water leaking from shower

Hi, guys

please advise me on what to do?

one IP (cladding house) has water leaking problem with the shower base. It has been leaking before I bought it. I bought it early last year. some pathy work had been done, but the leaking is happening again.

the bathroom is jointed with 2 bedrooms. Both the 2 bedrooms has one corner jointed with the bathroom. one corner has grown mould last week (which has been treated). from visial inspection, there are some cracks on the grout. I had a builder (not sure how good he is) looked it, he told me that a few tiles on the corner of the shower are loose.

after talking to a few tilers

I am considering 2 options;

1. to re grout the shower and apply shower plug, but this might not fix the problem, the leaking miht come back again. it would be about $340 and takes a few days.

2. to re do the shower(removing existing tiles, water proofing, and re tile), which costs $1600, and one week.

I am not sure which way to go. and also there is only shower in the house, so the tenants may not be able to have shower while the shower is under work.

plese shed some light.

regards

I don't believe there is an easy way out for you,

One way is to get access to the house with a tiler (Be prepared) Rip out the couple of tiles in question and have a good look for damage and leaking area,perhaps some quick drying silicon (Water proofer) might hold it until you have good access with no tenants.
The tiler can replace the couple of tiles while he is there,if it all works out,they can shower that night.

If the tenants complain,offer them a few days free rent for as long as the shower cant be used for :)

Start by ripping out all the silicone at the corners and the around drain. Clean the joints with a butter knife/small metal spatula.
Clean the joints with some acetone to fully remove old silicone. Let it dry, often you will get water seeping out of the wall. Make sure the shower is not dripping too.

Reseal with wet area silicone and don't use the shower to its fully cured.

I've redone about 6 showers this way so far and only one kept leaking. That did have to be completely redone.

Often the silicone looks fine but as soon as you start removing it the loose parts become
apparent. Start early and the tenant will be able to shower that night.

thanks guys for your valuable advice.

I am getting my PM and her husband (& PM's husband is a tiler) to have a good look at it soon.

thanks again.

Hi, guys

please advise me on what to do?

one IP (cladding house) has water leaking problem with the shower base. It has been leaking before I bought it. I bought it early last year. some pathy work had been done, but the leaking is happening again.

the bathroom is jointed with 2 bedrooms. Both the 2 bedrooms has one corner jointed with the bathroom. one corner has grown mould last week (which has been treated). from visial inspection, there are some cracks on the grout. I had a builder (not sure how good he is) looked it, he told me that a few tiles on the corner of the shower are loose.

after talking to a few tilers

I am considering 2 options;

1. to re grout the shower and apply shower plug, but this might not fix the problem, the leaking miht come back again. it would be about $340 and takes a few days.

2. to re do the shower(removing existing tiles, water proofing, and re tile), which costs $1600, and one week.

I am not sure which way to go. and also there is only shower in the house, so the tenants may not be able to have shower while the shower is under work.

plese shed some light.

regards
You must take the 2nd option if you want to stop the problem. You have to get to the core of the problem, in this case the membrane is compromised,(if there is one.) We come across this problem often, we will not patch these jobs- we fix them.

Back