Warren Buffet: Now is the time to buy

Buy American. I am.

By Warren E. Buffett

The financial world is a mess, both in the United States and abroad. Its problems, moreover, have been leaking into the general economy, and the leaks are now turning into a gusher. In the near term, unemployment will rise, business activity will falter and headlines will continue to be scary.

So ... I’ve been buying American stocks. This is my personal account I’m talking about, in which I previously owned nothing but United States government bonds. (This description leaves aside my Berkshire Hathaway holdings, which are all committed to philanthropy.) If prices keep looking attractive, my non-Berkshire net worth will soon be 100 percent in United States equities.

Why?

A simple rule dictates my buying: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful. And most certainly, fear is now widespread, gripping even seasoned investors. To be sure, investors are right to be wary of highly leveraged entities or businesses in weak competitive positions. But fears regarding the long-term prosperity of the nation’s many sound companies make no sense. These businesses will indeed suffer earnings hiccups, as they always have. But most major companies will be setting new profit records 5, 10 and 20 years from now.

Let me be clear on one point: I can’t predict the short-term movements of the stock market. I haven’t the faintest idea as to whether stocks will be higher or lower a month — or a year — from now. What is likely, however, is that the market will move higher, perhaps substantially so, well before either sentiment or the economy turns up. So if you wait for the robins, spring will be over.

A little history here: During the Depression, the Dow hit its low, 41, on July 8, 1932. Economic conditions, though, kept deteriorating until Franklin D. Roosevelt took office in March 1933. By that time, the market had already advanced 30 percent. Or think back to the early days of World War II, when things were going badly for the United States in Europe and the Pacific. The market hit bottom in April 1942, well before Allied fortunes turned. Again, in the early 1980s, the time to buy stocks was when inflation raged and the economy was in the tank. In short, bad news is an investor’s best friend. It lets you buy a slice of America’s future at a marked-down price.

Over the long term, the stock market news will be good. In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497.

You might think it would have been impossible for an investor to lose money during a century marked by such an extraordinary gain. But some investors did. The hapless ones bought stocks only when they felt comfort in doing so and then proceeded to sell when the headlines made them queasy.

Today people who hold cash equivalents feel comfortable. They shouldn’t. They have opted for a terrible long-term asset, one that pays virtually nothing and is certain to depreciate in value. Indeed, the policies that government will follow in its efforts to alleviate the current crisis will probably prove inflationary and therefore accelerate declines in the real value of cash accounts.

Equities will almost certainly outperform cash over the next decade, probably by a substantial degree. Those investors who cling now to cash are betting they can efficiently time their move away from it later. In waiting for the comfort of good news, they are ignoring Wayne Gretzky’s advice: “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.”

I don’t like to opine on the stock market, and again I emphasize that I have no idea what the market will do in the short term. Nevertheless, I’ll follow the lead of a restaurant that opened in an empty bank building and then advertised: “Put your mouth where your money was.” Today my money and my mouth both say equities.

It doesn’t surprise me that Warren Buffet is back in the markets before many others.

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that some investors do well in good times and do even better in bad times.

Other do poorly in good times and do even worse in bad times.
Interesting isn’t it?

What is it that differentiates that small group of successful investors from the crowd?

Many would say it is knowledge. But I don’t think that is right.

In Warren Buffet’s case of course he has access to financial data and some sophisticated modeling software, but so do most investment banks - and they have all gone broke.

In property its much the same – there’s always someone who’ll have more knowledge and research data than you – for example John Edwards of Residex has all the data and knowledge of sales data and Bernard Salt will know more about demographics and the way we live than most of us ever will. And some developers or architects will know more about town planning or construction that you ever will.

Yet knowledge alone doesn’t make them successful investors.

Some investors seem to attract wealth – and I’m not suggesting it is “the Secret” or he Law of attraction.

It’s the way they think – it’s their mindset.

Interestingly I just read that John Gandel, is back looking at buying property again. He is the guy who took over the Chadstone shopping centre from Myers years ago when they couldn’t make a go of it and built it into the size it is and leveraged it into a chian of shopping centres all over Australia.

Yes, we’re going though a financial crisis and a mjor change in the economic landscape. Over the next few years some investors are going to do very well. That’s the way it always has been.

Have done that about 3 months ago......so my money and mouth is in the same place!:p

Lets hope it does not get dislocated by a "king hit"!:D

Cheers
Sash

"Put your mouth where your money was.” Today my money and my mouth both say equities.

Remember though, Warren Buffet can afford a little more draw-down than most.

GP

It's all relevant; he's adding on a few more noughts to his deals these days than we are. It's his mindset that is important and the level of play just becomes what it becomes.

It's funny how it goes that way. My brother is 11 years my junior, and just starting on his road to riches, and when we get together for 100 beers and discuss stuff, and I tell him what our play level is, he's gob-smacked and can't believe the debt levels. He is literally worried about it for me.

It's over $1 mill in debt now, which for a few here is a big deal, while for a few others it's just spillage at the bar.

My wife and I are a bit "ho-hum" these days about it, but 8 years ago I couldn't have dreamed it or slept at night about it. Infact; 8 years ago we had absolutely no debt -consumer or investment - at all.

I haven't thought about what it might be in 5 more years, but I'm comfortable with the possibility and expectation that it could be $5 or even $10 mill.

As long as the total income is more than the total debt and I can sit on my backside by the pool I'll be happy.

I have been putting almost all my spare money into shares and bloody hope Warren is right and history repeats itself. I'm down $6,000 on paper but have made about $1,000 in my hand since about February. Keep in mind I've only put in $20,000.

It's all relevant
I assume you mean relative.

Rather than looking at how many dollars Buffet is putting into the share market, look at what percentage of his wealth is going in. I have no idea what it is, but I would guess that he could probably lose the lot without ending up on Skid Row.

And how much of it is leveraged?

GP

I am no Warren Buffet.....but I have sank 100k in shares in the last 3 months with a 66% gearing. So far so good....time will tell.

Hope, I don't end up in skid row thought! :p

Cheers
Sash

Rather than looking at how many dollars Buffet is putting into the share market, look at what percentage of his wealth is going in. I have no idea what it is, but I would guess that he could probably lose the lot without ending up on Skid Row.

GP

I am no Warren Buffet.....but I have sank 100k in shares in the last 3 months with a 66% gearing. So far so good....

Are you being totally honest with us? Are you ahead, or merely alive, justifying your position by presuming things can only get better?

Yep....on paper I have lost about 10k....but because I have been writing Covered Calls...I have made 14k in the last 3 months. So I am ahead by about 4k.

The last few months I have premuims of of 4-5K per month ...yes that translates to 4.5% per month when compared to the 2-3% per month...but this is due the very high volatility....I can't see myself making premiums of more than $2500 this month as the premiums will be much lower, unless the share market pushes WBC past $24 (bought WBC at $24) and NAB past $24.50 (bought NAB at $24). Have 2000 shares in each so do the maths.:D

Note also, that I am covering the margin lending interest via covered calls.

Cheers
Sash

Are you being totally honest with us? Are you ahead, or merely alive, justifying your position by presuming things can only get better?

GP

Quite correct - relative.

Yes, that is another (relative) factor - % of wealth going in, and I think he'd always be keeping some in reserve - as we all should.

Last edited:
Well if were talking percentages I've thrown 86% of my money into shares. Not very conservative I know but i figure I'm in a good position for it. I'm young, living at home and have no debt and very few expenses.

Today people who hold cash equivalents feel comfortable. They shouldn’t. They have opted for a terrible long-term asset, one that pays virtually nothing and is certain to depreciate in value. Indeed, the policies that government will follow in its efforts to alleviate the current crisis will probably prove inflationary and therefore accelerate declines in the real value of cash accounts.

and i've been saying this since the start. if inflation is high and IRs are low - why cash as an investment? your dollar is being eroded every day.

it's like buying a sports car in the hope it'll "hold it's value"...

Well I did a very scarey thing on Friday and bought RIO at $62.
. I figure I will play around with trading if I get the nerve. They seem to go up and down very fast and (correct me if I am wrong)it seems to be the right time to do this.

Regards JO

As a matter of interest, I ran a scan to see how many stocks closed higher today than they did about 3 months ago (65 trading days to be exact). The results for different categories are:

ASX100: 26 (there are currently 101 stocks in the ASX100)
ASX200: 40
ASX300: 51 (currently 299 stocks)
All Stks: 196

Limiting to those that closed 10% or more higher:

ASX100: 7
ASX200: 16
ASX300: 23
All Stks: 108

And 25% or more higher:

ASX100: 2 (BEN, COH)
ASX200: 7 (+SIP, PTM, HIL, RMD, ANN)
ASX300: 9 (+SHG, RDF)
All Stks: 50

The one with the highest gain from those listed is SIP at just over 55%.

Interesting, when compared with the All-Ords, which has fallen about 19.25% over the same period.

Cheers,
GP

Thanks. It is early days yet!

I will be more confident when I have made money over a 12 month period.

Have been looking to write a call again post 30 Oct. .....the premiums are not as good based on current share prices.....it will only make $2500-3000 in premiums this month. Oh well at least it covers $500 in interest. :rolleyes:

So far so good....time will tell.....

Cheers
Sash

You've done well then Sash. I dip's me lid. :)

Well I did a very scarey thing on Friday and bought RIO at $62.
. I figure I will play around with trading if I get the nerve. They seem to go up and down very fast and (correct me if I am wrong)it seems to be the right time to do this.

Regards JO

I think thats a good idea. I planned to do the same when I bought at $82 recently. Things haven't gone to plan as of yet though obviously

Well if were talking percentages I've thrown 86% of my money into shares. Not very conservative I know but i figure I'm in a good position for it. I'm young, living at home and have no debt and very few expenses.

Sorry, should re-phrase; the % of money into a particular transaction.

For example; you may have the ability to spend $100k on an investment.

You put $10k into one particluar share purchase - especially if it a bit on the speculative end of the spectrum.

Or, someone who has $500k to spend on property, before loans are bought in. It's harder to only spend 10% on one property though.

Instead of putting the whole $500k on one property, you spread across a few cheaper ones, using say, $100k for each one as deposits with the rest of the funds in loans. This way you might buy 5 properties with the $500k instead of one.

Of course, as you wealth level increases, $500k might be end up being just the stamp duty on one transaction!

Back