Want to buy or sell on eBay? PayPal only thanks

Could somebody tell me how you pronounce Oztion??

It is a funny name and I just don't like the sound of it as it doesn't seem to mean anything.

I have been saying it in my head as Oztin ... is there some clever meaning in it that I don't know????

By the way, here's a handly list of Auction sites;

2bid www.2bid.com.au
Auction - Oztion www.oztion.com.au
auction-australia www.auction-australia.com
auctiontrader (BID BUY) https://www.auctiontrader.com.au
ausauction www.ausauction.com
ausbay www.ausbay.com.au
ausbidder www.ausbidder.com
AussieBids aussiebid.com.au/membersarea.php
AussieCommunity www.aussiecommunity.com.au/auction
Bargains Bay www.bargainsbay.com/clas...member_login.php
bid-mania www.bid-mania.com/user_menu.php
bidsell bidsell.com.au
Big Deals www.bigdeals.com.au/login.php
Classifieds www.classifieds.com.au/c.../classifieds.cgi
crazyauctions auction.crazyauctions.com.au
Directory Australia www.directoryaustralia.com
Dola www.dola.com.au
Emmx www.emmx.com/auction/user_menu.php
eroo www.eroo.com.au
Grays www.graysonline.com.au
iOz www.iOZ.com.au
Layby https://layby.com/MyDetails.aspx
letmebid letmebid.com.au
Monkey www.monkey.com.au
One Way www.oneway-au.com
ozfreeonline.com/auctions www.ozfreeonline.com/auctions/user_menu.php
ozfreeonline.com/classifieds www.ozfreeonline.com/classifieds
Oztion www.oztion.com.au
Totally Free Ads totallyfreeads.com.au/sign_in.html
Trademe NZ www.trademe.co.nz
ustudents www.ustudents.com.au//post_ad.ph

Ebay sucks!

To list an item it costs about $2, then they charge you final selling fee % when the item is sold based on the final price%. Then when you receive payment vis paypal, they take another %.

The listing fee, final price fee, and paypal fee erodes most profits from sale.

Is oztion the only site now or are there any other good sites too?

Both of your problems solved. I think some people just like to complain. I cant see anyone with a gun to their head being told to use paypal and/or ebay.

Also, i don't understand the complaining about fees. Are ebay & paypal supposed to supply their services for free. If you sell stuff and use a merchant facility (VIsa, Amex etc) you pay a fee.

Ebay is the big one. If Ebay make paypal compulsory, then yes, they are in some ways holding the gun to the head of those who sell via ebay (ie. use paypal or leave).

If payment is via direct deposit (like most of my customers do), then it cost ebay nothing. But they don't make extra money either. Not that they need to - Ebay are very well :eek: rewarded for their listings, without forcing people to use (and pay) their merchant facilities as well.

By the way, here's a handly list of Auction sites;

2bid www.2bid.com.au
auction-australia www.auction-australia.com
auctiontrader (BID BUY) https://www.auctiontrader.com.au
ausauction www.ausauction.com
ausbay www.ausbay.com.au
ausbidder www.ausbidder.com
AussieBids aussiebid.com.au/membersarea.php
AussieCommunity www.aussiecommunity.com.au/auction
Bargains Bay www.bargainsbay.com/clas...member_login.php
bid-mania www.bid-mania.com/user_menu.php
bidsell bidsell.com.au
Big Deals www.bigdeals.com.au/login.php
Classifieds www.classifieds.com.au/c.../classifieds.cgi
crazyauctions auction.crazyauctions.com.au
Directory Australia www.directoryaustralia.com
Dola www.dola.com.au
Emmx www.emmx.com/auction/user_menu.php
eroo www.eroo.com.au
Grays www.graysonline.com.au
iOz www.iOZ.com.au
Layby https://layby.com/MyDetails.aspx
letmebid letmebid.com.au
Monkey www.monkey.com.au
One Way www.oneway-au.com
ozfreeonline.com/auctions www.ozfreeonline.com/auctions/user_menu.php
ozfreeonline.com/classifieds www.ozfreeonline.com/classifieds
Oztion www.oztion.com.au
Totally Free Ads totallyfreeads.com.au/sign_in.html
Trademe NZ www.trademe.co.nz
ustudents www.ustudents.com.au//post_ad.ph

Which one is good if u wanna sell things? I saw Oztion doesn't have many people bidding.

The more who join and start bidding the better the site will become.

So may I suggest we all bid on something we need/want and get the ball rolling.

It's time Australia stuck it to those yanks and sent a clear message we have had enough! :eek:

I joined ebay USA probably about 8 years ago. Aus ebay was up and running but was so poorly used, it was embarrassing, so I didnt bother. When I checked it out again a few years later, its growth had exploded. It was great for a while until it became full of scammers and shonky overseas sellers. Ebay hasn't got competition at this stage and for that reason it can screw its sellers till the cows come home.

However, I think ebay has shot itself in the foot with this latest stunt. Not only is it going to be more costly for the sellers but its going to upset the BUYERS. Paypal is not acceptable to a lot of buyers as they dont want to hand over their credit card details or link their bank account to paypal. Direct Deposit was great. Easy, safe, fast. Ebay will lose a lot of business from their 'bread and butter' buyers.

I joined OZTION when the membership was only about 50k, not that long ago. The fees for sellers are a fraction of ebay's. If the sellers go there, eventually the buyers will find them. A mass exodis from ebay will make the juggernaut rethink its business plan. Hopefully by then, it will be too late and the masses will be suporting AN AUSTRALIAN auction site.

The more who join and start bidding the better the site will become.

So may I suggest we all bid on something we need/want and get the ball rolling.

It's time Australia stuck it to those yanks and sent a clear message we have had enough! :eek:

agree I have used ebay for yrs and sell consumer electronics mainly

fees on these are huge if running as auction even if you don't sell on ebay

my ebay fess were around $2000 as opposed to $49 on oztion selling the same amount of stuff I still use ebay as most buyers are more comfortable with ebay and some have never heard of oztion as for oztion only problem we have had is with overseas scammers we have also sold to overseas but it's not worth our time so we now do not deal with anyone outside of australia.

oztion has a good lot of buyers we sold 10 of our projectors in a few days in the xmas period.

also the online shop is only $9.95 as opposed to ebay basic store starting at $14.95 I think we have fed ebay owner and her drones for long enough

time to keep the money in Australia!

also an added advantage oztion stores show up in google very quickly on 1st page

Eg: our main product is projectors and we show up under brand new projector at number 1

this is not what happens with ebay listings as there is so much competition from sellers outside of oz with similar products.

Another site I had a look at a while ago was Bidz (I think). There seemed to be a lot of jewellery and if somebody made a higher bid within ten seconds of the auction end, it kept going. It was much more like a real time auction, where the prices keep going up until everybody is out. I might have another look at that too, though I did like being able to snipe on ebay.

Just be careful about quality - I brought some jewellery awhile ago from there & just like real estate - pictures can be deceiving. Other friends have also purchased from bidz and had mixed results with quality.

Cheers
Stella

Could somebody tell me how you pronounce Oztion??

It is a funny name and I just don't like the sound of it as it doesn't seem to mean anything.

I have been saying it in my head as Oztin ... is there some clever meaning in it that I don't know????

No, there is no clever meaning.

If you have a basic grasp of the English language you'd probably pronounce it the way it is spelt.

When we have the letters "tion" together, it is often pronounced as "shan" or "shun".

Well, I am voting with my feet. I joined Oztion yesterday and bought my first item (flea control for my dog) for less than the cheapest I could get it on ebay.

I also listed two art pieces, but so far nobody has even looked at them. My pieces are a very niche item and with ebay I had some interest from the US (but also within Australia) and it is not unusual that they don't sell during the first listing because unlike something like enjo, where the listings are grabbed up quickly, art work is much less likely to be sold like this.

The best thing is that it cost NOTHING to list with three photos and as much information as I wanted to put in. If it doesn't sell, they will charge me 2 cents to relist, so what can I lose?

I have had fair success on ebay, so will see how I go with Oztion.

It was stated in the free Brisbane city newspaper the other day that listing something with ebay for $20 which eventually sells for $100 would have cost about $6.50 and now with the forced use of Paypal, cost will go to about $9.60. So they are certainly going to force sellers who are like me, just sell and buy intermittently, to look elsewhere. It sounds like more regular sellers will be much worse off as well.

Have a look at Oztion everybody. If ebay was shambolic when it first started, then Oztion can grow strong too, if given the chance.

I have bought on Ebay, never sold.

A friend sells a lot, and found that when she sold a book for $1-$2, postage may be around $9. If she accepted paypal, they took commission on the whole amount, which sometimes meant she made as little as 50c (or less!)from a sale, not worth the effort. She now refuses to accept paypal on lower priced items.

Maybe Ebay wants to get rid of the little stuff - same paperwork for them but probably not cost effective.
Marg

I know of a couple who became millionaires selling exercise equipment on ebay they imported themselves from China. Now they are doing ebay seminars, selling info products etc.....they are kicking goal after goal.

Last year they bought a big unit 2/3 up the Q1 building in Surfers.

They apparently have no trouble with the ebay/paypal changes and actually see benefits with them.

This is what successful people do. When the landscape changes, you chart a new map. Failing that, complain. It makes you feel better but it wont get you anywhere.

When selling on ebay you actually pay for access to the large numbers of qualified buyers that visit. In that sense it is unbelievable value. Where else can you access so many qualified buyers for so little?

With paypal you pay for the security and protection.

Increased PayPal Buyer Protection - up to AU$20,000

For eligible items purchased on or after 17 June 2008,
PayPal Buyer Protection will increase to a maximum
of $20,000 (based on the full value of your purchase,
including postage).

* New PayPal Seller Protection

PayPal Seller Protection has also recently been
introduced to provide sellers with an unprecedented
level of protection in the unlikely event of a claim
or chargeback arising from an item not received buyer
dispute or an unauthorised payment (eg from a stolen
credit card).

No, there is no clever meaning.

If you have a basic grasp of the English language you'd probably pronounce it the way it is spelt.

When we have the letters "tion" together, it is often pronounced as "shan" or "shun".

Thanks John I do see now and I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of the English Language and I didn't look at the word and see OzShun (like Auction) but I suppose if it gets bigger and bigger everyone will know how to pronounce it straight off.

This is what successful people do. When the landscape changes, you chart a new map. Failing that, complain. It makes you feel better but it wont get you anywhere.

Yep, I'll be charting a new map. ie. trying out oztion as well! A short amount of complaining doesn't hurt :rolleyes: as long as you soon get over it :D

With paypal, it seems to be more that the seller pays for the buyers security (though many buyers don't want it anyway....)!

Maybe Ebay wants to get rid of the little stuff - same paperwork for them but probably not cost effective.

There is no paperwork for ebay - it is all automated and electronic - so I don't see how that could be the reason! Perhaps they are hoping to have to deal with less disputes about payment.

I can see how accepting paypal only could save high turnover sellers some hassle in matching direct deposits to customers etc (which does take some time), but they have the option to accept only paypal already.

It is the double dipping that I object to. The ebay fees AND the paypal fees all go into the same pocket. Ebay owns paypal as far as I am aware. Anyway, if payment is made and isn't received, it is really left mostly to the buyer and seller to sort out. With nearly 500 transactions, I have only ever had one or two problems, and all sorted out.

For me selling my art, which is not regular by any means, it doesn't really make much difference. I will just ask a little more.

At the same time, I will hedge my bets and list everything with Oztion while still buying from ebay if I want something and the price is right. It is the seller who pays the fees.

I posted to the forum board (which I have hardly ever looked at) and my post mentioned Oztion and was thrown off and I got an email telling me I am a bad girl. On the Oztion forum plenty of others have been sent "bad girl/boy" emails AND been banned for up to three months, or permanently it seems.

Anyway, it is only a small sideline for me, but people who sell for a living will be hurting in the hip pocket. It will just drive up prices as sellers ask more to cover their costs.

I just don't understand why ebay is doing this. Maybe they are big enough to not really care about losing some customers. Anyway, on with life.....

Hi Evand,

Do you know the eBay username of those guys who made millions importing exercise equipment? And where were they based?
Sounds too good to be true.

Thanks

Spider.

Back