Westbrook (Toowoomba)

Just wondering what thoughts people have (perhaps Queenslanders?) about the Westbrook area? What's it like as far as public transport, development, growth prospects, etc?

(As an aside....If anyone is interested - they are selling off the old prison up there in various parts of land, buildings, etc.... interesting opportunity for some investors).

Hi Posnow,
No other replies so I will give you my thoughts. Not sure of your depth of knowledge but Westbrook is not a suburb of Toowoomba but is a satellite town although only 10 minutes out of the southern side of town. Westbrook is a very small group of original houses surrounded by a large group of new brick places on reasonably large blocks. Even in the central part of Toowoomba public transport (buses) are not very efficient unless you want to go to a large shopping centre or school so the services to or from Westbrook are few and far between. There is a small group of shops around the Westbrook Tavern (nice spot :D) although I think the pizza shop closed recently.

There is no land scarcity as it is surrounded my endless kilometres of farms and I am sure Clive owns more than a few acres out that way ready for development.

All that being said it is a popular area for people wanting to get out of town a bit and have a larger block with a shed etc. Very popular with the older generation and surprisingly so with some younger people as well.

For an investment property I would consider other areas as it is certainly not cheaper than in town although is the right side of town for the uni/bunnings/boral and some other larger employers. It is not convenient for a commute West to the resource centres though.

Post any other questions and I will answer them with what I know. My cousin recently moved out there and some a lot of workmates live in the Westbrook/Wyreema/Hodsonvale area.

Back