vacant possession but still a lease in place

im due to have settlement on the 10 april as agreed on the contract with vacant possession BUT a 3 months lease is in place which will end on the 8 may (so almost 30 days over).

this lease was never agreed upon and the real estate agent decided to go ahead and sign up new tenants to take over the past month-to-month tenants that were in place before.

thing is: we don't want the tenant, we've made plans (our house is on the market) and the new house needs to be rennovated before we can move in so having that extra month would be a massive help.

we are extremely angry at all this: if the estate agent had a grain of brain, he should have contacted us first before placing anyone on a lease and have our consent since the lease would be going over by one month (therefore, those tenants will be in our house)

We've made it very clear to our conveyancer and they told us that it looks like we won't get vacant possession.

So what can we do now?

Ouch that is annoying. The only thing you can do is possibly withhold money at settlement for breach of the contract by the vendor. Possibly seek some compensation due to lost opportunity/rental or reliance damages.

I don't think you can terminate the agreement because you are not the 'landlord' when the tenancy was created so you have no standing right now.

Oh I feel your pain! We had to wait 6 months to move into our house, we just did all the renos to it, while the tenants were in the house, and got a nice tax return at the end of the year :)

im due to have settlement on the 10 april as agreed on the contract with vacant possession BUT a 3 months lease is in place which will end on the 8 may (so almost 30 days over).

this lease was never agreed upon and the real estate agent decided to go ahead and sign up new tenants to take over the past month-to-month tenants that were in place before.

thing is: we don't want the tenant, we've made plans (our house is on the market) and the new house needs to be rennovated before we can move in so having that extra month would be a massive help.

we are extremely angry at all this: if the estate agent had a grain of brain, he should have contacted us first before placing anyone on a lease and have our consent since the lease would be going over by one month (therefore, those tenants will be in our house)

We've made it very clear to our conveyancer and they told us that it looks like we won't get vacant possession.

So what can we do now?

What does the sale contract say? If QLD then if no vacant possession on settlement day the buyer can terminate and seek damages.

Seriously? They signed up a NEW tenant while the house was under contract for a vacant possession? Which means the previous tenant left knowing the house was for sale?

If I was the new tenant I'd be pissed as much as you are.

Seriously? They signed up a NEW tenant while the house was under contract for a vacant possession? Which means the previous tenant left knowing the house was for sale?

If I was the new tenant I'd be pissed as much as you are.

Me too, but we have to remember they are proffessional agents and they know what they are doing.

Must have been the tenant's fault :confused::rolleyes:

Imagine how the owner may feel...if they think they are losing a sale.

For sure, the professionalism I talked about affects everyone, luckily it's only money & shelter we're talking about and not anything important.

Maybe we're panicking over nothing and the REA knows what they are doing :rolleyes:

I'd seek damages. Get them to pay your rent until you get possession or risk losing the sale. Not ideal but better than just wearing it (which you don't have to do).

Waiting for the obligatory "thats what you resi investors get" post from Dazz... :D

I think his recent bad retail experiences have him licking his wounds a bit..;)

It sounds like retail is even worse than resi, and Dazz is suffering at the moment. He might need some TLC!

our house is currently on the market, its been for 4 weeks now and no offers yet so we have a mortgage (very small, $520 per month).

If things fall through, can we get them to pay for the real estate agent fees for our current house?

Btw, the tenants in the new house are different tenants apparently.
The previous one moved out once the house was under offer and they signed up someone else for 3 months.

you may need to switch to a solicitor if your conveyancer isnt managing it strongly enough for you.

My understanding, which is very limited, is that if the contract states vacant possession, then you dont need to settle until the property is vacant.

One thing on your side is that you havent sold your house yet, so you can include negotiating a longer settlement with your purchaser to allow you to do what you need to do.

The agency can't sign up a new tenant without the owner's knowledge.

What were they thinking!!! :eek:
Serves them right if you decide not to settle, or ask for compensation.

I thought about that before I wrote that post, but some of the horror stories we hear about PMs...who knows what they tell the owners.

ask for compensation and then negotiate a longer settle period on your house and you will be better off :p
try and turn it into a positive

Back