Weird statements about investing

When discussing property, you'll always hear some statements that SOUND reasonable but are, in fact, total BS. Spruikers and property seminars use a lot of these (your home is an asset, property always goes up, etc). There are a lot of negative ones too, such as debt is bad, no one will lend you money, you'll go bankrupt from all the debt, only the big guys win in investing, etc.

Then, there are those ones that are SO weird that it's worth noting.

I was emailing a friend about investing, and he suddenly asks (quoting exactly):

"u need to consider what to do with these aged properties...since u know the capital growth for units are decreasing..... and they usually have a life of about 6-7 yrs....have u thought of the depreciation effect? are u going to do something about it?"

Rigggghhhhhhttttt. My properties are not going to appreciate after 6 or 7 years. Tell THAT to people who buy 20 year-old unrenovated units all over the country. I'll happily pay the price of a unit on the lower north shore from 13 years ago, since it hasn't go up since then! I could pick up a unit in Artarmon, Wollstonecraft, Waverton for <$200k!!! Sold!

The point is, it MIGHT sound SORT of reasonable to a newbie. I can imagine developers, if not spruikers, selling new properties using this. Well, yes, units depreciate because the building depreciates, so growth might stop when the unit becomes worthless...... Yikes! Don't touch the old units!!! They're never going to appreciate!!!! (Ooh look! A pig flying outside my window!)

Kind of shook my head and laughed. This is a guy who asked me whether I might be interested in partnering with him to increase the power of our capital. If this is the sort of investment wisdom he will be contributing......

This is the sort of insanity you hear from people. It's hard enough for us to concentrate on investment with all the naysayers and doubters. We also have to contend with people who THINK they know what they're doing. Mind you if my friend invests based on his theories, I'll be able to buy HIS properties cheap when he stuffs it up.

Just a warning to newbies: if you hear anything that doesn't sound right (whether too positive or too negative) about property, ask someone who actually invests in property. Better yet, post it here and ask people to comment on it.

Does anyone want to contribute the 'twilight zone' investment theories they've heard over the years?
Alex

Last edited:
One of the most common comments I get is, "Property is too risky. What happens if the tenant trashes the place?"
My response, "Beaudy, I get new for old replacement on insurance and can claim all that beautiful depreciation again, AND I can raise the rent. Trash away." :)

i was explaining my vague understandings, ideas and goals to my girlfriend last night. Came about as her mum thinks i work too much, i'm always working and i should enjoy life. (I have 2 jobs, do oncall and shift work. exhausted right now, but i know its worth it.)

my response was well, i want to stop working full time by the time im 45, with at least 1M worth of property, and then i can enjoy life.
and she started asking about how you handle the debt, and what happens if it all goes bad, or somethnig goes wrong.

sure, its possible. but i have faith and confidence in my ability to manage, and its a bit like share investing (which i dont do)
you have to know when to cut your losses. (i don't intend to have any :p)

another one i've heard is "i wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that much debt."

Here is one my father always says, not that he is against property investing.
How can houses double every 10 years without wages doubling?
Robo

Yes , That is the type of comment I hear most too.

"Aren't you afraid the tenant will damage the house?"

NO, I am more afraid I will get to old age and be eating Pal on toast for breakfast.
Better to DO something . Even if I muck it up, I can say I did my best, and didn't waste my life being afraid of shadows.:)

Brenda Irwin said:
One of the most common comments I get is, "Property is too risky. What happens if the tenant trashes the place?"
My response, "Beaudy, I get new for old replacement on insurance and can claim all that beautiful depreciation again, AND I can raise the rent. Trash away." :)

Bit off topic, sorry. What company to you use? Don't they have an excess per incident.

eg Unless you can prove he smashed in the wall and the window at the same time you have to pay excess twice.

Brenda Irwin said:
i get that one all the time ... and after dozens of properties and nearly 8 years we haven't had any trashed - only one let messy - and never had one that didn't pay the rent either.

Hi alexlee,

The one I always hear constantly and religiously believed it to be true until I dipped my toe in the water was "Commercial property is more risky, more vacancies, more trouble, less growth.....generally more (insert bad stuff) and less (insert good stuff)".

There was invariably the nodding of heads in unison whenever I looked around and someone said this, at say a seminar or in general conversation amongst investors. Most fell completely silent directly after the comment was made, not having any concrete examples to counteract with, which emboldened the chap forcing the people to consider ressy only....mainly 'cos that's what they were flogging at the time.

At the time the only person who disagreed with this comment was my wife's Uncle, yet he was the only chap I knew who actually had some dollars at risk in the area. Now I just smile and hope everyone keeps swallowing that line of thought, absolutely marvellous device to keep the competition down.

Trouble is, the funds and institutional buyers we compete against, unfortunately don't believe it for a minute.

Dazzling makes an excellent point, which is that even experienced investors can poo-poo an strategy because they don't use it / understand it. e.g. millionaire residential investors who use buy and hold may have doubts about lease options, for example, and vice versa.

The bottom line is, always ask someone who is actually doing what you want to do. NOT someone who SELLS what you want to do (i.e. if you're looking to invest in property, don't ask a spruiker, who only sells what you want to do and doesn't do it themselves). Just because someone is experienced in one field doesn't mean they know everything.

I have a basic understanding of residential, and I believe in it, and when someone mentions commercial I always think 'low LVR, potential high vacancies, lower growth'. But people DO make fortunes in commercial property, and I hope I'm honest enough caveat my concerns with 'but I have never done commercial so all this is just theory'.
Alex

Even comments like "oh I wouldn't do that , I'm not interested in making money" or "theres much much more important things in life than money" etc etc.
As soon as you say "property" people hear you say "money", and its an open invitation to label you as greedy. There are too many stereotypical assumptions about the "type" of person who chooses to accumulate property. The stereotype isn't me at all and probably isn't most of us. And I resent being labelled so I try to restrict any discussion to sharing with like minded individuals who don't think I'm crazy.

Which I'm not :)

Tizzy said:
Even comments like "oh I wouldn't do that , I'm not interested in making money" or "theres much much more important things in life than money" etc etc.

Which begs the next question: so why do you spend 8, 10, 12 hours a day at the office? Wouldn't you prefer to spend that time with your partner / friends / family?
Alex

I have an excess of $600 per IP. Thankfully, damage has never been really, really bad, so I haven't ever bothered making a claim. Works well, each insurance premium had a discount this year. :)

I have no time for negative or cynical people, however unfortunately in climbing the mountain of wealth creation its a certainty youll eventually meet them.

Push them aside, Ill see you at the top ;)

RJ

It's not so much the cynical and negative. It's the ones who genuinely believe in some pretty weird 'facts'. The facts that sound logical, seem to make sense and spoken by people who really believe in what they're saying.
Alex

I've heard of people going to a financial planners expecting to get good financial advice that is in their interest not the financial planners :p

Hi mdk92,

Hey, I've heard that one too! Is it true? :)

I always groan when after sitting through a presentation on how well an investment proposition has done in the last few years; the presenter then finishes with the standard: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." line.

Regards,

Kenny

long ago - when just starting out - as part of the loan agreement westpac made us sit thru a presentation by one of their "financial advisors". i think he realised we were a lost cause to him 2 minutes after sitting down ... but we did diligently sit thru his presentation.

the things we do for a loan!

Back