Water resistant watch?

OK, so I needed a new work watch.

I don't like spending too much on a work watch. It gets knocked around something terrible, knocked and scratched, gets covered in oil and petrol and other nasty stuff. About $100 I usually spend. The $20 Big W sort of watch don't last, and I would never buy a watch for a few hundred.

So I buy a watch, a Lorus, from a jewelery store, for $100, after telling a sales assistant what it will be used for. It is water resistant to 50 metres. Apparently you can't get water proof watches anymore, they are just water resistant to varying degrees. Just water resistant means just spalsh resistant, however I assumed water resistant to 50 metres would mean it can take a bit.

So I wear it in the shower and the pool, and it's got water in it.

Take it back to the shop with my warranty the next day, and some smartie woman sales person, possible the jewelery store owner or manager tells me you can't wear it in the pool or shower and has a bit of a laugh. The woman who sold it to me the day before was not in the shop.

Anyway, I don't want this useless watch anymore. They take it and tell me it will get sent away to Lorus, and they will probably tell me I shouldn't have worn it in the shower or pool?

I ended up buying a new watch from the same store. This time a Casio. Water resistant to 200 metres this time. This watch has been fine, but so have all the others I've bought over the years, except for this shonky Lorus one.

Who would expect a watch, water resistant to 50 metres, would get water in it from a shower or pool? Just wondering?

See ya's.

I recall being told many years ago not to wear a water resistant watch in the shower. I think it was because the heat swells the rubber seal and allows water in and/or the force of the water coming from the shower is very different to immersing in the ocean or pool.

Even waterproof watches are not meant to be worn in the shower AFAIK.

So the lady may not have been being a "smartie" at all :).

I wear my 50m WR watch 24hrs a day - it goes in pool, snorkelling, shower, kids bathtub, sink EVERYWHERE.
I've had it for 2 years and like you I expect it should be able to.

If they tell you it's water resistant to 50m, you can take it 50m down and expect it to work!

Why would you buy another from the same shop that gave you incorrect info in the first place?

This is why I always buy surf brand watches. Haven't had a (water related) problem yet.

(I'm particularly fond of Rip Curl)

I was told not to wear 50m water resist watch in shower because of the steam. Most of the time I forget to take it off and it works fine.

If they tell you it's water resistant to 50m, you can take it 50m down and expect it to work!?

That's not quite correct I now know. It's not designed to work 50 metres underwater despite what it says.

Why would you buy another from the same shop that gave you incorrect info in the first place?

I felt like a bit of a dill when the woman laughed at me. The woman who sold it to me was not there, and I'm a bloke who hates shopping, so I wanted a watch that worked, I wanted one there and then and that's what I did.

Plenty of more important things to worry about than a $100 buggered watch that lasted 24 hours.

See ya's.

Have had the same Timex Ironman (WR 200) for the last 12 ish years. Been diving to 50m+, multiple reno's (including several coats of paint that I've just scratched off after a shower), kayak/mountain bike/orienteering trips, swim training, cycling, ironmans (ironically not what it was originally bought for - got into the sport about three years post watch purchase). I think it's on it's second or third band, it's finally given up most of the extra rubber bits around the face but still works a treat even with a daily morning surf swim and the occasional surf (fibreglass board).

Currently fogs up in the shower (having lost the external seals) but even with a morning dip it still works fine. Am currently hunting another one of the same model.

original cost was around 200 but have seen them under 100 since.

Have had the same Timex Ironman (WR 200) for the last 12 ish years. Been diving to 50m+, multiple reno's (including several coats of paint that I've just scratched off after a shower), kayak/mountain bike/orienteering trips, swim training, cycling, ironmans (ironically not what it was originally bought for - got into the sport about three years post watch purchase). I think it's on it's second or third band, it's finally given up most of the extra rubber bits around the face but still works a treat even with a daily morning surf swim and the occasional surf (fibreglass board).

Currently fogs up in the shower (having lost the external seals) but even with a morning dip it still works fine. Am currently hunting another one of the same model.

original cost was around 200 but have seen them under 100 since.

Oh yes!! Finally another Timex user!!

I posted about my Timex Marathon in August last year.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939428#post939428

It now has Vietnam added to the list of places this lillte watch has gone - and it is still going!!!

The Y-man

Can't go wrong with a Casio G-Shock of some sort for work for future reference topcropper.

I hear good things about G-Shock too - know people who do a lot of outdoor work including muddy road work and chain sawing - and these things just keep on going on.

The Y-man

I ended up buying a new watch from the same store. This time a Casio. Water resistant to 200 metres this time. This watch has been fine, but so have all the others I've bought over the years, except for this shonky Lorus one.

I also have a Casio 200 m
30 th birthday present now @ 45 and it goes just as new and looks good
Been scuba diving to 110 feet many times on its 4 th or 5 th band
3rd battery
Never been pressure tested due to the cost @ $150 to test the watch to its
200m rating only 2 places that I know of that can do that one in syd & Perth

Back