Westpac 2 and 3 year fixed

Bank just got back to me. They will not budge from the advertised rate and .2 reduction for premier package. Not an inch. I said leave them variable and I will Persue other lenders. Think ill try again in a week or two and see how I go.

Cheers

Bank just got back to me. They will not budge from the advertised rate and .2 reduction for premier package. Not an inch. I said leave them variable and I will Persue other lenders. Think ill try again in a week or two and see how I go.

Cheers

with the amount of emails we are getting indicating "rate lock" is very important i would think that other lenders are closely looking at their fixed rates. in my opinion westpac will not budge so you might be at risk on missing the boat with other lenders. st george (part of westpac) can offer this rate!

with the amount of emails we are getting indicating "rate lock" is very important i would think that other lenders are closely looking at their fixed rates. in my opinion westpac will not budge so you might be at risk on missing the boat with other lenders. st george (part of westpac) can offer this rate!

I'm far more cynical than you and suggest that the reason why the banks are saying that is because they want you to pay extra and the yield curve is still negative.

Westpac can be very frustrating. we currently have all our lending with them, cross-coll up the wazoo all thanks to a series of unfortunate events:(
It ticks me off that with over 2m with them I can't get more than .8 off, yes, you read correctly .8!!!! It will probably take another 18 months to 2 years to be in a position to play hardball, but when I can, I WILL:D

Hi Joan,

I also have over $2M in loans with WBC and mine are even ugly as they're through a Hybrid Discretionary Trust (HDT). But even so, my personal banker just got the state manager to approve a 100bp (1%) discount off their standard variable rate for me. Gets it down to 5.51% I think which is good enough. If you're in Caboolture it should be the same state manager...

Mine are all crossed up too, but I'm refinancing my construction loan now and hope to remove all the crossing through that process. I'll post on here in another thread how I get on.

Cheers,
Michael.

I also have over $2M in loans with WBC and mine are even ugly as they're through a Hybrid Discretionary Trust (HDT). But even so, my personal banker just got the state manager to approve a 100bp (1%) discount off their standard variable rate for me. Gets it down to 5.51% I think which is good enough. If you're in Caboolture it should be the same state manager...

As of a few weeks ago, Westpac are offering 1% discount for new lending over $500k. Despite the large discount at this price point, this only brings them in line with other lender due to their already high standard variable.

Westpac really don't seem to be interested in being price compeditive and haven't been for years. Their current pricing is only a further slap in the face to existing customers.

Unforutnately with a HDT, there isn't much in the way of alternatives these days. :(

As of a few weeks ago, Westpac are offering 1% discount for new lending over $500k. Despite the large discount at this price point, this only brings them in line with other lender due to their already high standard variable.

Westpac really don't seem to be interested in being price compeditive and haven't been for years. Their current pricing is only a further slap in the face to existing customers.

Unforutnately with a HDT, there isn't much in the way of alternatives these days. :(

WBC definitely not interested in pricing if >$2M needs state manager approval for 1% only to bring it down to 5.51% when you can borrow as little as $250k elsewhere and get max 5.55%...

WBC definitely not interested in pricing if >$2M needs state manager approval for 1% only to bring it down to 5.51% when you can borrow as little as $250k elsewhere and get max 5.55%...

Try 5.44% :)
WBC are a bunch of rip off merchants so I tend not to use them where possible. It's not as if their policy has that many niches apart from their DUA which the other 3 have anyway (apart from non-resident loans).

I personally use Suncorp for HDT's - the credit assessors seem very clued up on them. NAB used to be excellent but have been dropping the ball a bit lately with HDT's.

Regards

Shahin

Try 5.44% :)
WBC are a bunch of rip off merchants so I tend not to use them where possible. It's not as if their policy has that many niches apart from their DUA which the other 3 have anyway (apart from non-resident loans).

Haha yeah I did say max :)

Thanks Michael, i would be keen to hear how you get on. I would love to refi but can't at the moment as I know we don't service, anywhere! But I am pretty sure we will in a year or two and then I will drive someone here nuts sorting it all out. :D

I'm far more cynical than you and suggest that the reason why the banks are saying that is because they want you to pay extra and the yield curve is still negative.

plus 3. dont confuse marketing spin from financiers with economic forecasting. Even if it was forecasting, your likely to get a better result reading your own chickens entrails.

I was able to negotiate Westpac's 2 years fixed down to 5.09% from 5.29%. They wouldn't come down to 4.99% even when i mentioned that their subsidiary St George is 4.99. A family member, who also has a loan with them, is going to try to get it down further by threatening to walk - so far, they haven't budged.

I now need to get it signed off by the state manager which probably won't be a problem. I'm happy with 5.09%

I was able to negotiate Westpac's 2 years fixed down to 5.09% from 5.29%. They wouldn't come down to 4.99% even when i mentioned that their subsidiary St George is 4.99. A family member, who also has a loan with them, is going to try to get it down further by threatening to walk - so far, they haven't budged.

All that effort to get a smaller rate drop. Your best bet is just to get a loan offer from another lender then you will get it much more easily.

AMP seems to have the best 2 year fixed which is now down to 4.89%. I've found that they are fairly straightforward to deal with.

I'll keep an eye on this rate over the next few months to see whether anybody can match them.

I've been trying to convince CBA to give me 4.99 for three years, but they said no way.

on the strength of your post I have emailed them again :D

Also tried this for clients with no luck.

Didn't think it would happen, not until another one of the big banks drops the rate

Back