water leak from ceiling and cornice

Recently, I did an inspection of my house in Elizabeth East, Adelaide.
Tenant showed me quite a few leak marks on the walls from the cornice downwards.

Last year, only one area in ceiling had a leak just below the location of evaporative cooler (on the roof). There were some noise problems in the evaporative cooler so I had got it repaired (machine removed, repaired and refitted) and thought I had solved the leak as well as I thought evaporative cooler was leaking the water into ceiling. But now the paint is peeling off in that area.
This is a tiled roof house.

Can somebody pls suggest of any tradie/builder in the area who can inspect and give me a quote for the repair (roof pointing? or?).

Thanks
Sanjay

Make a choice ;

You're going to either need your ;

• Ladder
  • Silicon gun
  • 1 x $ 2.99 tube of silicon

.....ring around for the best quote between $ 600 and $ 800.

ooooh you cant do that, dazz. a licensed plumber has to change a washer or oxy a copper pipe, you know....

you even need a professional door opener to insert your key in the front door and turn the knob! you just never know when a breeze is going to blow and slam the door hard on your nose, it could turn ugly.

Recently, I did an inspection of my house in Elizabeth East, Adelaide.
Tenant showed me quite a few leak marks on the walls from the cornice downwards.

Last year, only one area in ceiling had a leak just below the location of evaporative cooler (on the roof). There were some noise problems in the evaporative cooler so I had got it repaired (machine removed, repaired and refitted) and thought I had solved the leak as well as I thought evaporative cooler was leaking the water into ceiling. But now the paint is peeling off in that area.
This is a tiled roof house.

Can somebody pls suggest of any tradie/builder in the area who can inspect and give me a quote for the repair (roof pointing? or?).

Thanks
Sanjay

mate, paint peeling is not necessarily a sign of a further leak, its usually a sign of excessive damp......like soaked plasterboard starting to dry out.......which could mean your leak is actually fixed.

1x scraper
1x paintbrush
1x 1L tin of flat white.
1x stepladder
1x hour of your time.

I would definitely recommend painting the affected area with a sealer to prevent the stain seeping through the fresh paint.

Did the tenant also mention the leaks when they were happening, or just when you did an inspection?

We always have our tenants tell us straight away.

Actually, I didn't want to make it a saga of tenant vs REA vs me (landlord).
Cut the long story short, REA says they don't know whom to call for this kind of problem as they deal mostly with the problems requiring handyman and not a builder. Tenant says....they were always complaining but landlord has got the bad REA who doesn't care about the house. Landlord (me) says.... I need to change the REA. REA says...don't believe tenants and take everything they say with a pinch of spices.
As I live in Whyalla, 400km away from this property and am in a full time job, it is not possible for me to go there and repair the leaks. I'm not experienced in this kind of stuff as well.
So....looking for the right tradeperson to give me a quote.

Regards
Sanjay

Cut the long story short, REA says they don't know whom to call for this kind of problem as they deal mostly with the problems requiring handyman and not a builder. Tenant says....they were always complaining but landlord has got the bad REA who doesn't care about the house. Landlord (me) says.... I need to change the REA. REA says...don't believe tenants and take everything they say with a pinch of spices.
As I live in Whyalla, 400km away from this property and am in a full time job, it is not possible for me to go there and repair the leaks. I'm not experienced in this kind of stuff as well.

Regards
Sanjay

Does the RTA state that all maintenance repair requests must be in writing?

We have some tenants who say they have reported issues, when they haven't.
If there isn't a written request (in our case) the tenancy board even agrees, we haven't been notified.

In my opinion RE agent is being lazy. It is their job to find out how to fix the problem and have the leak and damage fixed.

Also, might want to give insurance company a call. The leak may be covered, and in that case the insurance company can organize the tradies.

In my opinion RE agent is being lazy. It is their job to find out how to fix the problem and have the leak and damage fixed.

Also, might want to give insurance company a call. The leak may be covered, and in that case the insurance company can organize the tradies.
Sounds like it if the said they don't know who to call!? Goodness me would it be possible to find out then!

Regards
Sanjay
Maybe ring up the company that installed the unit and complain too them first
it may be out of level,or the flashing have not been set right in the re-install
if they don't want to cover you hire a plumber to to reset the flashing,and relevel the ac unit..imho..

Actually, the leakage is happening at many places in the house when raining (as explained by the tenants). I think the original leak caused by evaporative cooler has stopped after the repairs. I sent a tradeperson there to give me a quote, but he does only the ceiling and wall repairs and doesn't do the roof repair. He told me to contact a roof repairer. Tomorrow, I'm going to contact "roof doctors", got their number from internet. Any suggestion?

Back