West Sydney sub-division feasibility?

There may well be the possibility of a detached dual occ on that size lot, with the potential for subdivision.

It's too small for a standard torrens sub.

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on title types etc, do you mean by that that essentially a detached dual occ would be the same scenario as a Granny Flat but without the size constraints? As is, we could end up with 2 houses on there and lease each seperately but wouldn't be able to sell each individually?

...but not on their own title, and not be able to be sold individually?

It depends.

You may well be able to subdivide them. I have only done a very brief look over the controls, but you could potentially meet the requirements for lodging a DA for the development and subdivision at the same time.

I would suggest either engaging someone to do a full study, reading the documents yourself, or speaking with the duty planner at Council and have him work through the documents.

Thanks Ideo.

When the time comes to make our next move, is a full study something The Design Partnership would be able to supply, or is it too small a development?

Can anyone recommend a project management company that could see the whole thing through for us, from design & development submission to managing the build etc?

Cheers.

Based on that size, I wouldn't even build a granny flat.

People do build granny flats at the back based with dimensions similar to yours, but it would create a very cramped space. It you used a building space of 16 x 3.75 it could work for the outside space.

Knock down and building a duplex would be better, however would it even be worth it.

Required min resultant lot size is 400sqm. So you need at least 800 sqm to start with. If it is a battle axe then you may even need to take out the driveway section. But... your lot size is 630 sqm!
Am I missing something here??

Your are not missing anything. in fact you are right on the money.

Block can;t be subdivided under current DCP of Penrith.

As others said you can build (STCA and numbers working in your favor) attached dual occupancy under strata title.

maybe I am going off in a different direction here.

I thought strata title is a form of subdivision? But I think with a strata title, you can't chop the rear and then build or sell the vacant land, but with Torrens title you can do? with strata title subdivision to occur the structure/building must be exist.

with this in mind i though you will need to lodge DA for detached dual occ. Once it is approved and dwelling fully constructed, you can have the choice of:

1. leave 2 dwellings on the 1 title (detached dual occ). disadvantages is you cant sell dwelling individually. Adv is 1 title, 1 council rate,
2. strata title it, so you sell each individually

To achieve strata titling, it need to satisfy the dual occ criteria first...
Based on the reading, subject land is zoned 2b is ok for detached dual occ, but will need total block size to be 650m2

I think Penrith allows strata title, whereas Blacktown does not.

you will need to lodge DA for detached dual occ. Once it is approved and dwelling fully constructed, you can have the choice of:
:
2. strata title it, so you sell each individually
Are you allowed to strata title a dual occ.? Wouldn't that mean all granny flats can ne strata titled if they are in the right zone?

Are you allowed to strata title a dual occ.? Wouldn't that mean all granny flats can ne strata titled if they are in the right zone?

A dual occupancy is defined separately to a secondary dwelling (a granny flat).

E.g. a Dual Occupancy is defined as follows under the Standard Instrument LEP:
dual occupancy means a dual occupancy (attached) or a dual occupancy (detached).

Note. Dual occupancies are a type of residential accommodation?see the definition of that term in this Dictionary.

dual occupancy (attached) means 2 dwellings on one lot of land that are attached to each other, but does not include a secondary dwelling.

Note. Dual occupancies (attached) are a type of dual occupancy?see the definition of that term in this Dictionary.

dual occupancy (detached) means 2 detached dwellings on one lot of land, but does not include a secondary dwelling.

Note. Dual occupancies (detached) are a type of dual occupancy?see the definition of that term in this Dictionary.

A Dwelling is defined as follows:

dwelling means a room or suite of rooms occupied or used or so constructed or adapted as to be capable of being occupied or used as a separate domicile.

A Secondary Dwelling is defined as follows:
secondary dwelling means a self-contained dwelling that:

(a) is established in conjunction with another dwelling (the principal dwelling), and

(b) is on the same lot of land as the principal dwelling, and

(c) is located within, or is attached to, or is separate from, the principal dwelling.

So, you cannot strata subdivide granny flats as they have to be established in conjunction with the principal dwelling on the site (the main house) and cannot have a separate title, whereas a dual occupancy development means there are two, separate principal dwellings.

I understand it's a different legislation between dual off via council versus GF via SEPP, and the criteria for approval differ, and could go on days mapping out the good/bad.

Apart from quicker and less headache for approval for GF, the main concern is dual occ requires open space and parking that some blocks can not met.

Question:
For with new or existing build of GF that was approved under SEPP, but it meets council criteria for dual occasion, could we apply thru council via DA to get dual occ? Obviously cost to get this may require drawing, council fees/ bond etc but I think you won't need S94 fees again

Last edited:
Back