US Market - Limit Down and Circuit Breakers

Time to learn some new words. Gotta love Google.

Just saw on Fox business news that all of the US markets are Limit Down meaning that in pre-open they have hit a limit whereby the market won't accept any more sell orders until the market opens.

They are also talking about Circuit Breakers. Apparently if the market trades down to certain levels when open then the market will automatically close for a period of time. The period of time the market is closed for depends on the time of day that the circuit breaker gets activated.

Interesting times in deed.

The same in Europe.

How old are you Ethann? You may be able to tell your grand kids "I was watching the markets on the web (you can hear about that on the history channel) on 10/24/08" On second thoughts the Yanks may not take over the world afterall and it may be 24/10/'08 still. :)

We live in troubled times. (forget "interesting")

The same in Europe.

"I was watching the markets on the web (you can hear about that on the history channel) on 10/24/08"

Classic! It never occurred to me.

Was talking to a friends son and mentioned "Rocky". He goes "Who's Rocky". That was my call to action. Straight to the video shop. Education is so important.

Tonight is probably the first time that I've been concerned about what's happening to the US markets. Before that I felt it was just a strong decline in terms of historical drops.

Wonder what the intra-day trading will be like. The DOW has been all over the place this week.

If you're going to do some study on the subject, check out the "uptick rule". It is another shorter term damper although it limits shorting which is still verboten in the US (I think?)

If you're going to do some study on the subject, check out the "uptick rule". It is another shorter term damper although it limits shorting which is still verboten in the US (I think?)

Thanks for that. Just looked it up. Had heard of it but now know what it means. I can see that this would help limit short runs on a stock to some degree.

Looking to short the DOW tonight :)

Ethann

It doesnt limit the short it just suspends the inevitable.

Shorting is very much alive and well in the USA thankfully.

Back