Web Domain Dilemma .net.au vs .com.au

Hi All,

Being a property based web forum I thought you guys would be a perfect sounding board for my web address dilemma.

I am just about to launch a new property service based website but have a bit of a dilemma re which domain to choose and would love to hear everyones thoughts and preferences.

I have registered numerous domains, however annoyingly the best and catchiest variation is only a .net.au address. I have the .com.au variation on backorder which is inactive and due to expire with the existing holder soon, however this could take months due to the laborious renewals process and there are of course no guarantees i'll get it.

The other alternative is my business name then .com.au, which is perfectly reasonable however it isn't nearly as catchy or self descriptive, but on the plus side I also own the .net.au variation and in negotiations for the .com, so will be future proofed from competitors.

I know this must sound very wishy washy because I can't provide specifics in case some opportunist alerts the holder of my preferred domain and holds me to ransom, but just wanted to get your thoughts on the whole .net.au vs .com.au?

Hope this makes sense :eek:

Doesnt really make any difference. Most people visiting your site won't know the difference - focus on the visits moreso than anything else (by ranking well on search engines and having worthwhile content / service offering).

As you probably know, in Australia, a .com.au has to match a business name (other countries dont have this rule). It also costs more than a .net.au

Backorders very rarely come through in my experience.

Have you looked at the availability of sans .au names?

Buy both. It is not expensive. That way if someone types in .com.au you can redirect to .net.au

Problem solved.

Thats just it. The .com.au is not currently for sale, just back order otherwise I would. The international.com is owned by a VERY large UK based organisation and I have literally no chance of getting this without paying millions.

As you probably know, in Australia, a .com.au has to match a business name (other countries dont have this rule). It also costs more than a .net.au

Thanks guys, although I don' think the above is correct. My understanding is that it just has to have a solid relationship to the business it represents.

i.e Joe Blow Accountants could own www.taxexpert.com.au even thought their business name is not tax expert pty ltd, because their is a solid relationship to the business it represents.

Doesnt really make any difference. Most people visiting your site won't know the difference

As you probably know, in Australia, a .com.au has to match a business name (other countries dont have this rule

False and false.

Change you business name and get the com.au available. You dont need to be a business anymore to register a com.au or even have a matching name. That went out a few years ago.

I would buy ALL domains related to your business. In any case, *.com.au is much better than *.net.au.

If your business name is not similar to the domain name you wanted, then I would suggest you register a simple business name. It would strengthen your position if any one challenges in the future.

Thats just it. The .com.au is not currently for sale, just back order otherwise I would. The international.com is owned by a VERY large UK based organisation and I have literally no chance of getting this without paying millions.

Even if its due to expire it doesnt mean you will get it. There is some lapse of time they have to renew it which they probably will. Especially if the domain has any pr. Also you could be outbid for the domain when if it does pop up.

.net.au domains are worthless and would be a major marketing mistake for your new business.

.net.au domains are worthless and would be a major marketing mistake for your new business.

Thank you ok180. I think I agree, although I'm curious if this is just your opinion or based on something a little more solid?

My business name.com.au is probably going to be the winner, with a .net.au redirect. I just don't want to pass up the opportunity of utilising the catchy .net.au as it is very easy to remember and a common phrase used in the markets I operate so has natural synergy.

Ultimately I guess I can always switch if I do secure the .com.au variation at a later date.

Thank you ok180. I think I agree, although I'm curious if this is just your opinion or based on something a little more solid?

My business name.com.au is probably going to be the winner, with a .net.au redirect. I just don't want to pass up the opportunity of utilising the catchy .net.au as it is very easy to remember and a common phrase used in the markets I operate so has natural synergy.

Ultimately I guess I can always switch if I do secure the .com.au variation at a later date.

Yeah i know a bit about this stuff ;)

The name may sound catchy to you, but how many succesful websites do you see with. .net? Its all about .com or if your local the country extention. There is even some debate in seo circles that .net doesnt rank as easily as .com.

Yeah i know a bit about this stuff ;)

The name may sound catchy to you, but how many succesful websites do you see with. .net? Its all about .com or if your local the country extention. There is even some debate in seo circles that .net doesnt rank as easily as .com.

Very good points. Thanks ok180 and everyone else, dilemma solved. For now at least :D

Get both domains - Go with .com.au and redirect the .net.au
.com.au is to remember and sounds more reliable from .net.au (which sounds like a 'leftover').

Re seo value (I work in the industry) - A properly designed site with great content and good exposure will still rank well despite the .net.au or .com.au - this is where you should focus :)

As for going to .net and then switch to .com later - There will be some value loss even if you do all things correctly from technical perspective.

As a frequent online user I'd go the com.au every time. It's what people expect.

And if the huge international com is the same name as what you're wanting to use then I'd find a different www name and get both the com and com.au ...

I'd also prefer if you used your business name (or variation of) as, if I'm looking for you online, that is what I will use.

I have a couple of domains and always get .com only, for simplicity sake.

However, I don't think it matters at all. If you build and promote your business well, the URL is superfluous.

The pirate bay is massive, and I'm there regularly. They change their TLD all the time. I don't even know what it is these days - Doesn't matter, Google knows what it is. I just start typing pirate bay and the link is there before I even hit enter.

Same with a few other websites I visit reasonably frequently. Pass the Popcorn, EZTV, torrentz. (Can you guess why they keep changing their TLDs?)

Thanks again guys. So I've decided to go with companyname.com.au with companyname.net.au as a redirect. I am in the process of negotiating the .com although the current owner is playing hardball and I'm not sure what to offer, given it is only really relevant should I wish to go international or on sell to someone who does.

So the new question is how do you calculate the value of a domain?

Fear of loss is my only real justification at this stage, and I'm currently not that fearful. So far I've just offered in the $100's, and cant get a straight answer re price as to what the seller wants. My main problem being that when I go public with my business the domain will automatically increase in value as the seller will now have leverage.

Any tips?

He's waiting to see how desperately you want it ... and it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

If you don't really need it, and it's about the expire, personally I'd just back away and keep an eye on it for when it does expire ... but maybe offer $1,000, but indicate that you're not really fussed if you don't get it ... might change the owners mind.

As a part of any new business planning, I check domain names when coming up with names. If a domain is taken, I come up with another name. I think it's important to have a matching, if not close correlation between business name and domain. I advise my clients this as well (I'm a web designer). You could get creative with it. A random example could be a b&b named seaview, with the domain stayatseaview.com.au

Just a thought.

After reading some comments, I will also add that a domain name which sells a product or service rather than a brand, looks spammy. SEO probably likes it ( at least until google change the rules), but I do not. This is just my opinion. Brand recognition all the way.

After reading some comments, I will also add that a domain name which sells a product or service rather than a brand, looks spammy. SEO probably likes it ( at least until google change the rules), but I do not. This is just my opinion. Brand recognition all the way.

Hi Jaspn, do you mean domain that contains string of keywords?
No, Google don't like it - they have made algo changes to make sure these domains don't come up too often (whether the changes work or not is another matter). And any decent SEO will not recommend keyword ridden domain unless it is your actual business name - building brand is better long term :).

I've paid up to US$10,000 for a .com domain name in the past ... it was a really, really good one though and the site being built around it (still under development) should earn that back pretty quickly.

A couple of weeks back, I sold a not-so-premium 4 character .com domain for US$3,500.

Many domain sales negotiation services won't even let you make an offer for a .com unless you are prepared to offer more than US$5,000.

If you haven't had a response, they probably aren't taking you seriously. I get unsolicited emails offering me $50 or $100 for some of my premium .com domain names all the time. Most I just ignore. Someone offered me $150 for one of my .com domains last month, I told them to add two zeros to the end and then come and talk to me.

Have you had any response at all from them?

How important is this name to your business? How will it affect your brand recognition and marketability without it? It really depends on the nature of your business as to how important the name is. Some businesses are very brand sensitive, and a great domain really is quite important. Other types of business could succeed on virtually any name.

How much did you pay for your latest computer? If you were opening a new shop, how much would you spend on signage? If you were a tradesman, how much would setting up your truck/van cost?

Back