University whilst working full time

Hi,

I'm considering a return to uni next year to study a degree. I already work full time for a company I like so don't wan to give that up.

I don't have any illusions about it helping my career, I'm studying it because I'm genuinely interested in the subject (and is a different field than my employment). Completing a degree is more of a bucket list thing for me.

How feasible is it to study whilst working full time?
Has anyone here done so?
How have you found it? Any tips?

I've looked through the course handbook and about 90% of the units are available online, so that definitely helps. But unsure if the exams are online as well though? I can't exactly nick out of the office to go do an exam :p

I already looked at Open Uni as an option, but they don't have the course I want. Not sure if they take suggestions on courses? :p

its hard, mate. really hard.

and not just on you, but everyone around you.

if/when i go back again, ill be doing perm part time at work.

Hi

Good for you for wanting to study something your are passionate about.

I studied a masters type course while working full time, was a few night classes and self study and online tests with an exam during the day at the end.

I will say this - I had zero personal time and social life while I was studying. But worth it in the end

Mine was related to my job so I didnt have issues with taking time off. Maybe if its something you really wanted to do you could always use annual leave for the exam dates?

It's tough. After doing a full day's work, the absolute last thing you feel like doing is any kind of study.

I personally think that you should tell your employer that you're going to do some study. That way, when you ask for half a day off for your exams, they'll know why, and hopefully be supportive. Don't kid yourself, you will need time off work at some stage, whether it's to do all the assignments that are due in the same week, or to attend your three hour final exam for a unit.

Good luck if you proceed.

I have done 3 years of part time study while working fulltime and it is hard work. When I went back for masters, I left my job to do it as I had enough of the long hours.

If you are single with no kids its manageable, but if you are after a degree, it will take some time and is a big commitment.

DT, what you gonna study?

http://courses.curtin.edu.au/course_overview/undergraduate/property-finance is what I'm currently thinking, but reviewing a few choices.

It's tough. After doing a full day's work, the absolute last thing you feel like doing is any kind of study.

I personally think that you should tell your employer that you're going to do some study. That way, when you ask for half a day off for your exams, they'll know why, and hopefully be supportive. Don't kid yourself, you will need time off work at some stage, whether it's to do all the assignments that are due in the same week, or to attend your three hour final exam for a unit.

Good luck if you proceed.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think it'll be weird though if I tell my employer I'm studying an unrelated field? They'll think my career goals arent aligned with their's and pass me over for promotions :p

I've done it twice.

Grad dip in planning and MA in Environmental Law.

Hard work. Still have one semester left of my MA and I am so over it.

Do you think it'll be weird though if I tell my employer I'm studying an unrelated field? They'll think my career goals arent aligned with their's and pass me over for promotions :p

If you start taking time off work that isn't explainable, and/or looks dodgy, you won't be their employee of the year anyway. Better to be up front about it. You might be surprised by the support you receive.

Why not be a Finance/Mortgage Broker or are you interested in one of the other disciplines on the list of potential career outcomes?

dtraeger
I can only imagine how difficult this would be and admire those who have made it happen.

All the best

MTR:)

Why not be a Finance/Mortgage Broker or are you interested in one of the other disciplines on the list of potential career outcomes?

I am interested in mortgage broking, but enjoy my current career for now. May review in the future :p

The degree isn't really for career purposes as per original post, although who knows what future holds ;)

I am studying a bachelor of electrical engineering external while working fulltime. As others have said it is do-able but hard. I did 5 years then took 2years off and am just about finished my 3rd year back. I must say it is a whole lot easier when the kids are a bit older and don't want to be around me anyway :rolleyes:

Its all about balance don't let it consume you and all is well.

I once tried part time study, with an employer who gave lecture time off and contributed towards books. I lasted not much longer than a semester. I had to give up some of the other things I enjoyed, like sleeping and eating. (I'd already finished a degree).

I'm studying full time now, and sometimes it's quite difficult to fit in study with personal and relationship time. Studying and working can get very much in the way of a relationship if you have one- or stop you getting into one if you don't.

I would have liked to have studied law but when I was young study was definitely not a priority.

Finance/Mortgage Broking can be a tough gig at first but it is also very rewarding as you can make a huge difference in peoples lives sometimes pulling them back from the brink to the other end of the spectrum assisting to create significant wealth and everything in between. You can also learn "on the job" and have the potential be an established player in the same time it takes to attain a degree.

All the best and I admire your determination to achieve a goal such as this.

I never finished high school (no regrets)
and have never had the desire to go further,

so I have a hard time relating to wanting to learn something for fun.

Other than that, I wish you success.
I'd also suggest telling your employer you love your job, but are taking courses, because it is on your bucket list.

I've done 3 or 4 degrees while working full time. It is not really hard, but perhaps hard to keep motivated. I used to download the lectures and listen to them on my phone while walking, driving, in the shower etc.

(I was a mortgage broker and then started studying law when I was about 35)

Dear DTraeger

Congrats on even thinking about it.

Start with a bit of a checklist

1. Do I have friends and family support?

2. See above.

3. You must have number one..

this is what you need, people to tell you to keep at it when you feel like quitting..

Good on you !

I never finished high school (no regrets)
and have never had the desire to go further,

so I have a hard time relating to wanting to learn something for fun.

Other than that, I wish you success.
I'd also suggest telling your employer you love your job, but are taking courses, because it is on your bucket list.

I really enjoy exercising my mind. Some people enjoy exercising their bodies- I don't. We have different abilities, tastes and needs.

I've done 3 or 4 degrees while working full time. It is not really hard, but perhaps hard to keep motivated. I used to download the lectures and listen to them on my phone while walking, driving, in the shower etc.

(I was a mortgage broker and then started studying law when I was about 35)

Technology makes some things easier in that regard. When I started studying g my second degree (the whole semester of it) there were only face to face lectures and books. Some years later I studied some languages and used a Walkman to help pronounce and learn vocabulary. Now I don't even leave home- it's all on the net.

The subject matter doesn't suit listening while on the move, but I do learn my choir parts that way.

Back