are you saying I only need to install another ordinary type of window behind the existing window (ie: the 2ndary window doesnt have to be a special type of window like double glaze)? So I can just go down to Bunnings or some window supplier, give them the measurements and have them deliver some normal windows to the property?

Do you think installing 2ndary window is a relatively easy DIY job? Can a person who has no experience in renovation/building (but with a healthy appetite for learning, reading instructions on labels, watching how-to videos on youtube :eek:, doesnt mind getting their hands dirty) do this??? Do I need electrical equipment (eg: drills etc)?

You said whether 2ndary window is more suitable than removing existing & install double glaze will depend on frames size etc. Can I make that assessment myself with some home-research or should I really be paying a window expert to look at it?

Thanks in advance

Have never done it before, and didn't do this on my own. It didn't take that long to do at all, a couple of hours at most.

It's basically just putting a second window into the existing window frame. the more space you allow between the windows, within reason, I think equates to better acoustic insulation.

This window was in pieces, so we first assembled the frame then confirmed that it fitted into the existing window cavity. Squared it up as best as possible then secured the side extrusions into the window frame to keep it all in place. Then popped the glass in - it was one quite large fixed panel and two sliders. This more or less completed the work, though there was a little bit of extra involved here as the new window had a slight gap along the top of the frame. This was easily filled and some screws were added to keep the aluminium frame from drooping towards the centre (given the length of 2.7m).

BTW - I'm by no means an expert on this, just offering as much information as I can, so please use it with caution.

Some other considerations you'll need to make will be in relation to the blinds. Once the window cavity is filled with a second window you'll need to hang the blinds on the outside - called face fitting. Different blinds look different depending on how they're fitted.

Also if you plan on being able to lock/secure both windows, depending on the frames and the locking mechanism you'll need to leave enough room to get the key in. Not that you really need to lock both sets of windows as that would make it harder to open them up if you want to let a breeze in.

On the cost side of things I can't comment as I'm not sure how much a window of this nature would cost.

Back