Water & Sewerage on Vacant Land

Hi Guys,

I received a water & sewerage bill for my block of vacant land the other day. It's in the ACT if that makes a difference. Is that right that they should charge me for water and sewerage when there's no house on the block? I understand rates, but not water & sewerage? Should I expect electricity and gas bills too?

Also, why are the Government and Actewagl so stupid as to actually send the bills to my vacant block? God knows then how they managed to get the "Final notice" to my correct address. Surely at least ACT revenue knew that the block was vacant and my current address seeing as I paid stamp duty through them for a vacant block! Idiots!!

there is usually a service fee and usage fee, it would be the service fee for having a connection available to the lot. Once u start using the connection you'll be charged for usage ....my last water bill had a service fee of $200 and usage of about $70 . Bit odd that it costs more for the service than the usage

It is weird. I guess it's cause usage doesn't cost very much.

My bill is for about $400 so I don't know what it comprises of. I've asked them to send me the original bill seeing as I've never received one prior to the final notice. I'm certainly not paying a bill for something that they can't even tell me what the breakdown is. They've put my account on hold until then.

If you look at your council rates notice you will also see a garbage service charge - just because the truck runs down your street.

Likewise water & sewer (possibly stormwater as well) - just because it is there you get a service availability charge.

Yes, they are dumb enough to send the bill to a vacant block - it depends on the address that your solicitor put on the transfer documents.

I received a water & sewerage bill for my block of vacant land the other day. It's in the ACT if that makes a difference. Is that right that they should charge me for water and sewerage when there's no house on the block? I understand rates, but not water & sewerage?

Your question is rather vague and ambiguous.

When you mention 'rates', do you mean council rates, or water rates ?? I presume you mean water rates, but some people think council rates when they simply mention rates.

When you mention water and sewerage bill, do you mean water rates, water usage, sewerage discharge or a combination of all three ??

I reckon it would be fair to expect bills for everything that you are liable for as the registered proprietor of the land, as prescribed under any Commonwealth, State or Local Govt authority Act.

You simply just need to read what they are.

When you've clarified exactly what you are asking, without mixed up terminology, and then performed a reasonable amount of research based on the primary governing documents, perhaps you could enlighten everyone else reading this thread.

Calling people and/or Govt depts "idiots" won't solve a thing, other than to assuage your own shortcomings on the matter.

When you mention 'rates', do you mean council rates, or water rates ?? I presume you mean water rates, but some people think council rates when they simply mention rates.

When you mention water and sewerage bill, do you mean water rates, water usage, sewerage discharge or a combination of all three ??

I understood the terms, but I think terminology varies between jurisdictions.

In Brisbane:

'rates' is widely understood to mean council rates and extras (waste management, green waste, bushland preservation levy, environmental mgt and compliance & state govt charges#) - charge number one for the owner.

'water and sewerage' is widely understood to mean water and sewerage, including usage charges. - charge number two for the owner.

The QLD governments a while back managed to separate them and send you two bills so it doesn't seem as much. Do you only get one bill for the lot in Perth?

IMO it won't be long till the govts manage to spin off a third entity so we can pay the same 'rates' and 'water and sewerage' but get slugged with another bill for something else (maybe waste disposal). - coming to a property near you, charge number three.

I reckon it would be fair to expect bills for everything that you are liable for as the registered proprietor of the land, as prescribed under any Commonwealth, State or Local Govt authority Act.

yep. But it doesn't stop us having a whine about rates/taxes/charges/levies.

# - Brisbane city council (BCC) rates notices includes a voluntary payment, of I think, $30 towards the restoration of city hall. 'Yes please! I'd like to pay more!'

Hi Guys,

I received a water & sewerage bill for my block of vacant land the other day. It's in the ACT if that makes a difference. Is that right that they should charge me for water and sewerage when there's no house on the block? I understand rates, but not water & sewerage? Should I expect electricity and gas bills too?
It's common for owners of vacant land to pay an amount that covers the cost of maintaining the water and sewerage network that passes their property. At least when the services are connected the connection fee will be in the order of low thousands rather than the high amounts that greenfield connections cost.

Also, why are the Government and Actewagl so stupid as to actually send the bills to my vacant block? God knows then how they managed to get the "Final notice" to my correct address. Surely at least ACT revenue knew that the block was vacant and my current address seeing as I paid stamp duty through them for a vacant block! Idiots!!
Their computer sends the bills to the property address unless you have the foresight to let them know that the postal address is different.

yes, they will charge you for this and if you don't pay they will lodge a memorial against your title, trash your credit file whether you asked for the credit or not, litigate at your expense, dispose of the property and recover their rates and all recovery fees. you can go whistle dixie but they will most certainly get paid.

Sorry Dazz, I should have been less vague in my posting.

Where I mentioned rates, I meant council rates. I understand why they charge council rates on vacant land as these rates are associated with the land, not the house.

In regards to the water and sewerage bill, the bill just came with an amount, not a breakdown, but I would assume it is for the water rates and sewerage discharge fee. I wouldn't think usage would come into effect seeing as I have not used any water on the block.

I just didn't understand why I was being forced to pay for water & sewerage when there's no toilet, or a tap, or a shower to use on my vacant block of land. It just seemed a bit strange to me.

Over the weekend I did some research into this and found that it is up to the state's waterboard as to whether or not they charge water & sewerage charges on vacant land. It turns out that in the ACT they have chosen to enforce these charges.

I found this handy little document. http://www.actewagl.com.au/~/media/...ter-and-sewerage-prices-brochure-2012-13.ashx. It seems that clauses 1.6, 3.5, and 3.6 apply to me.

So that clears it up.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Excellent work lucky one.

Good research. I love to see people find the info out for themselves and then do the right thing and post for others to read and learn from....IMO, exactly what this forum was intended to do.

Top stuff - kudos.

Back