"Vulture Lawyers" and "crazy" legal claims.

Should litigation lending be outlawed?

• Yes-stop the ratbag claimants in their tracks

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No- let's help out these hedge funds and lawyers in making a quid in these tough times

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Depends on what litigation the funds are used for

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I don't know or care and I'm not going to read the link to that trashy Murdoch rag The Australian

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
BS.
A person got tasered to death carrying a pack of biscuits.
Untrained noobs or plain idiots.

BS.

No-one died from "carrying" a packet of biscuits.

The man violently jumped a security barricade and started screaming at normal workers going about their lawful business.

He was running around screaming and carrying on like a banshee with no shirt on and the Police were called to attend, like any other normal scenario.

The difference in this case is the guy wouldn't calm down, wouldn't accept being arrested by Police and carried on like a pork chop.

He then assaulted Police, ran off, and the Police resorted to tasering him to apprehend him (as opposed to more forceful options). The Tasering didn't work. He kept on running.

Then he ran into a store and for some unknown reason picked up a packet of biscuits and ran out again. Don't go looking for logic....there is none.

Police tried to apprehend him again, tasered him again, with no effect again, and he struggled away and ran off yet again.

Finally they caught up to him a third time (good on them for chasing him down I say rather than giving up) and finally they managed to arrest him. I bet they are thinking PCP, high on something, as the non-reaction of Tasering is not normal. They are checking his corpse for toxicology.

Hmmm, you make it out as if he was simply strolling down the sidewalk whistling his favourite tune with a packet of biscuits and he simply dropped dead from Police having some vindictive bent.

He had about 15 opportunities to simply stop, drop to the ground and put his hands behind his back. He chose to fight / resist / run away / fight / resist / push / stumble / fight / jump / resist / run / smash through etc etc etc.

This is exactly the same as car chases. I've never ever seen one person killed nor even slightly injured in a car incident, when the Police have flashed their lights and indicated to the driver to pull over, and the driver has calmly indicated left and pulled over as ordered. Not a one, never.

If you choose to ignore their order and make a run for it, well, you're the silly donkey. Plenty of idiots choose that, and plenty die, and most get badly injured.

You make out as if he didn't have a choice. He had dozens of chances and chose unwisely every time. Oh well. That's one of the classic hallmarks of losers in our society. Bad choices compounded and compounded until all that is left to them is a choice between jail and death.

I cannot imagine anyone who complies with the police being tasered.

Exactly right.

Police have got numerous levels of interaction with suspects....the first of which is their mouth - i.e. talking / instructing / ordering.

It's only when that fails, and the donkey decides to act like a pork chop that they need to go to the next level.

Arms and legs.

If the donkey chooses to go even further, they then have their baton and spray.

Once again the donkey making bad choices is given a further chance to comply.

If they choose unwisely, they then resort to Tasering, which until a few years ago wasn't available as a separate level of reaction. Not action - reaction to the donkey's behaviour and non-compliance.

If the donkey once again chooses unwisely, then the Police resort to their sidearm.

The donkey needs to be a complete and utter tosser to want to go to this level.

Unfortunately, with all of the attitude games, attitude music and bravado displayed, the donkeys quite enjoy going straight to the top level....it's alot cooler in front of their peers.

Lovely for all the keyboard heart bleeders to sit there calmly behind a protective screen, with hours and hours to reflect, with no negative consequences ever felt.

Out in the real world, with spit / blood / screaming / smashing / instantaneous massive damage / phlegm / needles / **** / guns / knives all happening at break neck speed.....the Police don't have the luxury of your pontificated considered learned left wing ideals.

The Police are humans, they are highly trained, but they do make mistakes, as we all do.

Unfortunately, they were downgraded a few years ago from a Police Force to a Police Service. That was a tragedy !!

Exactly right.

Police have got numerous levels of interaction with suspects....the first of which is their mouth - i.e. talking / instructing / ordering.

It's only when that fails, and the donkey decides to act like a pork chop that they need to go to the next level.

Arms and legs.

If the donkey chooses to go even further, they then have their baton and spray.

Once again the donkey making bad choices is given a further chance to comply.

If they choose unwisely, they then resort to Tasering, which until a few years ago wasn't available as a separate level of reaction. Not action - reaction to the donkey's behaviour and non-compliance.

If the donkey once again chooses unwisely, then the Police resort to their sidearm.

The donkey needs to be a complete and utter tosser to want to go to this level.

Unfortunately, with all of the attitude games, attitude music and bravado displayed, the donkeys quite enjoy going straight to the top level....it's alot cooler in front of their peers.

Lovely for all the keyboard heart bleeders to sit there calmly behind a protective screen, with hours and hours to reflect, with no negative consequences ever felt.

Out in the real world, with spit / blood / screaming / smashing / instantaneous massive damage / phlegm / needles / **** / guns / knives all happening at break neck speed.....the Police don't have the luxury of your pontificated considered learned left wing ideals.

The Police are humans, they are highly trained, but they do make mistakes, as we all do.

Unfortunately, they were downgraded a few years ago from a Police Force to a Police Service. That was a tragedy !!

And them mistakes sometimes include going over the top in their actions causing physical harm etc just like other citizens can do... and we know them bloody other citizens do it all the time, there's posts about them all over internet forums ;)

There have been numerous examples where individual police officers have acted illegally and assaulted people etc where it was not necessary and they had other options...

Surely we should not turn a blind eye to people breaking the law ?

There have been numerous examples where individual police officers have acted illegally and assaulted people

...as opposed to the literally millions of interactions between every Police Officer and the public...

Good onya jaycee, you concentrate on the 'numerous examples' and ignore the millions and millions. That's real sensible.

...as opposed to the literally millions of interactions between every Police Officer and the public...

Good onya jaycee, you concentrate on the 'numerous examples' and ignore the millions and millions. That's real sensible.

Oh, so now we're throwing ***** at those on the other side of the discussion

good to see the debate move up the chain toward ss the type s of behaviour like respect etc that have been suggested as what is needed to reduce the problems we're seeing

I was just saying stuff that I thought was on topic, if you want to belittle it and make it sound like something else which is ridiculous, go for it, but it certainly won't make me at least see your point clearer.

there's a term that lawyers use that bugs me no end... "commence proceedings".

possible respones:
"oh, when will you start to commence to proceed. or are you just thinking about it for now"?

"by mentioning it haven't you commenced?"

or more fun, "shove it you sydney suit, my lawyers are smarter than you ya ponce"

Years ago in USA there was the Rodney King incident.(1991)
This was videoed and shown on TV all the time.
The man was pulled over for speeding. Mr King was worried his probation for robbery would be revolked. He was removed from the car and put to the ground and told to stay there. He refused over and over again, and tried to get up. The police officers beat him into compliance. They also thought he was on PCP, because a "normal" man would have stayed down.
The officers were acquitted. ( he eventually did win a 3.8 mil court case)
After that the LA Riots started. More than 50 people dead.

If this man had complied, first with the speed limit, then with the police orders, none of this would have taken place.

He has since been in trouble with the law.

The man was pulled over for speeding. Mr King was worried his probation for robbery would be revolked. He was removed from the car and put to the ground and told to stay there. He refused over and over again, and tried to get up. The police officers beat him into compliance.

Compliance?

I think the word you were looking for is 'coma'.

My money on the taser incident is that it will be yet another example of why a sole reliance on community treatment of the mentally ill yields unacceptable results for a good proportion of them, the police and the community.

We obviously can't expect an average copper to be able to manage someone's escalating psychotic episode out in the community - the public record is just full of examples like this where it all goes wrong in a big way. I'm only amazed it doesn't happen more often now there are no "asylums". A testament to the effectiveness of anti-psychotic drugs I guess - when they are taken...

My money on the taser incident is that it will be yet another example of why a sole reliance on community treatment of the mentally ill yields unacceptable results for a good proportion of them, the police and the community.

We obviously can't expect an average copper to be able to manage someone's escalating psychotic episode out in the community - the public record is just full of examples like this where it all goes wrong in a big way. I'm only amazed it doesn't happen more often now there are no "asylums". A testament to the effectiveness of anti-psychotic drugs I guess - when they are taken...

Couldn't agree more. Kudos.

there's a term that lawyers use that bugs me no end... "commence proceedings".

possible respones:
"oh, when will you start to commence to proceed. or are you just thinking about it for now"?

"by mentioning it haven't you commenced?"

or more fun, "shove it you sydney suit, my lawyers are smarter than you ya ponce"

You mean commence payment!

I know enough police officers to know what job entails, and it isn't easy.
But that don't mean we are all Texas red necks.

And just because they have a uniform does not mean they can order people around as they wish.
Remember the person that got beaten up because he was using his mobile phone camera?
Well it is not illegal to film, yet the dumb noob officer who was supposed to know the law, didn't.

And those those that got arrested for not carrying ID when there is no law that says you have to carry ID?
Nowadays they are not highly trained at all.
In the olden days 6 cops would've put him on his butt quick smart.
There is a reason we have laws, and they must obey them too.
All these episodes do is increase criminal activity and decrease respect for police as they rally around their corrupt and incapable.

At a recent seminar I have discovered that if someone wishes to go after your wealth they go after your 'equity'.
So the option for us is either to be possibly sued someday....or to structure all affairs so incase of litigation there's no equity worth going after.
So the end choice is lawers either for pursuit or be pursued by...
So we better see those accountants and pay them for the appropriate structures to have in place.
It seems it's the world we live in now.....
By the way now I am understanding why most of my children's friends want to become lawyers/barristors. Australia is changing in its workforce towards service industry so I suppose people pursue professions where future jobs will be.
Interesting times ahead.

By the way now I am understanding why most of my children's friends want to become lawyers/barristors...

Young people have always aspired (or, usually, been pressured by their parents) to get into law/medicine/pharmacy/dentistry. No different today than 30 years ago. It's just that these days there are more places for these courses...and being a lawyer is never a sure thing. First year graduates get paid like $60,000 at a top law firm and even after 7 years you probably only earn $100,000 while working long, boring hours each week. Which is why when I was in law school we were told that some significant proportion of law students don't even become lawyers.

What about litigation funding where the director of a company has possibly allowed the company to trade while insolvent. The liquidator wants to 'commence proceedings' but there is no money left in the company. The creditors have the option of chipping in more money to fund this, but they all refuse (throwing good money after bad!!).

Should the liquidator seek litigation funding? creditors have nothing to lose. Director has a lot to lose though.

Your kids have fallen in with a bad crowd. Act quickly before all is lost!

Ha, ha, ha! I wouldn't say that most of them seem quite nice....
But as Aaron mentioned most of the parents are in the same profession so I presume they are influenced.
It's a pity none of our kids wish to follow in our footsteps (geology and IT) but time will only tell. Perhaps they will continue to invest into IPs, ha, ha!

Back