US foreclosures - Boholt Seminars - NO

You're right MelbMan,

I haven't used a chequebook for the last 10 years and don't know anyone that does. We are so used to the instant payment system (direct deposit/BPay etc), that I suppose anything else seems backwards.

It is a lesson for all of us to learn when dealing with these issues. For them it's normal, for us it's a pain in the ...... Once we can wrap our heads around it, we can deal with it.

Once we can wrap our heads around it, we can deal with it.

Truer words never spoken Bevk!

In my experience some opportunities the door is open for a while and then the reasons to invest fade. Speaking personally I missed out Burnie, Tas in 2002/2003. Back then you could buy properties for $40k. Now they are $150-200k and the yield and entry price has totally changed. Like most small places the rates are high.

We bought in NZ in 2003 when it was cheap.. about $45k. Now that house is $140k, the exchange rates have changed... it's cheap to get in but the rates are expensive as well and the net yield is about 7%, not much more than you can get from a cash management account with no risk & a question mark over future capital growth.

I'm thinking the USA looks good on paper at the moment. That will vary from state to state. I'm sure there's a lot of people who can just take the plunge. For some of us, property aside it's an interesting journey trying to get our head around the differences!

On the forex risk, if you've paid cash (or borrowed in Aussie) and the Aussie dollar weakens, your debt in AUD will increase but so will the return in AUD if the exchange rate drops. If the AUD gets stronger, your rental return in AUD will drop. Difficult to crystal ball.. it could go up or down 10/15% from where it is at the moment. If it were to drop this could underpin the return in AUD. I've my personal doubts whether we'll see the AUD get much above 1.05 or 1.10 USD. Don't think anyone can crystal ball this, not even people who do it for a living.

If the AUD was at 50 or 60c USD I don't think most of us would give the USA a second look. Same if the AUD eventually powers through 1.20 or 1.30 USD the yields will drop. Just at the moment, the stars are lined up. There's some other comments I could make but let's leave it there.

Last edited:
just on the spruiker action goin on at the moment, I got this one sent to my hotmail account...

Meet Demetrius Mathis, Owner , Real Estate Investor Nationwide Investment Group,LLC I am a wholesale investor in the United States. We provide turnkey investment properties to foreign nationals using our turnkey approach. I saw your post in Somersoft and thought we maybe a fit for you if you want to invest here. We get most of our properties directly from the bank. Therefore we can pass the savings directly to you. Our average property here in Jackson, Miss ranges about 30k to 40k and rents for $650 to $800 per month.. That includes rehab. We take care of the acquisition, rehab, and total property management for you. In our market there is a demand for rental properties. So placing a tenant will be quick and seamless. We can also provide you properties that are already rehabbed with tenants. But your best value will be prerehabs needing just cosmectics. We are also expanding into the Florida market as well.Please visit our website http://nationwide-assets.com/ for a little more information about us. Many of our properties aren’t posted yet. But this will give you an idea of our inventory. We prefer cash deals, but maybe able to get some financing as well. Thanks very much. Look forward to hearing from you.My direct email is [email protected] Demetrius MathisNationwide Investment Group,LLCwww.nationwide-assets.com601-624-9475

Is this the same one everyone else got??

Boods

yep, that is what i got.

it looks like those nigerian scam is happening again. this time targetting us.

just on the spruiker action goin on at the moment, I got this one sent to my hotmail account...

Meet Demetrius Mathis, Owner , Real Estate Investor Nationwide Investment Group,LLC I am a wholesale investor in the United States. We provide turnkey investment properties to foreign nationals using our turnkey approach. I saw your post in Somersoft and thought we maybe a fit for you if you want to invest here. We get most of our properties directly from the bank. Therefore we can pass the savings directly to you. Our average property here in Jackson, Miss ranges about 30k to 40k and rents for $650 to $800 per month.. That includes rehab. We take care of the acquisition, rehab, and total property management for you. In our market there is a demand for rental properties. So placing a tenant will be quick and seamless. We can also provide you properties that are already rehabbed with tenants. But your best value will be prerehabs needing just cosmectics. We are also expanding into the Florida market as well.Please visit our website http://nationwide-assets.com/ for a little more information about us. Many of our properties aren’t posted yet. But this will give you an idea of our inventory. We prefer cash deals, but maybe able to get some financing as well. Thanks very much. Look forward to hearing from you.My direct email is [email protected] Demetrius MathisNationwide Investment Group,LLCwww.nationwide-assets.com601-624-9475

Boods

Boods

sure is.As mentioned Of the nigerian scammer variety. Out of 99000 spam mails. All they need is one.... Like so many others i bet he jumps from forum to forum. Where he puts *Somersoft* in the text is most certainly where he would slot each and every other place he bombards then...adios amigo! Undale! Undale! Arriba! Arriba!

Hi Aaron a bit too much time on my hands today, so might be a perfect time to ring the ATO and get the lowdown straight from the horses mouth.

Postscript : About a 48hr turnaround from the ATO on this sort of question, will let you know what I find out.

What I'm hoping for is that any tax paid in the USA is credited here. The interesting part will be if you paid 30% in the USA but only need to pay 15% or nil tax here (if SMSF in pensions phase) will the 15% or 30% paid be a credit like dividend imputation. Should know before Christmas.

Our options are to buy in our own names via a USA LLC, JV between the SMSF and ourselves (50/50 or 75/25) or just the SMSF.

SURFING THE NET
Came across http://www.myusaproperty.com.au/smsf.php
There are many benefits of investing
in US properties using your SMSF.

- Lower taxes on the net income of your US Property.
- Decreased capital gains tax upon disposal of your US property.
- Foreign tax credit benefits.
- No income tax on net rental or capital gains tax in pension phase.

Benefits of investing in US properties using your self managed superannuation fund - SMSF

Net income on your US property investment will be taxed at 15%, compared to 30% for companies or for individuals up to 46.5%.

Capital gains tax upon disposal of your US property (held over 12 months) will only be taxed at 10%, compared to 30% for companies or for individuals:

15.75% with taxable income between $35,000 and $80,000;
19.75% with taxable income between $80,000 and $180,000;
23.25% with taxable income exceeding $180,000.

Any US tax payable by the SMSF in the US on net income or capital gains will be offset against any income tax payable in Australia by the SMSF by way of a foreign tax credit.

Once a member of a SMSF reaches the age of 60 and in pension phase, the SMSF pays no income tax on net rental income or capital gains tax in Australia for that member of the fund.

Important Consideration

As an asset protection strategy, it is not recommended that the SMSF invests directly in US properties. This is because in the event of any litigation arising from the US property investment, the assets of the SMSF will be potentially exposed.

In this regard, it is recommended that a special purpose vehicle be incorporated to invest in US properties (such as a Australian Pty Ltd company as trustee for a Unit Trust, or in some cases a US incorporated Limited Liability Corporation ("LLC"), with the SMSF owning all the units in the Unit Trust or all the shares in the LLC.

Note
The above is only general tax treatment and is not advice. Please seek appropriate professional advice before investing.

Last edited:
Was going to add hold the llc under discretionary trust if going through SMSF although I think Karina added that bit first.... However also covered above.

I have however got a one up ... I too have been offered the amazing opportunity to buy really, really bad housing in Jackson BUT, as I know all the words to Johnny Cash's song, I think I should win the award... I am so so so excited.... I can drive from LAS to Jackson.....and claim it as a tax deduction.... Except I gave to pay income tax in Miss.....

YAY me... Ps Reeco, if it is Elvis wigs in Vegas, what do we wear in Jackson?

Karina needs to add, she has the scoop on SMSF.. From a US perspective there is no double taxation for LLC's... Outside of S corps they are the only ones that don't incur it... So, the tax burden is passed straight through to the individuals tax status.

Ok this is what I understand of SMSF’s and buying property in the USA. (these are my notes from Dymphna freebie seminar) . Please seek your own advise from your accountant etc.

1. You cannot borrow in the US to buy in a superfund
2. You cannot use LLC’s in America to buy property with SMSF funds (it is against the CIS ACT) – This is because we do not have LLC’s or similar structure to LLC in Australia. Do not mess around with SMSF’s , if you do something that is not permitted (like buying property in an LLC) you could be FINED as much as 50% of your superfund.
3. You can do this. Set up a C-CORP (C-Corp shares owned by the superfund) and buy property in the C-Corp.

Again this was what I understood from the presentation but it may not be accurate so please seek your own legal advise.

Thanks Karina... like you I was at one of Boholts seminars in Melbourne (and have about 28 pages of handwritten notes which my original intention was to type up and knock into shape).

I'm waiting on a call back from the ATO from yesterday. Coincidentally when I phoned the receptionist said "I've only just had a call like that". Maybe it was Aaron from this thread? Great minds think a like.

Thanks for your input Karina.

I'm waiting on a call back from the ATO from yesterday. Coincidentally when I phoned the receptionist said "I've only just had a call like that". Maybe it was Aaron from this thread? Great minds think a like.

yeah that would have been me. i made the call within 30 mins of posting.

SMSF buying USA property

Had my call from the ATO. The only thing we didn't clarify was whether an LLC or S Corp as Karina suggested a few posts back was the appropriate vehicle

Here how I see it

SMSF holds units in either LLC of S-Corp
LLC or S-Corp is the owner of the property
Like here the property cannot be used as security or borrowed against

LLC or S-Corp lodges USA tax return and pays USA taxes
Let's say nett rental income of $6000 per year x 30% tax = $1800

The ATO offsets this $1800 tax paid in the USA against what your SMSF owes the ATO here. So could be offset against fund earnings or even 15% tax on contributions.

A fund in pension phase that theoretically has no Australian tax to pay could be a situation where there's nothing to credit the American tax against. But for example if you are in a TRIP (Transitional Retirement income pension) which you can do when you're over 55 and you can still work, then the USA tax paid could be offset against the tax on contributions.

So you'd need to be contributing $12,000 per year (contributions tax $1800) to fully offset the $USD1800 paid in American tax in the example above.

Aaron - did this line up with your conversation with the ATO?

Please apply caveat emptor to this example. After we finished our conversation I put it to the ATO guy that you'd really need to suck and see the first return to see how it really worked out in practice. He agreed. But the offset system is what they'll apply.

Last edited:

Snippets that were taken from this article. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/dec/19/cookie-cutter-buildings-scar-vegas-beauty

Judging by the comments the article from the LV-Sun is a very true/honest take on LV in its current and short term state.

Henderson dont look so pretty with those carved black hills. Then again im from NZ so i would say that. Still...Black hills...talk about your differences in social and cultural norms!

Had my call from the ATO. The only thing we didn't clarify was whether an LLC or S Corp as Karina suggested a few posts back was the appropriate vehicle

Here how I see it

SMSF holds units in either LLC of S-Corp
LLC or S-Corp is the owner of the property
Like here the property cannot be used as security or borrowed against

LLC or S-Corp lodges USA tax return and pays USA taxes
Let's say nett rental income of $6000 per year x 30% tax = $1800

The ATO offsets this $1800 tax paid in the USA against what your SMSF owes the ATO here. So could be offset against fund earnings or even 15% tax on contributions.

A fund in pension phase that theoretically has no Australian tax to pay could be a situation where there's nothing to credit the American tax against. But for example if you are in a TRIP (Transitional Retirement income pension) which you can do when you're over 55 and you can still work, then the USA tax paid could be offset against the tax on contributions.

So you'd need to be contributing $12,000 per year (contributions tax $1800) to fully offset the $USD1800 paid in American tax in the example above.

Aaron - did this line up with your conversation with the ATO?

Please apply caveat emptor to this example. After we finished our conversation I put it to the ATO guy that you'd really need to suck and see the first return to see how it really worked out in practice. He agreed. But the offset system is what they'll apply.

just got off the phone now, and yep - exactly the same.

he was quite nice about it as well - essentially you stil get a double tax.

Back