Water Saving

Hi

We have just paid for all of our properties to have water saving devices installed in them as part of our personal attempts to make a difference; and, as a way of assisting our tenants to save a few dollars.

This has been really well receioved by the tenants on both fronts and I can recommend such actions to you, as investors.

Have fun

Dale

Hi

We have just paid for all of our properties to have water saving devices installed in them as part of our personal attempts to make a difference; and, as a way of assisting our tenants to save a few dollars.

This has been really well receioved by the tenants on both fronts and I can recommend such actions to you, as investors.

Have fun

Dale

Hi Dale, while I applaude you on your green attitude in watersaving and can understand how your tennents will be happy to save a few buck's, I have to ask the question.

How do'es this help your cashflow ?

Not trying to start a knife fight here, I was just interested as we had thought of doing the same with the addition of energy saving lightbulb's.

I always have fun,:)

Boat Boy

We have done numerous reno's and as a rule fit the water saver shower heads. Not because of any altruistic effort but just because that's what's available at the right price ;)

With these installed over a number of years we do find that we get complaints about 'the water presure' because the tenant can't get enough water out of the shower head.

On tenants exiting properties we find that tenants have manipulated the shower heads and basically broken them.

With tenants gaining experience about watersafer shower heads you may even find tenants eliminating your property from their short list based on the type of shower heads. (obviously it could also swing the other way).

Cheers

I like the idea of doing something positive for the environment. What costs are involved please?

So do I, but for us being 700 Klm away would mean $500 plus in plumbers fees to start with.

And why would we be concerned about water wastage?

Almost every time we're in Rocky their letting water out of the Barrage, usualy a miilion + litres a day, so we were told.

The light's may be a different issue, but it's hard to get anyone in CQ excited about using less coal.

BB

I'm in the middle of renovating one of my IPs

Put in some 9L per min flow restrictors yesterday. $5 for 4.

Put them on the shower, vanity, laundry and kitchen. Took me no more than 10 minutes.

I reckon I'll save $5 in water in a single rates period.

Thanks Tinni...guess I'll have yet another trip to Bunnings these hols. Just spent a motza on gardening stuff there this morning....I was in gardening heaven.:D

All these devices are a great idea and worthwhile combatting water wastage, however there are some less expensive exercises that people can adopt that will help conserve this much needed resource, eg:

1. Shorter showers, use a timer. But if you insist on longer showers, don't feel bad, take a bucket in with you, place it on the floor to catch any unused droplets that can be poured over a thirsty garden bed.

2. Don't pull the plug on your bath water, fill a bucket load and again, tip it over the garden.

Just a couple of ideas, that I'm sure can help keep your garden alive, and don't worry, it will value the drink even if you did just bath in it!!! :eek:

One of the boys told me last night they heard someone on a tv show say that because of the water shortage, they were limiting themselves to a four minute bath:D

Wylie

drawing bore water is still using water though. for the amount that i pay in water rates i have no concern about the usage i have. The solution to cutting back on water usage in residential homes (which only use 14% approx of water anyway) is simple - stop trying to achieve social engineering by charging rates on rentable values and start charging for the full value of the actual water that people use. Brilliant in its simplicity, however politically stupid. It's all just part of the attempt to maintain a classless society, which mostly hurts the middle income earners.

We've put AAA Water Saving Shower Heads into the IP's in the past and never had any complaints; we also have one in our house andmust've justgot used to the difference.

An added Bonus with these products is the rebate.

I recall watching a show on TV recently where they were aiming to save 100,000 litres p/annum or so of a property

This was achieved by a new Toilet (Installed by Kenny of the movie) and a myriad of products such as a Rainwater Tank, Grey Water usage, underground reticulation etc..

I have a friend who's putting solar powered cells out in his property just out of Perth, the excess electricity he generates goes back into the grid and earns him money ;)

There was also a neat wind powered generator a while back on 60 minutes or some such show (it looked like a large egg beater) that looked very interesting and was small in comparison to the huge machines you usually see; interestingly it could power a whole house (never been able to find the generator again through google though :( )

when you work out how much gets wasted its worth looking at devices to save a bit here and there - it all adds up

On another Note, The West Australian published a chart a few weeks ago of how much water is used by the mining companies AMAZING..

Hi

This will not help my cashflow at all. To be honest, I gave no thought at all to the cashflow when we decided to do this.

The cost was about $100 to $150 per property including the labour to install them. This cost is nothing in comparison to the value of the homes.

We hope that our actions will make a small difference to the environment and if doing this also helps our tenants then they may wish to stay even longer and that in itself will assist our wealth.

Have fun

Dale

Hi Dale, while I applaude you on your green attitude in watersaving and can understand how your tennents will be happy to save a few buck's, I have to ask the question.

How do'es this help your cashflow ?

Not trying to start a knife fight here, I was just interested as we had thought of doing the same with the addition of energy saving lightbulb's.

I always have fun,:)

Boat Boy

We hope that our actions will make a small difference to the environment and if doing this also helps our tenants then they may wish to stay even longer and that in itself will assist our wealth.
Dale.

They may WISH to stay longer, and can also WASH a bit longer :D .

Sorry guys.

Regards
Marty

Back