Westpac 2 and 3 year fixed

Just a quick update after telling NAB I was going to leave and requesting break costs they came back to me and matched ME offer of 4.99% for 3 years. They also stated there would be no rate lock costs. This all came about after it was coming up to 7 weeks after I requested 2 loans being fixed for 2 years and it not being done. I guess the moral of the story is that if push comes to shove there is room for banks to negotiate.

Just a quick update after telling NAB I was going to leave and requesting break costs they came back to me and matched ME offer of 4.99% for 3 years. They also stated there would be no rate lock costs. This all came about after it was coming up to 7 weeks after I requested 2 loans being fixed for 2 years and it not being done. I guess the moral of the story is that if push comes to shove there is room for banks to negotiate.

or there was a rate cut and they it now makes sense for the bank????

Westpac has dropped its one-year fixed rate home loans to 4.79 per cent, while its Bank of Melbourne and St George divisions lowered their one to five-year fixed rates to below 5 per cent this afternoon.

Westpac has dropped its one-year fixed rate home loans to 4.79 per cent, while its Bank of Melbourne and St George divisions lowered their one to five-year fixed rates to below 5 per cent this afternoon.

I can't work out their thinking. Westpac have got the lowest 1 year fixed but the highest variable

I can't work out their thinking. Westpac have got the lowest 1 year fixed but the highest variable

obviously that's their market position, and that's where they work. If all lenders operate in the same market space without any particular niche or focus it would be a pretty boring life : )
thanks

Rolf

Just a heads up. I was at the WBC budget briefing last week in Brisbane and a few points were raised by their State Manager and National GM of Commercial Banking:

1. When the RBA drops the cash rate at the moment, the banks are all asking not whether they should pass it on in full, but how much further they should go. They don't want to be the first to pass on more but know there's scope to do so.

2. I've already mentioned in my other thread on that speech by Bill Evans, that he reckons the bottom of the rate cycle is likely to be mid-2014. But he reckons there's only another 15bp in downside in the fixed rates and when they turn up they turn up fast.

3. My personal banker and I were talking about all the hot fixed rates in the market at present and he said "watch this space" for another movement by WBC this week. I mentioned St George at under 5 and I think he was suggesting that WBC might be back there again shortly. But he didn't say anything more than look for a new rate announcement from WBC this week.

Cheers,
Michael

3. My personal banker and I were talking about all the hot fixed rates in the market at present and he said "watch this space" for another movement by WBC this week. I mentioned St George at under 5 and I think he was suggesting that WBC might be back there again shortly. But he didn't say anything more than look for a new rate announcement from WBC this week.

Cheers,
Michael

Wish that I could have got that hint earlier as I would have fixed at 4.79% for one year. Too late now as I have fixed for 2 years with them - I shouldn't grumble as 5.09% is not a bad rate.

1 year fixed rates who cares I say. It's all about the 3 and 2 years for mine and I reckon with the Aussie coming off this is the bottom

Yes I'm not interested in 1 year either.

Already having a 5.8% coming off in March 2014 and a 4.89% in April 2015.

I want to get something locked in for at least 3 years <5% :) 5 years at 4.99% and I would be super happy

That is what the media was stating, but its incorrect, St George only 1-3 years under 5%. 4 and 5 year rates are still much higher.

The Westpac website doesn't reflect 1 yar fixed rates below 5%. It has it at 5.44%.

Yes, its quite a clever marketing move by westpac. They havent moved their 1 yr rate, they have moved their discount for 1 year rate under their pro pack.

So whereas usually pro pack get a .15 or .2 discount off fixed, this special means they get .65 off, FOR A LIMITED TIME, rush in and sign up for $395 package fee a free credit card and an offset account that doesnt work while the loans fixed anyway.....

Back