Warning! Do Not Install Internet Explorer 7 Unless You Want Your Internet To Crash!!!

Just installed Internet Explorer 7 (the latest one) via the top of ninemsn.com.au website yesterday; restarted & everything on my internet went REALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SLLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW!!! Load a webpage & it takes 30 minutes & still doesn't load. Tried to uninstall IE 7 & did; but now the internet is still bloody slow! Might have to do a complete re-installation of everything. Hey if I do this, do I lose all my emails, etc via Microsoft Outlook??

PS, Im no expert but re-installed my entire operating system because the computer would not start and the cache had somehow been corrupted, everything was the same.

Maybe downloading IE7 tipped you over the limit of your ISP plan and you've been shaped. Therefore uninstalling IE7 won't help you.

What plan are you on? Do you have an upper limit before getting shaped?

Get Firefox already for crying out loud..

viva_firefox_eats_ie.jpeg

viva_firefox_eats_ie.jpeg

I agree with Dunc. I changed to Firefox about 2 years ago at the insistence of the resident 'Computer Nazi' (No 2 daughter) - wouldn't go back to IE for any reason! :)

Cheers
LynnH

I believe firefox askes you if you wish to transferre your IE setting to firefox. This includes your favorites.

Firefox shouldn't have any effect on outlook. So you'll still be able to use outlook with no troubles.

Firefox is much better. The tabbed browsing is a lot friendlier and easier to use not to mention spell check on all your posts.

Just for the record, there's actually nothing wrong with IE7. I've been using it for months on multiple PCs with no issues.

I would say the internet slow down was unrelated to installing it. Especially since un-installing it made no improvement. The shaping suggestion sounds possible but unlikely as it's only a 15Mb download.

You could have downloaded some spyware with it given it didn't come directly from microsoft.

Whilst I agree with the comments about Firefox, it's great, however I find that it stops responding on certain sites, eg. Shannon's car auctions site.

I change to IE7 to view the site and no dramas. I can't remember if I had this problem using firefox on WinXP pro, but I can easily replicate it on Vista. (Ok, beat me up for using Vista, I'm getting used to it). :)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers,
Beef

I change to IE7 to view the site and no dramas. I can't remember if I had this problem using firefox on WinXP pro, but I can easily replicate it on Vista. (Ok, beat me up for using Vista, I'm getting used to it). :)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Unfortunately many websites are designed specifically for Internet Explorer.. they leverage functionality in IE to display things in certain ways.. all in defiance of well accepted Web Standards..

As you've found.. on some occasions you may need to fire up IE in order to navigate some sites.. I use Firefox on Linux and I dont remember the last time I had a problem with a site.. that includes the Shannons site..

Back