Vote Compass

LNP 59%
ALP 54%
GRN 49%

All pretty close. Apparently I'm a political wh*re.

I'm surprised. I always thought my views aligned more closely with the ALP than LNP. Apparently I'm a Liberal. My husband may divorce me.

Weighted
LNP 59
ALP 42
GRN 31

Unweighted

Things like gay marriage and broadband would have thrown mine out a bit. Also university funding and maternity leave - but I think given the way the questions were asked the results would be very different if asked in a more definitive way (ie I don't believe all working mothers should be same mat leave - should be based on a tax rebate capped at a set amount)

65% LNP
47% ALP (I thought it would have been in the 20s)
32% Greens (I thought this would have been in the negatives)

GO LIBERALS and somewhat the NATIONAL PARTY.

i know, right?

compassion for other human beings must be a fad, or something.
It's just that no-one I ever speak to has anything good to say about them.

Usually it's that they are a bunch of idiots. :confused:

Saw a similar thing in the USA between 05 and 08 - George Bush was the President, elected for a second term, and yet NO-ONE said anything good about him.

It's just that no-one I ever speak to has anything good to say about them.

Usually it's that they are a bunch of idiots. :confused:

Saw a similar thing in the USA between 05 and 08 - George Bush was the President, elected for a second term, and yet NO-ONE said anything good about him.

i think you will find that many people's core beliefs align with the policies of the greens.

it's just the greens drive their boat with blinkers on, to the detriment of everything else around them / in their way. that's what makes them unpallatable as a party.

i think you will find that many people's core beliefs align with the policies of the greens.

it's just the greens drive their boat with blinkers on, to the detriment of everything else around them / in their way. that's what makes them unpallatable as a party.

Pretty much agree with that.

And if you don't know anyone that agrees with at least some of their policies, then you must have a very narrow social circle.

it's just the greens drive their boat with blinkers on, to the detriment of everything else around them / in their way. that's what makes them unpalatable as a party.

Speaking of Greens I heard Antony Green on the radio yesterday explaining their Vote Compass questions.
The site only looks for answers to questions where there is a distinct difference between the policies of the parties and they had to put on extra server capacity to cope with the demand.
I can't see the point of it myself. What's the motive for the site? Entertainment? Engagement? Advertising?

Well if you're a minor party, you sort of have to do it that way otherwise your existence is pointless. They are not going to get the numbers to form government for a very long time, if ever (maybe when half of Australia is under water), so they need to stick to their views - that's why people elected them and that's the only way they can influence anything.

If they compromise on every single issue then you might as well just have the Labor Party because the differences will be minimal. I actually think that one of their biggest weaknesses is that they compromise too much in a bid to tone down their perceived "extreme" image - most of their voters want a real alternative and sitting on the fence diplomatically doesn't really provide that.

The Greens ARE extreme Left. The graph shows that - there isn't any pretending there. Problem with these people is most of them are straight from university, have never run a business before, and think that Big Government is the answer to all the world's ills.

My results are:
LNP 68%
ALP 42%
Greens 11%

The points on that graph are relative to the current major party offerings in Australia - it is not an objective assessment of where their policies would stand on the broader political spectrum.

In that sense, the Greens would be very slightly left of centre with the Labor Party close to the centre right and Liberals a bit further out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-left_politics

The Greens ARE extreme Left. The graph shows that - there isn't any pretending there. Problem with these people is most of them are straight from university, have never run a business before, and think that Big Government is the answer to all the world's ills.

My results are:
LNP 68%
ALP 42%
Greens 11%

No arguments here.

My only areas of support are on social issues that have little to no economic impact, which are matters of personal choice (gay marriage, euthanasia etc). Economically their policies are idealistic and unworkable.

Back