Very quiet without JWR

Ok guys:

So I am back from the reno

All went to plan in terms of budget in Rocky - 1.5k. Gympie was 5k budget (that could end up being 6k as its not finished yet!)

In Rockhampton I re stumped part of the house - like expected - in only 2 days - which was 1 day ahead of schedule.

Then I went to Gympie for a week...

The work completed was about 60% of what I aimed for (but I had no idea the house was so bloody big! 140sqm with 12ft ceilings and 20sqm verandah)

Some of the roof needs replacing (which isn't done - meaning I will have to go back up there - as I can't afford the few $K the pro's want to charge.)

So the outside still isn't painted but inside is. Whole place cleaned up. Bathroom not yet fixed as there is roof leakages into the bathroom (but everything ready for installation.) Also need to polish floorboards.

Next door they have a pool without a fence - so I am sorting that out with council now (so hopefully will cost me $0 but potentially around $1000 for a new side fence - again - me digging the holes and erecting the fence)

Only spend about $3k incl $700 on car hire/petrol - so not bad! Will need to spend another 2-3k though to fix roof/fence/outstanding issues etc...

But here is the deal I got:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-monkland-106740684

102.5k purchase price - corner block with driveway easement as common land - so I can subdivide the back in the future and put a granny flat on the side at the back.

Next door sold for 300k in 2009 so I did rather well...

Rent will be between 230-250 p/w (could be 300k but I would need a 10k spend to achieve that - which is not worth the effort!)

P.S: I also have 2 TV's, a TV stand, a nice dining room table, fridge, washing machine, dryer, chairs and other crap I have no use for... if anyone wants it?

Now onto looking how to polish floorboards and fix the roof and fence and bathroom etc... before tenants get in the place.

I have had this under contract since December - but I couldn't settle back then as I didn't have the money - so I have been up to all different tricks extending the settlement - so the agent hates me, the vendor hates me, but most importantly; my wallet loves me!

Settlement is tomorrow BTW - but I will extend that another week for good measure!

On to my next project in Adelaide... (which has been under contract 3 months now... so can now settle on that in a few weeks!)

How did you manage to convince them to delay settlement so much? Under such circumstances the buyer tends to be liable to pay interest per day!

Wasn't easy...

but basically...

agree on price...

then they send contract; I send it back with different conditions, I 'forget' to sign on all pages etc... always delay a few days b/w correspondence. Then when everything is done I delay finance date and settlement date etc... just takes some effort and a few 'what's happening' from the agent!

Hard work I tell you!

I asked for a 4 month settlement to start; they would only go for 45 day settlement - but I asked for 4 months for a reason (as I couldn't afford to settle in 45 days) and so I got what I wanted eventually.

So no interest payable etc...

Unfortunately personally I would see intentional delays as a lack of integrity. It may put a few quick bucks in your pocket but IMHO you may be able to do with an agent once but not over and over again. I'm a firm believer of what goes around comes around. I believe the more I deal with others and with life with integrity the more I receive. But then that's how I conduct business. I just ask myself if the actions really empower me or disempower me? We are all out there to get great deals but the luck may run out by repeating the strategy. I understand you had such circumstances that the settlement had to be delayed...and glad you got it your way.

Just my two cents.

Yes I agree it only will work once per agency.

Since I look all over Aus though its not such a big deal.

If it were a town where I would buy multiple investments for myself and others I would change my strategy.

And I will only need to do this on occasion when I see a great deal and need to get it off the market but don't quite have the funds ready at that moment.

If I am in the position to buy straight away there is no benefit in this strategy.

In this instance it made me 100k+ though so its fine with me :cool:

I am with msali on this one.

I also took her point from two angles. msAli - Please feel free to correct me if I interpreted wrongly.

1/ the physical "Burning" of bridges or relationships. U r not worried about this as there are many agents throughout Australia.

2/ the more intangible karma type element of what comes around, goes around. Asking yourself how would I feel on the other end of this deal, being stuffed around. Life has a funny way of maintaining balance. U did not address this element in your reply.

Each to his or her own. I guess I am glad I am a but and hold you're and don'tneed to be stuffed around by buyers.

I don't believe in karma :)

I wouldn't say I am stuffing them around though - as I fully intend to complete the purchase/s.

Ideally I wouldn't want to use this strategy every time - but it was just a necessary evil in this situation (and probably a few times again).

I don't believe in karma :)

I wouldn't say I am stuffing them around though - as I fully intend to complete the purchase/s.

Ideally I wouldn't want to use this strategy every time - but it was just a necessary evil in this situation (and probably a few times again).

mucking around before contracts are signed in order to delay settlemtn is understandable. choosing to stuff them around a week before settlement just for the kicks is not a necessary evil in any way, shape or form.

it is also extremely presumptious of you to say you are not stuffing them around, you have no idea what else they have on the go

i love your attitude with a lot of the things you do but things like this i cant agree with

Delaying settlement by another week (if they bite) to ensure I don't have any holding costs without tenancy.

Unfortunately personally I would see intentional delays as a lack of integrity. It may put a few quick bucks in your pocket but IMHO you may be able to do with an agent once but not over and over again. I'm a firm believer of what goes around comes around. I believe the more I deal with others and with life with integrity the more I receive. But then that's how I conduct business. I just ask myself if the actions really empower me or disempower me?

Where is the 'Like' button?

Thanks Painter and Devank

Matto, you got it.

JWR...Don't have to believe in karma but there is a universal balance ;) I find most people here on the form who are successful (or have commenced this journey with the desire stemming from the sacrifices they have made in their lives) have this unique self awareness and spiritual fronts to their journey. You may not agree now but you may in the future or never. But I find the key to moving forward is not just intellectual it has to come from within. May be those I'm referring to will recognise what I say instantaneously. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt due to your age. I'm in my 20s and had the realisations of the importance of self awareness and empathy at 21.

And..., I'd give up those kind of 100k a million times. But that's just me.

Back