Vehicle in son's name - how risky is this?

Our 19 year old son has a car that is still registered in my name.

When he doesn't pay his parking fine, or toll fee I'm assuming that this could end up being a mark against my name and could jeopardise any finance I might try for in the future?

If he forgets to pay his registration and/or insurance, and has an accident, his insurance will not pay up. This is putting my good name at risk, isn't it?

I'm also assuming that if he is in an accident and somebody decides to sue him, they would sue me being the "owner" of the vehicle?

Our IPs are in hubby's name, but our PPOR is in both names? Could this be at risk?

I've asked him to please organise the paperwork to change the vehicle into his name, but he isn't in any rush to do it.

Are my concerns warranted?

If he doesn't pay a fine that is considered a penalty/crime. It does not appear on your credit file because it isn't a 'debt'. Of course, unpaid toll fees etc are debts that can show up for non-payment.

Best way to avoid it is put the car in a company name. If he crashes into someone he is going to be personally liable regardless of who's car he is driving, unless the insurance policy also covers him.

The process of a transfer of registration from A to B, in NSW is a 2 step process.

A submits a 'notice of disposal' to the Roads & Traffic Authority (the 'other' RTA).
B submits his/her paperwork to the RTA and pays stamp duty etc.

Once A does his/her thing, A is off the hook for anything B does.

Does it work something similar in Qld?

Oldest son's car was bought in my name and we then organised transfer into his name. We didn't need to pay stamp duty, but cannot remember the details.

This should be the same. I just don't like the fact that I keep getting overdue toll notices and believe I am risking being sued.

I just want him to treat this as something important to me and not keep waving me off.

If I have to get the forms myself, I will, but I want him to take some responsibility for his own "stuff".

I'm with Prop on this ... either tell him you are transferring on X date and if he doesn't fullfill his half of the deal then he'll be up for transfer fees ... or just complete you part of the transfer (on the back of the registration papers) and you are then no longer liable.

If you get any fines for him, you can just fill out the declaration form that comes with it in the post to say he was driving, and these are then put against his licence.

Sometimes it's easier NOT to take responsibility at that age if there is nothing "in it" for them. Sometimes you just gotta force it on them.

Give him a deadline to have it transferred and if it isn't done,take a screwdriver and remove the plates until it is done.
You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes :p

Oldest son's car was bought in my name and we then organised transfer into his name. We didn't need to pay stamp duty, but cannot remember the details.

This should be the same. I just don't like the fact that I keep getting overdue toll notices and believe I am risking being sued.

I just want him to treat this as something important to me and not keep waving me off.

If I have to get the forms myself, I will, but I want him to take some responsibility for his own "stuff".

Don't you get the option to "nominate" the driver?

i.e. if it was a hire car , I'm sure it would go to the driver rather than the hire company?

* Note *

No Toll Roads in WA so am curious also

Wylie, I am a little confused. How can it be "in his name" yet registered in your name. Isn't the regsitered person the owner of the vehicle?

Having him the regsitered owner wil at least leave the responsibility with him. Do this post haste. I am also assuming the car is (will be) insured in his name.

The fines and overdue notices he accrues should slowly $ink in as valuable le$$on$ for him.

Prop's outline above seems right, however with transferring rego, you will need to arrange a roadworthy again. We registered my car this year in Qld (from Vic) and had to get a roadworthy. We left my wife's car in Melbourne and gave it to her sister. The car was not worth paying haulage for to bring to Qld and have since bought her a new car here.

Changing rego (from Vic person to Vic person) also required a new roadworthy even in the same state and some small change stamp duty.

Sorry for the confusion. We bought the oldest son's vehicle in my name and transferred it into his name. Buying it in my name saved hundreds of dollars in insurance due to his age. I don't think we had to get a roadworthy, but if that is the case, this middle boy will pay for it. This vehicle was my late mother's car and we have sold it to him at a good price, so paying for a roadworthy is not a problem, if it is required.

Stamp duty was waived when we transferred to the oldest son, and it should be the same for this transfer (I hope).

He downloaded the forms yesterday after I reminded him (again) that this is something that is important to me. He says he will go to the office (local to us). He wanted me to come with him, but I asked him to please ring and find out what documentation we need to take. He doesn't want to do that and said he'll just go there and see. He was annoyed that I don't want to waste my time sitting in a queue only to be told "we need A, B and C".

If he is too stubborn to call them, he can go and sit in a queue to find out what else he will need, and when he has everything ready for my signature, I'll go with him that visit.

So, I plan on reminding him every working day until this is done.

Back