Want to sell IP - how to handle current tenants??

I have an IP (previously our PPOR) that I would like to sell but the current tenants are on a 12 month fixed term lease due to expire in late April 2010. For various reasons listing the property by early January is preferable. We are considering approaching the tenants with the news as follows:

1. Explain gently (in writing and via PM contact) that we intend selling the property as we wish to buy a PPOR where we now live interstate. The tenants are aware that this was our PPOR and only became an IP when we were moved interstate for hubby's work...so all very plausible (although not the real reason for selling).

2. Explain that we wanted to give them plenty of notice before school goes back, as having children ourselves we realise that the need for them to move will possibly have implications with schooling etc.. Offer in the circumstances that we are willing to waive any break fees should the tenants wish to move out early at a time that suits them better. If not we are obviously committed to them remaining in the property for the duration of their lease (which I realise we are obligated to honour regardless). Obviously our hope is that the tenants will choose to move out sooner rather than later.

3. Also include in our letter that should they wish to make an offer to purchase the property that they have the option to do so for the next 2 weeks, following which the property will commence being advertised for sale.

Essentially we don't expect the tenants to have any interest in purchasing the property (but you never know) and we are hoping that they choose to leave early (Jan school holidays would be brilliant). Our tenants are good payers but VERY demanding. We don't want them to think that they can seek 'compensation' to move out early. eg. we will move early if you pay our moving costs etc... If they don't move out we will simply work around it. The selling agent and PM will be the same agency, so there is an established relationship with the tenants. Any thoughts or suggestions on these circumstances?

Thanks
Angela :)

Check out thoroughly the laws regarding tenants and their rights when their home is up for sale. Yes, while they have a lease it is legally "their home".
Marg

Check out thoroughly the laws regarding tenants and their rights when their home is up for sale. Yes, while they have a lease it is legally "their home".
Marg

I have been looking into this and as tenants ourselves I know I wouldn't want to be living in a house that is for sale. I like my 'privacy and quiet enjoyment' too much.

We aren't selling to buy elsewhere, we are selling for financial reasons and are endeavouring to consider our tenants needs (and rights) in the circumstances. Hopefully our tenants will be willing to consider requests for Open Homes and the like if we are reasonable in return, hence the desire to advise them well in advance that we intend selling and in any event won't be renewing the lease in April. If it was me, I would prefer to know now that I will need to move regardless. At least then I would have the option to re-settle elsewhere before school goes back and the year is in full swing. We would also consider offering some form of incentive like gift vouchers or reduced rent in return for access for open homes or additional inspections. At the end of the day if the tenant chooses to be overly difficult there won't be a lot we can do about it. They do however have a good relationship with our PM, so I'm hoping that will help.

Explain gently (in writing and via PM contact) that we intend selling the property as we wish to buy a PPOR where we now live interstate. The tenants are aware that this was our PPOR and only became an IP when we were moved interstate for hubby's work...so all very plausible (although not the real reason for selling).
Why give them any reason? I don't like lying; just don't tell them your reasons.
Hopefully our tenants will be willing to consider requests for Open Homes and the like
Don't they have to agree? :confused: I mean, I know it's easier if you can make them agree rather than have them trying to obstruct you, but they can't just refuse your right to have OFIs, surely?

Maybe selling with a lease in place would appeal to other investors. Just because you are selling the property doesn't mean that they will HAVE to move out...

All good points...honesty is the best policy...but that doesn't mean you have to justify your reasons for selling, to the tenant.

There are a variety of old threads on this site which discuss how to deal with the tenant during a sale. Read up...you will be inspired.

Back