Urgent Advice Needed

Urgent Advice Needed Urgent Advice NeededHi, All,

I am in the process of building a 2 story house (2/3 finish). Orgional bench top was laminate. Now I think of using Corian. The builder advised to change to Corian bench top would cost me $2800 + 400 (variation fee). I thought Corian bench top may improve my kitchen to another level?

Is it cost wise to spend aditional $3200? You experience and advice is appreciated.

Hi

If it were me, I would make the kitchen comparible in standard to the rest of the house generally. $3200 is a lot of money for a bench top.

Regards

Adrian

It depends on whether the house is your PPof R-- if so choose what you want to enjoy. If it is for resale - My experience is that Corian is not as well known as other surfaces and the extra cost may not be justified,as it is a rather neutral finish(although superior in wear etc to laminate) If for resale you may be better going with Granite as it is more recognised as a top quality finish and I think you may be able to get a deal on granite cheaper than Corian. If you are building to rent the property you must be aware that granite is an absorbent surface and requires some care in use. It absorbs oil and grease marks which would bound to occur in rented premises. Corian can be refinished to fix burn or scratch marks ,unlike laminate but the increased cost would not be justified in a rental house.All the best.

I'd agree with Adrian .

Really depends on standard of rest of the house. Corian is nice but not cheap. When we've looked in the past is it's more expensive than an average Granite. More of a PPOR finish or high end IP.

The rest of the Kitchen would have to be in good condition and the house should be in a nice area and then I probably wouldn't worry about it in an IP.

See Change

Thank you all for your kind advice.

My house is about 300m to beach, in front of a park and have ocean views --- that was why I am building a double story. I do want to resell it when it finish. The house will cost me about $250k. I thought the extra $3000 may bring back me $10k. Currently I use posformed laminate. I thought the marble might be too dear. Then I thought Corian might be the answer. No idea what I should do.

In that situation , I'd probably look at granite rather than Corian .

Corain is a more durable product , but a lot of people arn't that familiar with it.
Personally I prefer the look of granite , but at the moment Corian is quite popular in the interior decorating mags.

Granite , not marble.

See Change

I would look at what similar quality houses are using in your suburb.

In your price range I'd definitely use something more than laminate. I would disagree with using granite though. Granite has done its dash and I think marble looks much better for the same cost.

Have a look at Caesar stone if you want to stay with a man made product. It looks better than Corian IMHO.

http://www.caesarstone.com.au/

ani

Thanks to See Change, Acey, Arian, Jacque, Mizbuf for all your advice.

I am not confident I can do it myself. I leave it for my future reno.

Thank you again for your kind advice. This is a great place to seek advice. I regret I do not have much experience to contribute.

iBeginner

ani said:
I would look at what similar quality houses are using in your suburb.

In your price range I'd definitely use something more than laminate. I would disagree with using granite though. Granite has done its dash and I think marble looks much better for the same cost.

Have a look at Caesar stone if you want to stay with a man made product. It looks better than Corian IMHO.

http://www.caesarstone.com.au/

ani

Actually would agree with Ani re the caesarstone. Used it in a bathroom renovation at my own place and it's very durable. If my kids haven't marked it after almost two years use, then it must be indestructible :)

another alternative to caesarstone is smartstone - also a man-made stone product and looks good. the website at www.smartstone.com.au will point you in the right direction for purchasing and suppliers.

lizzie

Last edited:
sorry i don't know the price per metre etc cause it is part of the deal i have with the spec builder. send them an e-mail as the address is under the contact details - or ask for a free quote under the purchasing header.

they have been really helpful with me in chosing a colour so i'm sure a quick call or e-mail will be no trouble.

lizzie

In our recent PPOR, standard was corian bench top, it was going to cost about the same for granite, caesarstone would have been a little cheaper. The advantage of Corian is that they can produce large shapes without any joins (ie for an L shaped kitchen you can get one piece) everything else required a join.

Bruce

Thanks Everyone for all the useful feedback. I actually visisted few shops to get understood all these different things. It seems Corian more expansive than others --- Do not know why. I plan to use Corian.

Back