Using Quickbooks for PM?

Are you using Intuit Quickbooks software to manage your PI?
I recently obtained Quickbooks Pro 2005 and in the process of learning the program.

How did you setup the new company in Quickbooks for property management?

I too am looking at using Quickbooks Pro edition.

Apparantly with the Pro edition you can set up classes (or properties) within the business (trust), so not only can you get reports on the business (trust) as a whole for the year but also for individual properties.

Not sure how to set it up though, but I'm playing around with the trial pack at the moment. On the website you can find out details of a Quickbooks trainer in your local area who will train you as well as set up your business on Quickbooks.

I might have to refer to the trainer as I'm getting stuck, though at $65 per hour :eek: , I';d prefer not to !! I guess if I invested 4 hours for the trainer to teacj me it would bet set up ok and be money well spent.

Does anyone know if you can record your own personal finances on Quickbooks Pro, rather than having to get Quicken Personal Plus ??

Regards
Tweaker.

Hi Tweaker, try borrowing several Quickbooks tutorial book from a nearby library. I was able to find 3 tutorial books for the new 2005 version and a dozen more for the past versions.

Let's see if anyone else can chime in on the use of Quickbooks for PM.

Most accounting packages will do the job of keeping track of 'the money going out and the money coming in'. I use MYOB ver12. With it I do my personal accts, a business and my IPs. I am able to transfer info to Excel and compile reports the way I want them. I imagine that Quicken, Quick Books will do the same. I found that Quicken for personal accounts was not flexible enough and had too many bells and whistles. It appears to be similar to MS Money, a super accounting program for personal accounts.
I guess the first step in using an accounting program is to develop an understanding of accounting and what info you need. There is also an excellent spreadsheet for Property Investing doing the rounds of this forum. A 'search' should come up with a link...for property investing, it is better than any accounting package.

Back