Vinly Cladding or Blue Board with Render

Hi All,

purely for investment/rental.

for granny flat which would be best option. good quality vinyl cladding or blue board with arcylic render.

if the costing is almost same for both options with a builder, which would be better choice??

also the approval is done via private certifier and it just says cladding...do I need to clarify/seek approval from private certifier to go blue board?

Regards,

somerhut

Several builders i spoke to were not fans of blueboard with render due to movement cracking.

Have you considered hebel and render on top of that intead?

Dont do render on blueboard, it only looks good in first few months, later it cracks and looks terrible when sun hits it from side. Once it cracks you cant fix the crack, you have to render the whole wall again.

These days you can find some very nice cladding boards from James Hardie or Scyon catalog, dont go vanyl.

I agree with Veseli, although the acyclic tender will take a fair bit of cracks and movement, over time it will open up.
Go cladding, ether are heaps out there now and they don't need maintenance. No sits outside to admire the grammy flat walls so aesthetically cladding well be fine. Check out csr they have a huge range now. And

One more for the render cracking, go with ship lap cladding or similar.

Anything rendered will crack or flake over time.
Most people go Vinyl-Clad because.

1. Its cheap
2. Its well insulated
3. Its pre-painted to your chosen colour
4. It guaranteed to not need painting for 25 years

It juts makes sense for investors.

Brick is good of course, except with Sydney's 60 sq m floor area limit, you lose 5.8 sq m when going brick over cladding. That's a loss of over 10% space.

Brazen.

Anything rendered will crack or flake over time.
Most people go Vinyl-Clad because.

1. Its cheap
2. Its well insulated
3. Its pre-painted to your chosen colour
4. It guaranteed to not need painting for 25 years

It juts makes sense for investors.

Brick is good of course, except with Sydney's 60 sq m floor area limit, you lose 5.8 sq m when going brick over cladding. That's a loss of over 10% space.

Brazen.

I dont understand how construction type would affect the total livable floor area - surely the 60sqm limit is for livable space so if its brick construction it would just be a little bigger on the outside to still allow for 60sqm inside right?

I dont understand how construction type would affect the total livable floor area - surely the 60sqm limit is for livable space so if its brick construction it would just be a little bigger on the outside to still allow for 60sqm inside right?

Unfortunately the SEPP defines floor area as measured from the outer walls :(

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+572+2008+cd+0+N
floor area, for a dwelling house referred to in Part 3, 3A or 4, means the sum of the areas of each storey of the dwelling house and any carport, garage, balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah, measured at a height of 1.4m above each floor level, that is within the outer face of:

(a) the external walls of the dwelling house,

My Certifier did make the argument recently that a granny flat is not a "dwelling house" but a 'self-contained dwelling" as defined in the SEPP, which meant we could revert to the BCA definition of 'floor area' which measures from the inner walls.

We did this for a while (say 20 jobs?) but then Local Councils starting complaining about it, threatening to bring in the Building Professionals Board etc. so he (we) relented. i.e. Not worth the drama.

Brazen

Wow that doesn't sound smart of the council, i wonder what benefit there is in defining livable area as measured from the outer walls...

Unfortunately the SEPP defines floor area as measured from the outer walls :(

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+572+2008+cd+0+N
floor area, for a dwelling house referred to in Part 3, 3A or 4, means the sum of the areas of each storey of the dwelling house and any carport, garage, balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah, measured at a height of 1.4m above each floor level, that is within the outer face of:

(a) the external walls of the dwelling house,

My Certifier did make the argument recently that a granny flat is not a "dwelling house" but a 'self-contained dwelling" as defined in the SEPP, which meant we could revert to the BCA definition of 'floor area' which measures from the inner walls.

We did this for a while (say 20 jobs?) but then Local Councils starting complaining about it, threatening to bring in the Building Professionals Board etc. so he (we) relented. i.e. Not worth the drama.

Brazen
How much difference is there between internal wall measurements and external wall measurements?
What do the larger builders measure by?
Do they sell you a house by the outside measurements and then pay the trades on the internal measurements??
I am very Interested in the percentage difference?

How much difference is there between internal wall measurements and external wall measurements?
What do the larger builders measure by?
Do they sell you a house by the outside measurements and then pay the trades on the internal measurements??
I am very Interested in the percentage difference?

Well, ok the major players measure from the outer walls.

The difference is around 10% of the entire floor area for a 60 sq m granny flat if it's brick-veneer and about 5% for clad. You lose it only in the building's outer walls.

Well, ok the major players measure from the outer walls.

The difference is around 10% of the entire floor area for a 60 sq m granny flat if it's brick-veneer and about 5% for clad. You lose it only in the building's outer walls.

so,
57m2 for cladding
54m2 for brick
the difference of 3m2 is like a en-suite bathroom :eek:

Back