Unresponsive RE agents

Just been to my second Open House, same as first open, agent didnt' even bother to ask my name or contact no and when I asked about other homes he might have on his books and told him the amount I would be spending [not chickenfeed] wasn't even interested.

I am quite depressed about having to deal with the agents on the east side of Lake Macquarie :(

Not ok behaviour at all as servicing buyers is where the next listing comes from.

If I can pls offer a re agents perspective - when someone is looking through an open inspection, we look for "buying signals" which tell us that these guys are ready to submit an offer - they get the most attention. I personally look at all body language and behaviour and can read people very well.

If a prospective purchaser is telling me "what else is there" it automatically tells me they have no interest in this and depending on who else is there and how many people are looking through, I may choose to focus my energy on people who are displaying stronger buying signals and more interest.

If you in addition told the agent that you are an "investor" it is also an automatic withdraw of attention from most agents as home buyers normally offer better prices.

I've had people give me a business card that says "investor" and have asked me to call them if a "good deal" comes up - I can't begin to tell you how laughable this is - it's taken back to the office for a good laugh as it is so ego based.

Funny how the big multi million dollar developers don't have cards that say "investor" nor do they list with re agents for "deals" lol

Last edited:
I've had people give me a business card that says "investor" and have asked me to call them if a "good deal" comes up - I can't begin to tell you how laughable this is - it's taken back to the office for a good laugh as it is so ego based.

Funny how the big multi million dollar developers don't have cards that say "investor" nor do they list with re agents for "deals" lol

You know some 'ego buyers' can potentially be sellers and LLs as well?

pinkboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great insights Xenia. I agree with your comments that the current buyer might be the next seller, but in reality when the market is hot selling agents tend to become less responsive in their customer service. I've seen this repeatedly in across several boom cycles.

I've had that too. A business card saying "investor" or similar certainly makes an impression, but it's not a favourable one.

Hi Xenia - I sold real estate for some years and never let anyone in a vendors home without obtaining names and contact numbers for first, security reasons - secondly for would be buyers who may not be interested in that particular house but could be interested in buying another home I would have in my books. I also followed up with a phone call to let them know I was willing to help them to look for a home, never met one who didn't appreciate the friendly willing approach. That way I built up a good reputation and did well.

Didn't tell them I was an investor, I am not, did tell them I was looking for a house to live in.

Some great insights Xenia. I agree with your comments that the current buyer might be the next seller, but in reality when the market is hot selling agents tend to become less responsive in their customer service. I've seen this repeatedly in across several boom cycles.

I've had that too. A business card saying "investor" or similar certainly makes an impression, but it's not a favourable one.

Up there with 'mortgage broker' :p

Hi Xenia - I sold real estate for some years and never let anyone in a vendors home without obtaining names and contact numbers for first, security reasons - secondly for would be buyers who may not be interested in that particular house but could be interested in buying another home I would have in my books. I also followed up with a phone call to let them know I was willing to help them to look for a home, never met one who didn't appreciate the friendly willing approach. That way I built up a good reputation and did well.

Didn't tell them I was an investor, I am not, did tell them I was looking for a house to live in.

I agree totally - we always take details and everyone is followed up too - just offering a perspective that if there were many people looking through attention could have been diverted to those who look more genuine.

Still no excuse for ignoring someone completely.

Bit judgemental don't you think?

Perhaps, but it is statistically accurate. I then get to see their income, assets and liabilities. I've yet to see someone with this card that actually lives up to the description. Those that truly do meet the description generally don't bother with business cards.

Modesty is an underrated virtue definitely in all areas of endeavour including RE agents. I don't think anyone in sales can make an accurate assessment of anyone at first glance, you just don't know what you might be missing by not giving people your attention. The investor card is very pretentious for sure.

A business card that describes a service it mortgage broker or real estate agent is different to one that describes a choice or lifestyle or behaviour.

I've seen the word "ethical" on cards.
If you have to tell people then you're probably not!

If you have to tell people you invest in property on a card - you're probably very small or have just done a course that has convinced you you're an investor!

I would hate to have to deal with the general public so I have some sympathy for people who have to but when I'm buying especially in another state I'm not kicking tyres I'm don't have the time to so I can't see why you don't think an agent would be as responsive. If it looks like a good deal I won't procrastinate as much as a person looking for a home.

I've been given a business card that said 'Mr Citizen- International Human Being'.
A bit unusual, and when I followed all the buyers up on Monday he had a funny voicemail message too.

Unresponsive agents are the worst, I'm an investor too and when I can't get a call back for a price guide or inspection time for a property I usually just move on to the next property.

Just been to my second Open House, same as first open, agent didnt' even bother to ask my name or contact no and when I asked about other homes he might have on his books and told him the amount I would be spending [not chickenfeed] wasn't even interested.

I am quite depressed about having to deal with the agents on the east side of Lake Macquarie :(

I don't know what you're complaining about. These useless agents are great to buy from...

Why is "investor" deemed a joke when that is what you actually do? I guess this explains why most people treat me like a stay at home mum and think that investing is just some silly hobby I do in between cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids.

Back