Warner, Brisbane, Qld

Was looking at one of the Defence Force Houses in Warner just wondering if someone can give me some more info about this area, whats it like?

Thanks Mat.

Its considered outer north Brisbane. Ive never been there but would expect it to be new families and mid to low socio economic.

Warner 2008: 156 sales, median price $445k, average $472k.

Named after civilian surveyor James Warner, the area lies north of Brisbane in the Moreton Bay Regional Council. The suburb sits east of Lake Samsonvale and west of popular suburbs including Strathpine, Brendale, Bray Park and Lawnton. Much of the suburb is deemed park residential, however urban estate housing is also available. Many of the major roads have recently been upgraded in parts of Warner. Business in the suburb is made up predominantly of retail and light industrial development.

sold a lot of properties out there...

it's only a couple of minutes north of the Brisbane City Council area and is very close to the Strathpine commercial precincts.

The suburb is a mix of old a new...Old Warner you can buy an old fibro two story on a decent block in the mid 300's. Conversely, there has been a massive development program out there for the last 5 years or so that has seen several thousand houses going in. The newer houses aare largely four bed brick and tile lowsets and sell anywhere from about 420k for a small one to upwards of 600k for the flash houses on decent blocks.

Most of the sales i have been involved in have been around the early-mid 500k for a large 4/5 bedder on 600-850m2.

It is true that the area is largely regarded as low to medium socio area, but with the influx of building and the new Warner Lakes estates, there has been a very large influx of families and higher income earners moving out of the rat race of inner brisbane to get bigger houses cheaper etc.

infrastructure isn't too crash hot, though improving - there is a good shopping centre in Warner and the trains are around the corner in Bray Park and Strathpine. Bus services run regularly to the trains and into nth Brisbane.

several schools locally (public and private) and the area is very well placed to service the multi-billion dollar developments and gentrification in the brendale commercial/industrial precinct that is under way right now.

Warner Lakes is very similar in concept to North Lakes and Forest Lake in brisbane - master planned community with commercial precinct all around a water course.

IMHO - you can do ok out there if you are careful but I would look elsewhere than defence homes - better margins available if you look...just my 2c worth

hope this helps..
UC:)

I hated it. Imo, it's nothing like Forest Lake and Nth Lakes. Nth Lakes was owned by Delfin and sold to Stockland and Forest Lakes is Delfin and big names are reliable.

It's really far, very low socio economic area and poor infrastructure. For $450k I'd rather buy in Calamvale/Stretton.

Hi Sue, gotta disagree with you there...Forest Lake and North Lakes have both become part slum with major crime problems.. they do of course have many nice parts too though.

Warner Lakes is owned by PEET... www.peet.com.au who are one of the bigger names in the industry...and in many circles regarded highly when mentioned in the same breath as stocklands/delfin/trask/oxmar and other well known locals. When completed it will be larger than Forest Lakes and close to the size of North Lakes. It is only in its infancy at the moment - hence not much to see and a lot of infrastructure is still to come - schools and shops and transport are already local though!!!!

Geographically, it is also much closer to the city than North lakes and about the same distance as Forest Lake.

When completed, there will be a very large lake precinct. The first part of the development can be seen here...

http://www.warnerlakes.com.au/Uploads/Downloads/warner-lakes-master-plan-large.jpg

but there is more to come after this.

I think it's a bit expensive for infancy stage when you can pay the same price for developed areas.

but i really didn't like warners lake location, mainly cost I got lost for 2 hrs getting there. It's not off the highway like nth lakes.

ppl made a lot of money out of nth lakes and forest lake and springfield lakes..land there used to start at $40k. it will be interesting too see warner lakes in a few yrs time.

nth lakes has a lot of europeans. i don't know why but they just love the area. Our neighbour are germans.

I take your point, but when North Lakes started it was way more expensive than areas a lot closer in, both established and new. Areas like Mitchelton/Arana Hills/ Eatons Hill/ Albany Creek/Nudgee all had new subdivisions at the time Nth lakes was started.

if you go the right way its only a few minutes off the highway...where it whallops north lakes is that you can get in and out several ways, not one entrance for 20,000 homes like north lakes.

There are a number of people on this forum who have done well out of warner lakes - i have sold homes for two of them. as for cost of land - it's all relative...the 40k blocks were years and years ago - and that was the smallest of the lots 350-400m2...you can't get into northlakes for that now - and you're stuck down the back of the estate.

North Lakes does have a lot of Europeans - I have noticed that too...Interestingly there seems to be a lot of kiwi's and south africans moving to Warner.

each to their own i guess - I personally wouldn't live out there (warner - or nth lakes for that matter) , but there are a lot of reasons why I am interested to see how warner goes - the developments planned for the area will be very interesting indeed!!!!! and when Brendale is finished - WOW!! it is a very good thing being brand new and that close to an industrial suburb that employs tens of thousands of people.

cheers
UC:D

My prediction is for North Lakes to massively underperform in the medium to long term as all of those houses age at the same time and traffic gets worse.

If your looking at Defence housing then why not go for Enoggera, it is right next to the base and close to the city.

It's a bit like forest lake. We built our houses there in 2004 and doubled our money per house on completion then it hasn't moved much since 2005. It may go up $10k next yr and down $10k the next etc but it's positively geared, great for depreciation and have had the same tenants in there since new. The rent has also gone up quite a bit.

I think Nth Lakes would do well as an IP but I get a premium selling the house brand new and it's easier to get rid of. I don't really like Nth Lakes coz it's too far but prefer it to Warner. Can't complain though since Stockland gave me 4 mths settlement on the land and within that time frame, it went up about $$50k and Westpac did the valuation too! Will get back $120k, net profit is $100k....not bad considering the financial crisis. Westpac valuation on completion was very good, above expectations.

My next project is in Calamvale..a bit nervous though. Got a good deal on the land, house is dbl storey 42sq cost approx $530k to $550k. Each room has it's own bathroom. Targetting the ethnic community. In today's market the house would be listed at around $750k. If the valuation comes back over $700k, I will keep it as a rental and use the equity but, if not, I will just get rid of it.

Warner is NOT low socio-economic...some of the surrounding areas could be called that but it has one of the largest subdivisions in south east qld going on and selling well...that are some big numbers being spent on houses in the new areas and the older acreages can fetch well over the million mark.

as for far out??? well that depends on your perspective - it's 20km (ish) from the CBD, but then again you have everything you need out there with Strathpine, North Lakes, Redcliffe and Chermside centres within easy drive.

hardly Timbuktu and certainly not povvo ville...

Sue78 - your comment was actually quite insulting.

I live in Warner! :D

I earn a 6 figure salary and am university educated. So is my wife. We have been happily married for 6 years and have 3 kids. We own our house. We own our cars. We also have friends in Warner that are the same.

There are plenty of decent, professional people living out here, most of which have families.

I don't mind the 30 minute train ride into the city (where I work). It gives me a chance to catch up on some reading etc! We like it here, it is nice and quite, flat, plenty of parks etc.

Chermside is only 15 minutes drive away - the largest shopping centre in QLD and, as urbancowboy said, everything is nearby.

There are some parts of surrounding areas that aren't so nice, but don't you get that everywhere??

Very low socio economic my a*se!

Bob.

Back