Weird statements about investing

Dazzling said:
The one I always hear constantly and religiously believed it to be true until I dipped my toe in the water was "Commercial property is more risky, more vacancies, more trouble, less growth.....generally more (insert bad stuff) and less (insert good stuff)".

I got exactly these comments from a friend over lunch today. He has 3 IPs and trades shares, so is hardly an inexperienced investor.

Tony

Why invest, you might be dead tomorrow...

A fellow I used to work with used to ask me why invest, "You could do all that work and die tomorrow".

My comment, "I don't plan to die tomorrow"

Bargain Hunter said:
A fellow I used to work with used to ask me why invest, "You could do all that work and die tomorrow".

My comment, "I don't plan to die tomorrow"
My comment would be that you could also do absolutely nothing and live for a long time yet. With not much to live on.

Hi all
We started investing in IP's 9 years ago (in Perth!), & the comments were along the lines of 'you'll go broke', and 'you're mad, & 'what ARE you doing?' Those same people are now saying 'it's OK for you, you lucky ba*****s, YOU'VE got money'!
Another friend who said we were mad at the time, bought into an ostrich farm instead!!!!!! (much safer investment, he said............!)
Ah well..............................
Annie

robo said:
Here is one my father always says, not that he is against property investing.
How can houses double every 10 years without wages doubling?
Robo
Hi Robo,

1. Perhaps you can collect and assemble up the various press cuttings or/and even use the thread on "Investing in the Anchorage Estate" to trace how the land/housing prices have more than doubled over the last 4 years from 2002 to 2006, though the average Perthrite salary may not have doubled during the same period, to further discuss and educate your Dad, using this present real life example.

2. This is especially if he has previously thought poorly about the WA, its remoteness and its low property markets and then contrast it to how Perth has now becomes the second most expensive capitial cities by 30th June 2006, to live in after Sydney.

3. For your kind update and considerations, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back