Whalan, NSW????

Vaughan you make a good point. And yes, I know all the big boys from RPdata and The Sydney Morning Herald say the same thing. But in suburbs like Mt Druitt there are no high sales.:)

Also, the median is directly affected by the amount of sales more so then the average. The median can shift 10-15k with one “normal” sale. Whereas the average wouldn’t be affected as much.

I guess there is no perfect system. At the end of the day, nothing beats good old common sense.

I would not buy in 2770 unless there are crazy yields and insta-equity up for grabs (will require significant reno work thanks to the current western sydney hype)

Don't get caught up in it...neutrally geared stock can be found in much 'nicer' areas...

I have an IP in Whalan, rent is $360 pw and could probably be revised up a bit.

3 or 4br?

What I dont get is why people pay that kind of rent in 2770 when there are much nicer houses in much nicer suburbs nearby for similar $ per week.

3 or 4br?

What I dont get is why people pay that kind of rent in 2770 when there are much nicer houses in much nicer suburbs nearby for similar $ per week.

Nearby? Only thing nearby at that price would be St Marys. And thats like going from the fry pan into the fire lol!

Nothing in Minchinbury or St Clair at that price. These areas have alot of riff raff as well.

Sometimes people are willing to pay extra to stay close to family, school and friends. Keeps the kids happy.

Nearby? Only thing nearby at that price would be St Marys. And thats like going from the fry pan into the fire lol!

Nothing in Minchinbury or St Clair at that price. These areas have alot of riff raff as well.

You mean like myself and skater? :D

Honestly, St Clair/Erskine Park is little to no comparison to Whalan/Tregear/etc in terms of housing and tenant quality.

As a comparison, I live in a 3br mid 90's renovated brick veneer home with two living areas in one of the best streets in the suburb and pay $370pw.

As a comparison, I live in a 3br mid 90's renovated brick veneer home with two living areas in one of the best streets in the suburb and pay $370pw.

$370pw is a bargain. You wont find that now.

No, I dont mean you or skater lol. I have spent some time in your area(s) and I have noticed trouble makers (just like any other area I suppose).

BTW, I know a house in your area that cost nearly 1 mil (house and land). Multiple ensuites etc etc. Overcapitalised or what?

Rents in St Clair seem to be all over the place, really supply and demand based. One month a 3br place will be 370pw next month 400pw for similar. I have been here a year and bit in this place so I am not on a particularly out dated rental amount.

There are a couple of houses around for 600-750k which havent sold in a year or more of market, they are being unrealistic. A million is just crazy.

I would not buy in 2770 unless there are crazy yields and insta-equity up for grabs (will require significant reno work thanks to the current western sydney hype)

Don't get caught up in it...neutrally geared stock can be found in much 'nicer' areas...

Yes, cause every person that lives in 2770 trashes their homes.:rolleyes:

3 or 4br?

Unless it's VERY nice, $360 is over market for Whalan. Rents have stabalised and even gone south just slightly.

To go out of 2770, you will pay around $50-$80 more for a similar size house. I guess some can't afford it, some are ignorant, some prefer to be near family/friends and others make a conscious desicion to keep the extra money in their pockets. Of the latter, you get those who want to blow it on smokes, booze, drugs, then those that spend on consumer goods & their kids, still others that put it towards savings.

Sometimes people are willing to pay extra to stay close to family, school and friends. Keeps the kids happy.

I wouldn't say there's a LOT of riff raff. Of course, it goes without saying that no matter where you are you will get some, but mostly, the quality of the residents is completely different.

I have known of one or two from 2770 (renters), who 'made it' and moved into St Clair for a more prestigious address, only to find that they brought themselves with them and could not budget for the higher rent, only to go back to 2770.

You mean like myself and skater? :D
Yep! We're the riff raff!

Mine's a 4 bedder. It would bring in more rent, if it were on the market, but I wouldn't use the local Agent. He never has good rental prices. Great for the tenants though!

Yes, cause every person that lives in 2770 trashes their homes.:rolleyes:

not sure how you came to that assumption

I'm saying that anything half decent and rentable is getting picked up by mum and dad investors for inflated prices and the only real way to pick up a bargain and make money in 2770 nowadays is buying a dump and renoing

not sure how you came to that assumption

I'm saying that anything half decent and rentable is getting picked up by mum and dad investors for inflated prices and the only real way to pick up a bargain and make money in 2770 nowadays is buying a dump and renoing

I assumed that "Western Sydney Hype" was a typo & you meant "Type".:eek:

An easy assumption considering the many 'experts' on the area that have never ventured out West.

Mind you, buying a dump & reno'ing has always been a valid strategy if you've got the time & skills to do it.

My future inlaws live at Minchinbury in a 6 year old place they built in a street with similar quality homes. Probably the only thing it has in common with Whalan is the postcode.

My future inlaws live at Minchinbury in a 6 year old place they built in a street with similar quality homes. Probably the only thing it has in common with Whalan is the postcode.

And yous want to change the post code! right! Never!

You cannot run away from your roots. Minchinbury is the product of The Druitt.

You cant choose your relatives. lol !

Back