Villa 'refresh'

To all the experienced people out there,

Does this quote look right for a 75m2 2,1 high ceiling villa

Im doing the ring around tomorrow but just want SS input

Painting full repaint throughout, including robe doors, general doors
Allowance of $1700 ? 2200

Window treatments 3 x Blind and 1 x curtain to entry door

Allowance of $1200 - 1500

Bathroom New vanity, mirror unit, towel rails and shower taps, retile vanity wall

Allowance of $1000 supply and $600 install

Carpet Bed 2 New carpet

Allowance $800 - 1200 supply & install

TOTAL Allow $5300 ? 6500

The one that looks odd is the price of carpeting of 1 bedroom

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

I think you could probably get all of these jobs done cheaper. Is the villa in a capital city and are you able to do any of the work yourself?

Painting - get someone local who can do the job quickly. Try the local paper and gumtree. Check out my blog post for more tips on hiring a painter -

http://renovatingmadeeasy.com.au/2014/01/31/4-steps-for-a-hassle-free-paint-job/

Window treatments - Spotlight have a great variety of cheap DIY blinds if you can possibly install them yourself. Or hire a local handyman to do the job.

Bathroom - Bunnings have inexpensive towel rails and taps which look good. Try Bunnings or gumtree for the vanity and a local tradesman for the installation.

Carpet - get a few more quotes.

Hope this helps.

Sorry thought I should elaborate,

I am in syd and the property is in brissie

I got these quotes from an interior designer who I am using to get an idea of what to use for this place as I have no idea on style

John.

That's why it's so expensive. You are payig someone else to organise it for you.
Are they going to project manage it for you?

I carpet 3 bedrooms for $1000.
As mentioned bathroom fittings is too much. I'm assuming the $600 is the tiling (tilers are expnsive). You still need to install fittings and vanity (extra I'm guessing).
Curtains too expensive too.

You can save a few thousand by organising trades yourself. How good is your RE agent? Will they let tradies in etc?
Or it might be worth a quick trip.

Hi John,

Those figures look quite a bit under what I would suggest you allow. Sure you 'could' get some of these items cheaper but I would really advise being more realistic given that you are renovating from afar. Just ask Tonibell - http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94336

On top of supply and installation costs, you will also need to allow for delivery/demo/disposal if you won't be in Brisbane to pick up and deliver/remove items yourself. The small costs do add up! Plus you should include a small contingency - because everyone knows reno's never go exactly as you've planned ;-)

At a real guess, I think you'd be looking at $4000 for internal repaint if not more. $2500-$3000 minimum for bathroom incl vanity/mirror cabinet (shaving cabinet?)/taps/tiling bathroom wall. Carpet; I normally allow $600-$800 per room including prep of floor/underlay/removal of existing etc.

Renovating for profit doesn't mean scrimping on product or tradie quality, it just simply means minimising the amount of work you do to the property without compromising on the overall end effect.

Hope this is helpful John. Good luck - Despite my seemingly negative reply here (I prefer to view as realistic!), I hope you DO find suppliers/tradies to do your reno within your costs estimates!

To all the experienced people out there,

Does this quote look right for a 75m2 2,1 high ceiling villa

Im doing the ring around tomorrow but just want SS input

Painting full repaint throughout, including robe doors, general doors
Allowance of $1700 ? 2200

Window treatments 3 x Blind and 1 x curtain to entry door

Allowance of $1200 - 1500

Bathroom New vanity, mirror unit, towel rails and shower taps, retile vanity wall

Allowance of $1000 supply and $600 install

Carpet Bed 2 New carpet

Allowance $800 - 1200 supply & install

TOTAL Allow $5300 ? 6500

The one that looks odd is the price of carpeting of 1 bedroom

Cheers,

John.

John, the painting would be above 4k,the bathroom with the trade costs alone would be above 3k,as there would be several trades "if" the bathroom has to be replumed,and rewired,and retiled,the carpet price may be inline,good luck..imho..

Thanks janglesey and willair,

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the cost :) (not being scarcastic either)

Also the place is a single level 75m2 place

John.

Back