Unit renovation rules under review in NSW

Unit renovation rules under review in NSW

from: http://www.nmddata.com.au/newsletter/2012-01/06.html

Renovating a unit in NSW could become a lot easier thanks to a recently announced review of the state's strata laws.

The state government's fair trading minister, Anthony Roberts, has announced that the "outdated" laws – first introduced in 1961 – will be reviewed to better reflect the needs of ageing buildings and changing demographics.

The Strata Agency managing director Rachael Kwawegen explains that renovating strata titled properties comes with its own challenges, as owners often need clarification on what they can and can't do before making any changes.

"This initiative will hopefully lead to a greater understanding of the ins and outs of renovating properties and in doing so make the process easier for owners," she says.

The review, including a public three-month online consultation, aims to simplify strata rules and reduce the increasing number of strata cases heading to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal.

Online consultation link: http://www.openforum.com.au/content/strata-laws-online-consultation

great, so I'll be able to convert my one bedroom unit to a two bedroom unit and pocket an extra 30-40K without telling anyone I done the conversion? yeehah!!

Last edited:
I'm sure the proposed changes won't be that drastic but it might at least "allow" owners to upgrade simple items such as kitchen cabinets without the need to go through the OC- not that it doesn't stop most people!

It's bringing it into line with complying development which already allows you to do internal works to a unit without needing the full DA.

Makes sense to some extent.

The last paragraph explains the reason for the change:

"The review, including a public three-month online consultation, aims to simplify strata rules and reduce the increasing number of strata cases heading to the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal."

Back