VIC - Buying in Joint ownership with a Temporary visa holder

My partner is currently holding a Temporary visa and I am on a Permanent Residence visa. We are getting married soon. We would like to purchase a second hand established property. Any one know if this is possible with my partner being on Temporary visa?

Thank you.

My partner is currently holding a Temporary visa and I am on a Permanent Residence visa. We are getting married soon. We would like to purchase a second hand established property. Any one know if this is possible with my partner being on Temporary visa?

Thank you.

Better check with the FIRB. May depend on what sort of visa the temporary visa is.

Definitely check with FIRB. I doubt they'll let your partner purchase anything but new.

With that said can you not just put the contract into your name?

I'm in Sydney, so might be different, but used to be temporary resident. FIRB allows Temporary Resident to older unit with Citizen (not sure about PR, so as others said, please check) as long as you're under Joint Tenant http://www.firb.gov.au/content/exemptions/exemptions.asp

Note - seems like this arrangement will limit the banks you can borrow from (at least it was for me back then)

Last edited:
Back