Viewing property while owner is there

Would it bother any of you if an owner was home whilst you were inspecting their property? Would you feel tentative, awkward? Or does it not matter? Maybe you prefer it?

Secondly, have any of you ever enquired on a private sale? Does it make a difference to you if it is private or with an agent? Would you find it awkward having to negotiate directly to the owner rather than using a third party? Have you ever not enquired because a home was being privately sold?

All feedback appreciated in advance…

Would it bother any of you if an owner was home whilst you were inspecting their property? Would you feel tentative, awkward? Or does it not matter? Maybe you prefer it?

Secondly, have any of you ever enquired on a private sale? Does it make a difference to you if it is private or with an agent? Would you find it awkward having to negotiate directly to the owner rather than using a third party? Have you ever not enquired because a home was being privately sold?

We have purchased 5 properties directly from the owner. We tend to pay full asking price, but we always have conditions attached that we want..vendor financing, etc.
When we purchase thru an REA we always offer less, as that is what is expected here.

1. Doesn't bother me, one way or the other.

2. See answer to 1. :D

We haven't bought from a private vendor, but that's just the way it's fallen out. We have sold two of our properties ourselves (ie. no REA) and would do it again in the future.

1. I hate it when I arrive to inspect and the owners are still there and not going anywhere. I feel I can't really have a good look at a place and be a bit critical when the REA starts their 20 Q&A rituals. Recently overlooked 2 possible properties for a PPOR just for that reason. Surely if they want to sell they can find something to do for 30min and leave it to the REA. Its like they don't trust the REA or just want to be nosey at whos looking to buy their house. Strangely I have looked at a few for IPs with the tenants are there and don't have the same issues.

2. Never looked a a private listing, actually avoid them for some reason, which maybe linked to the above issue.

I dont like it when tenants or owners are present when I'm inspecting. Would prefer to do my own looking and chat to the agent.

I would welcome it as I would try to use the opportunity to either speak to the owner or at least get a good understanding about their motivation for sale.

Also, an owner being present isn't doing the REA any favours and would tell me either the seller doesn't have full trust in the agent or doesn't really understand the selling process. Either way a fanatastic opportunity for the buyer.:D

Haven't experienced too many owners there but have experienced a few tenants at open inspections. Yeh a bit awkward entering their bedroom when they're there (usually on their laptop ) but generally they don't look up so I jus ignore them and carry on, pretending they aren't there. Only thing I wouldn't do is open built ins if they are there.

Had one lady doing her dishes, when I walked in the kitchen which was unusual, but I just greeted her and she was nice and just stopped doing the dishes and stepped out.

if the owner is there - y not take the opportunity and ask questions directly to the owner. U wont get the sales overlay then.

I think I've been to one with owners present and it was fine. But when tenants are there you can feel the tension and know you're not welcome.

VERY uncomfortable inspection.

The tenant was home when I inspected the one and only IP I have. What made it VERY uncomfortable was that the lovely lady was the ex-wife of the seller.

She, her mother and two children were renting their marital home off her ex-husband - who was selling to free up $ to buy another house with his new lady.

2 Benefits of having the tenants present.

You get to see how they look after the property and what they are like. They come with the property and you get to reference them before they move in.

You can ask them questions about the property that the agent wont mention, such as any problems. They will mention if there are enough power points or not, taps that keep leaking even after the plumber has been there, lightbulbs that keep blowing etc.

Went to an open last week, the tenant was still there.

Quite an old guy, VERY house proud, kept everything immaculate and the gardens manicured. He kept following the agent and myself around trying to talk about the property - very much annoying the agent.

I had a little chat with the guy as he obviously just wanted someone to talk to.

It did make it awkward, as it meant the agent and myself had to try get away to talk business, I didn't think the poor guy would be too fond of me telling the agent I'd plan on bowling the house over and scraping the block back.

Much rather deal with the owner. Much more comfortable than dealing with an overpaid gloryfied agent.Sorry "door opener"
Cut through all the hype.
Can save myself and the owner a substatial amount of money by not having to pay the horrendous selling fees..
I can look the owner in the eye when i make an offer and judge his real reaction. This is the most important point.
My closing skills are far superior to 99% of realestate door openers out there.
I have run into very few door openers that can close a sale. I have heard of many that have lost sales. They simply have not had the training.
I don't have to pay for the maybe $10000 spent on advertising the property and the agent ugly face
The owner would have obtained the same result by going though investor mentor at a fraction of the cost or selling though Gumtree for nothing.
If all properties were sold with a one line add in the paper then the same number of properties would be sold at the same average price.
Selling real estate is not rocket science

My closing skills are far superior to 99% of realestate door openers out there.
I have run into very few door openers that can close a sale. I have heard of many that have lost sales. They simply have not had the training.
I don't have to pay for the maybe $10000 spent on advertising the property and the agent ugly face.

Tilt, you should be an agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for approaching owners directly, this can certainly be advantageous and "interesting" when they're home at inspections. One of my all-time favourites was a house where the homeowner (with the 3rd agency listing it, after not selling for some 9 mths) was on hand to greet me, shooing the agent unceremoniously out of the way and giving me the "grand tour". Trust me when I tell you it wasn't helpful :D and the agent was most apologetic after, explaining that she did this with all inspections. Sadly, her tastes in decorating/renovating were certainly not in tune with the majority of the likely buying demographic for the area, and when she told me (at the end of the tour) in no uncertain terms that she wasn't settling for anything less than $xxx I realised then that she was probably doomed never to sell. Needless to say, the house was taken off the market some 3 mths later after failing to sell. Some owners just need a reality check and a strong counselling session really :)

It's never bothered me if owners or tenants are home- I always like to have a chat and obtain as much info as possible. It can be tricky, however, if they're asleep in bed, using the bathroom or (as in one case) lighting up some illegal smelling substance on the lounge and raving to themselves quite ominously...... !!

Only ever used an agent to buy 2 properties. They are a pain in the **** and are a hassle to deal with . When you ask them questions that you already know the answer to the answers will not always be correct. I have bought more privately. Just sold one to-day privately. Easier to deal directly with the buyer, just stood firm on the mimium price I would accept, he tried to undercut a little, I just said I will only consider offers over XXX . Better than dragging things out backwards and forwards and the BS of an agent.

If there are any problems with the property then the owner would be less likely to want to be there. If you look the owner in the eye and ask if there are any problems, it's harder for them to lie to you.

If the stumps are shot then I reckon they would rather leave the lying up to the agent, they are far better at it. :)

Back