Vacant land and Owner's details

Today I received an email from our neighbour at our currently vacant block of land that my hubby and I own in Canberra. In the email trail, I can see that they had asked the real estate agent for our contact details as they want to erect a fence between our blocks and wanted our contact details so that they could get in touch with us to cover half the cost.

I understand that bit, what I don't understand is all the information that the real estate agent handed over about us without first seeking our permission. Not only did they give our full names, they also gave our home address, my husband's mobile phone number, and my work email address. Oh, and our solicitor's details.

Is this acceptable? To me it's not. I would have thought they would have to gain our permission to give out our personal details. I would think that maybe one name and a mobile/home number would be ok, but not all the details that they gave out. Now I feel like they're going to rock up on our doorstep demanding payment.

What do you guys think?

I would have thought they'd ask you if your details could be passed on before doing it.

It's a bit weird that they gave all of those details - a name and number would have done the trick.

I just had a new fence put in - feel free to PM me if you want the companies details. I think they done a good job and the price seemed reasonable - must admit I didn't shop around though.

Cheers

Jamie

Today I received an email from our neighbour at our currently vacant block of land that my hubby and I own in Canberra. In the email trail, I can see that they had asked the real estate agent for our contact details as they want to erect a fence between our blocks and wanted our contact details so that they could get in touch with us to cover half the cost.

I understand that bit, what I don't understand is all the information that the real estate agent handed over about us without first seeking our permission. Not only did they give our full names, they also gave our home address, my husband's mobile phone number, and my work email address. Oh, and our solicitor's details.

Is this acceptable? To me it's not. I would have thought they would have to gain our permission to give out our personal details. I would think that maybe one name and a mobile/home number would be ok, but not all the details that they gave out. Now I feel like they're going to rock up on our doorstep demanding payment.

What do you guys think?

Breach of your privacy and possibly Privacy Act.

Breach of your privacy and possibly Privacy Act.

thats would i would have thought

u would have signed a contract with the agent but disclosure to a third party after the contract is over and even before i am sure would be a breach of that act

i am sure u dont want to get them in trouble but telling them off is pretty fair in my mind

Hi luckyone,

Before you fly off the handle completely, perhaps have a squizz at exactly what information is freely available about yourself on public records.

Certainly the block's owner is public knowledge via land title's office.

From that, if it's in personal names, then obviously your full names, your full residential address and your dates of birth are all public knowledge via the electoral roll.

If you're listed in the phone book (not a silent listing) then both your home phone number and mobile are also public knowledge.

-------

Most people assume that all of their private details are "private"....but in fact the vast majority is public knowledge.

The only thing that is wrong in the whole equation is their initial assumption that all of their details are private.....when they are clearly not.

If I was you, I'd simply pick up the phone and have a chat with your neighbour and sort the issue out in 5 minutes flat.

Back